Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

I don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 AM

467 posts, read 1,125,519 times
I like it. Route 1 in our area is usually bone dry within hours after a storm. DH grumbles about the effect on the truck, but he's always out there spraying up underneath after a road trip. A recent trip to a mechanic in our area had the guy asking how come this '97 was in such good shape underneath.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 AM

880 posts, read 2,346,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I don't like it.
And you don't have too, but people expect the roads to be clear. If everybody stayed off the roads when it snowed, there would be no need to put down salt, sand, or pretreat. This is assuming that there would be no emergencies.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 AM

502 posts, read 1,736,378 times
43 years in maine and I have never seen a truck running around putting down brine. I am sitting here beside myself with amazement.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:40 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
And you don't have too, but people expect the roads to be clear. If everybody stayed off the roads when it snowed, there would be no need to put down salt, sand, or pretreat. This is assuming that there would be no emergencies.
I know. People often want a lot of things from their government.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
43 years in maine and I have never seen a truck running around putting down brine. I am sitting here beside myself with amazement.
It's a newer technology that has taken a foot hold here within the last five years or so. It is very popular in the mid-western states and northern to north western states.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,530 times
I've spoken with several MDOT engineers about this stuff, as well as a good number of body shop owners. Both groups love it. Basically the brine dries before the snow starts falling, then melts the snow into a slush that keeps packed snow from adhering to the road surface, allowing plows to clear the roads down to pavement very easily. Along the way, though, that salty slush gets splashed up underneath cars and trucks and collects behind brake lines and inside body panels. Body shop guys have told me they've seen three-year old cars with the rocker panels shot through with rust because of this stuff. It's really evil junk, and it's used because motorists insist on being able to drive 60 mph on bare pavement even in the worst weather.

Maine used sand and salt for decades and we got alng just fine. This new brine solution, though, is cheaper to use and doesn't require the spring clean-up we all see each year.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:11 PM

489 posts, read 1,211,685 times
From my observation, over here in WI it seems the DOT only uses the brine mixture on bridges and overpasses and only in the late fall and now in the spring when the moisture will freeze on these surfaces. In winter I've only seen them pour on the salt.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 PM

Here is the interesting part about this. People complain that brine destroys their cars, but it is really no worse than the salt/snow mix that splashes under your car. People are getting this stuff on their cars because they are driving during storms. The brine is applied to help keep roads clear for people to travel on. Maine grows annually so there are more people on the roads thus more road maintenance is needed. This stresses town and state budgets which drives them to find cheaper and better alternatives to old methods. More people drive during the winter. People complain that brine destroys their cars....

For curious people, I was at the last MDOT/Snowfighters training seminar. That is why I know so much about this.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:44 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,765 times
I love learning about new things that are going on around me~ in more detail.
Thanks everyone for your input.
You all have great pros and cons. ~ and now I think I do too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine