Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:35 PM

476 posts, read 748,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
If you scroll down, it'll show a grid with prices. I don't know how up-to-date is is though, so you'll probably want to call for a quote.

Consumer Guide To Individual Health Insurance : Brochures : Bureau of Insurance

"Standardized Major Medical Plans (Community rates – actual rate may be up to 20% higher or lower based on age and geographic area)"
Thanks for the info, Reloop! Great starting point when speaking with an agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default ME granted exception to key provision of Obamacare

How does Maine's newly granted exception to Obamacare impact an individuals health care in Maine?

"The Associated Press reports:
The federal government Tuesday granted Maine a waiver of a key provision in President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul, citing the likelihood that enforcement could destabilize the state’s market for individual health insurance
The U.S. Health and Human Services department said in a letter it would waive the requirement that insurers spend 80 cents to 85 cents of every premium dollar on medical care and quality improvement. Instead, the letter said, the state could maintain its 65 percent standard for three years, with the caveat that HHS intends to review the figures after two years.
The decision makes Maine the first state to receive a waiver of the requirement. Similar requests are pending from Kentucky, Nevada and New Hampshire."

Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
It sounds like things will remain business as usual until 2014.

Of course most reimbursement office employees and directors in hospitals will more than likely tell you that they'll believe it when they see it.

"The Affordable Care Act allows states to petition to delay the federal standard until 2014 on how much money from premiums must go to medical care for the individual market. Administrative costs tend to be higher on those plans than on insurance plans provided through employers."

The bolded is the caveat. A large majority of people are underemployed and/or work for places which do not even offer coverage in the first place, much less affordable coverage. There really are a LOT of people who work and don't have any coverage at all. Self-employed people in particular are ones who just don't go to a doctor or end up self-pay in an ER or walk-in clinic.

Oftentimes small business would love to offer their employees coverage, but they can't afford it either.

Either way, health care coverage as we've known it for the last few decades is simply not sustainable with the demographics shift of baby boomers who are retiring and will require more services as they age. As we are so fond of saying here, "There is no free lunch." If we want the latest and greatest technology - simply put - that *ain't* cheap.

The generations who are supposed to pick up the tab where boomers left off now have the prospect of having to change jobs even more frequently, and oftentimes, those jobs don't offer affordable coverage. To me, it boils down to jobs - yet again. Laws which strangle small businesses who may otherwise band together to pool some sort of coverage also don't help any either IMHO.

I suspect that's one reason this waiver was given.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Just checked the Consumer Guide link and those prices are ridiculous. To get what I'm paying now I would have to have a $15,000 deductible.

Seems it would be cheaper for me to save up that amount in my own bank account and use it when I need it.

I have never seen health insurance costs so freakin' high for people. Definitely something to keep in mind as I save up to move.

Unbelievable.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Just checked the Consumer Guide link and those prices are ridiculous. To get what I'm paying now I would have to have a $15,000 deductible.

Seems it would be cheaper for me to save up that amount in my own bank account and use it when I need it.

I have never seen health insurance costs so freakin' high for people. Definitely something to keep in mind as I save up to move.

Unbelievable.

Here is the latest rage for those who are fortunate enough to have any insurance coverage at all. It's a tax-deductible savings account.

Publication 969 (2010), Health Savings Accounts and Other Tax-Favored Health Plans

I'm with you 'tho. I think you're better off eating good food, exercising and saving your money in a sock.

Sorry, not to be flippant, but really - I have very good health coverage and yet when the oil bill comes due, I can't pay my deductible and copay, so I wait to see a doctor until I can. Payment is expected when services are rendered (as it should be).

Still, I consider myself VERY fortunate to have it.

It will also be interesting to see if this waiver will be extended past 2014. I think it's impossible to predict at this point.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:22 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post

Unbelievable.
Welcome to Maine. The Legislature ran out the health insurers 20 years ago. HSA's will go the same way if we don't continue to reinforce the State and Federal Legislatures.

The present laws are made to implode the entire system and leave people demanding Single Payer BS.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Welcome to Maine. The Legislature ran out the health insurers 20 years ago. HSA's will go the same way if we don't continue to reinforce the State and Federal Legislatures.

The present laws are made to implode the entire system and leave people demanding Single Payer BS.

True, and greedy profiteering in the health care arena (while they still can) certainly doesn't help either.

Still, back to the waiver - IMO, it shows a glint of the actual problem that the lack of decent jobs (and the loss of the ones we once had before outsourcing became all the rage) which has befallen us. It's true that legislation has caused a whole other issue, but Maine has been dealing with this problem for a very long time.

Guess what started around 20 years ago? HMOs and pharmaceutical advertising. "Got this? Got that? Go see your doctor." Another hand in the proverbial till.

It's definitely time for a change of direction IMHO.

Last edited by cebdark; 03-15-2011 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: added

Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
....It's definitely time for a change of direction IMHO.
absolutely!!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
absolutely!!

I think we should start with buying local and supporting small business with regulation that supports them and doesn't squash them.

I call it 'back to basics' 101
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine