Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,552,701 times

Advertisements

Greenhouses are used year round. I have lettuces and spinach in mine right now. I'm planting carrot seeds today (in to get the seed and a drink now) and more beets tomorrow. In a week or so the tomatoes and eggplant seedlings will be planted. The greens around them will act as a living mulch. I'll transplant cucumbers into the same greenhouse in about three weeks. They'll be trained to grow up twine to save space and keep them straight. The spinach will be pulled in about a month because it will be too hot in there. The lettuce will be gone by then. Today's carrots will be pulled in about 75 days and something else will be put in that place. In early October the greens that have been growing in there all summer will be pulled and tossed into the compost pile. The winter greens - lettuces, endive, kale, etc. will be planted. I'll harvest them all winter. And then it starts again this time next year.

The movable greenhouse covers four 50' plots. You can start certain greens in it now. When they're able to tolerate the cool temps the greenhouse moves forward 50' and something else is planted in plot two. When it's ready to move again it goes on to plot three. Then on to four. When four is done it moves back to plot one, two or three to provide frost protection for plants that aren't going to be carried over into winter. The winter crops are planted in an adjacent plot. Just before it's too cold for the winter plants to be outside without protection the greenhouse is moved to cover them.

The chickens and turkeys are not current. They don't have livestock or poultry right now but will again starting this year. That picture was taken on a farm he worked on in Massachusetts a long time ago. He's been farming in his current location since 1968.

It's finally sunny out bt it's very loud in the greenhouse because of the gusting wind. This is one of those days I'd rather be doing something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Video presentation by Eliot Coleman & Barbara Damrosch Part I Part II
I have loved this thread! Thanks for the vidoes Maine Writer I think I may have seen that couple on a PBS show some time in the past. They are inspiring..............

Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 AM

Their enthusiasm is contagious. They used to do a television show on one of the cable channels. I wish I'd known of them then and watched. They're very generous with their knowledge. When I asked him at a workshop how he did something he said, "Come on over." So we do. There are a few pics in my blog from our visit last week.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:07 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,658,032 times
I got the year round gardening book -- the original self-published version -- that I ordered from Johnnys yesterday. LOVE IT!! I have got to, somehow, get K to read it as well, even if it means a read-aloud session each evening, I think.

I love his reference to the Persephone time of the year...

Old 03-28-2009, 11:16 AM

Cheese this time! Breaking the mold (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/102528.html - broken link) in the BDN.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:28 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Cheese this time! Breaking the mold (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/102528.html - broken link) in the BDN.
I love cheese!

Thanks for yet another great post and link Maine Writer.

This year, for the first time, we are going to milk our brood ewes when we wean the lambs. I am hoping to make a wheel or 2 of cheese.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:51 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,390,517 times
who cut the cheese? Great article! I love cheeses.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:28 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,390,517 times
WLBZ2.com | Bangor, ME | Greenhouse In Madison To Hire 75 New Employees

Greenhouse In Madison To Hire 75 New Employees

Quote:
MADISON (NEWS CENTER) -- Backyard Farms, a grower of vine-ripened tomatoes in New England, is looking for workers for its new greenhouse in Madison.

The greenhouse has been under construction since October 2008.

Backyard Farms says the facility will open this summer and expand the company to about 175 employees working on 42 acres of year-round growing space.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,079 times
The home farm,not named as yet, continues to boom. One of my Nigerian Dwarf goats is due today! I'm not going to hold my breath though... I've had several sleepless nights going to repeatedly geting up to go check on her. Currently we are at six goats with one more doe due after Mama. They both have kidded in the past, triplets each time for both of them. Plus we added to our flock of chickens with the addition of 12 new chicks. Six are Auracana, the other six are Buff Orpingtons. Auracanas lay blue and green eggs, making it rather exciting for the kids to gather. TTFN.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,524,069 times
You had me at cheese!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine