Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 PM

277 posts, read 891,921 times

Advertisements

A coworker of mine was telling me about a place in Florida where they have used mobile homes as a base to build houses that are worth upwards of half a million dollars. Apparently he saw something about it on one of those Discovery/Travel channel shows. Anyone know anything about this or other projects that people have done similiar to this that are closer to home? I'm curious to see just what such a building looks like? It's amazing what people can do now-a-days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 01:10 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,693 times
I know about 20 people who have done this. Mainers have been doing this for decades. Haul in a couple of vintage single wides and, in no time you have the double wide of your dreams. Ride the roads around here and bring a camera!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:16 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
In Maine we "have used mobile homes as a base to build houses that are worth upwards" of $25,000. Such an investment will depreciate forever. They should be regarded as basic shelter while you build a real house and then sell it to the next person that needs temporary housing.

This is not a cheap shot at those good folks who live in mobile homes. I have never met anybody whose long term goal is to live in one. Nearly everybody regards them as a stepping stone to something more permanent.

My wife retired from the educational field last year. There used to be something called the "Detroit Test of Learning Aptitude". It is similar to an IQ test. Kids had to associate drawings with each other. One drawing was a tripod. Among the choices were a camera, automobile, dog and boat. Most Maine kids chose the automobile. The educational functionaries in Augusta wondered why so many kids chose that answer. My wife not only explained the reason; she got the correct answer changed on the test. Most Maine kids have never seen a camera on a tripod, but every Maine kid has seen an automobile engine suspended from a tripod over the old Plymouth in the front yard of the trailer down the road.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 03-12-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 PM

277 posts, read 891,921 times
^Yeah I'm not asking because I plan to take on such an adventure, I plan to build a regular house in the future. I just thought that it was weird to build a house around the mobile home. My co-worker was saying that you can't even tell its a mobile home until you go into the basement area and see the axel and wheels attached.

I have seen the people who put single wides together to make a "dream double wide". That or they put the 2 mobiles close to each other and then build a walkway between the two. I lived in a mobile home for a short time as a kid and will do just about anything to keep myself from getting back into one...only because of how fast they seem to fall apart.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,878,911 times
I have a friend whose mother and sf did this probably 30 years ago. You see them all over Maine.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,146 times
There's a place on Rt 1, I want to say around Sullivan-Gouldsboro, where a guy took 2 trailers and put them on the side of a hill. They are "side-by-each-me" and about 15 feet apart with a breezeway between them. The one closest to the road is about 20 feet up and the other is stuck against the side of the hill. They have a block foundation under them. Took him 20-30 years to put that all together. Looks neat as Hades.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
We saw them very popular in Northern California in the 1980s. And I see lots of them in Maine too.

A trailer is hard to heat. But build a pole barn around and over it, and it no longer has to support snow load. And rain leaks stop.

Wall in one side, and you stop the wind blasting on the trailer, making it easier to keep warm.

Wall up all sides and you increase your square footage.

I know that in California, you have to keep the trailer tongue sticking out or else they will change your property taxes. So long as the hitch is still ready to pull it away, it is a vehicle, and taxed as a trailer.

I have seen a few trailers in Maine where the snow crushed them. Putting up a pole barn roof over the trailer would have saved each of those crushed trailers.

Who knows but if you added a little bit each year, after a decades or two you could have a really huge 'mansion'.

We had a dear friend for a while who had added one section onto his home each year. but as they each settled, they settled differently. So walking through his house was weird. I think if a fella was going to do much of this, he should really consider having a foundation.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:09 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I know that in California, you have to keep the trailer tongue sticking out or else they will change your property taxes. So long as the hitch is still ready to pull it away, it is a vehicle, and taxed as a trailer.
Actually you can do that in Maine. Register the mobile home and the assessor can't touch it; only the land. The thing is that it usually costs more to register than it is taxed for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: