Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:57 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,409,359 times

Advertisements

Would appreciate thoughts/Maine perspectives on the article and/or the stimulus package:

washingtonpost.com

Does the stimulus package provide good help to Maine?

I'm not trying to make people upset here.

I would rather read what Maine folks understand to be true and not what a Post reporter imagines. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,247,151 times
i do believe the country needs some good news, amongst the doom and gloom on tv, however, i dont see how we can spend our way out of debt, and pass it on to our kids/grandkids

there's so much pork in the stimulus package its disgusting!!

i cant say im proud of our cocktail party senators, small business is the engine of the economy, not special interests and payoffs,

this stimulus package would be akin to me going out and buying an escalade, when i cant pay for my light bill

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 02-16-2009 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,430,011 times
It probably doesn't provide "good" help to many people on the local level, but it is what it is - our government's attempt to tackle a looming issue. Throwing money at a problem is a typical last-ditch effort.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 AM

48,159 posts, read 22,020,175 times
I was surprised and very pleased with the role that the Senators from Maine played in helping pass the economic rescue package...they got beyond "party building" and cast votes of conscience in behalf of families across America.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:39 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,430,011 times
I agree, elston. I have little to say about Maine's senators, since I don't know them well yet, but I was impressed with the due diligence they gave the matter before putting their hats in the ring. I believe they represented Maine well simply based on what I've read.

"As Maine goes, so goes the nation." Cool!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
IMHO, Spending further into debt at interest seems like a really bad idea.

On other forums which I habitate, I have heard of some of the individual programs stuffed into this bill, I don't see how these programs are going to 'help' anything; anywhere.

Let alone in Maine.

Health care looks like it will be getting major regulation. Once all doctors are online with it, and all medical records have been transfered into the Federal database, and the system is up and running to keep all medical treatments within FDA guidelines, and we have finally imprisoned every doctor who tries alternative treatments. Then perhaps Mainers will see a benefit.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:14 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,698,673 times
"Does the stimulus package provide good help to Maine?"

Not much. They stripped away most of the housing benefits. There was a proposal to give a $15,000 tax credit to any home buyer. That was whittled back to $8,000 and it's for first time home buyers only. First time buyers have a hard time qualifying because banks are reluctant to lend.

The average employee will see a $13 a week reduction in federal taxes.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,880,203 times
The $13 per week tax reduction is just silly. $676 a year isn't going to improve anyones standard of living, at least I can't imagine that it would.

However, there are other things in the package that I do like. Especially that $8000 tax credit for first time home buyers. There are plenty of people who still qualify for mortgages but who have been afraid to take the leap. Since we are going to be listing this place soon, and it's a perfect first time house, we are hopeful that the $8000 incentive will be what it takes to get them to pull the trigger.

I approve of the computerized medical record system. It's what is used out here and it simplifies/streamlines patient care significantly.

The education component should help schools as well. The American public school system has fallen so far behind many other countries, as to be completely unacceptable.

I guess I view this as a way to help the country as a whole, and not just individual States. I just wish the whole mess had been paid attention to sooner so that our country wouldn't have gotten into this situation to start with, necessitating nearly one trillion dollars in additional spending which hopefully, but is not guaranteed, to help.

ETA: I forgot to say, I applaud both Sen. Snowe & Collins for having the backbone to stand up to the "stuck in a rut" GOP and at least try something. Doing nothing clearly isn't working.

Last edited by BacktoNE; 02-16-2009 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,172,954 times
Default Stimulus package

I will admit that I haven't yet had a chance to delve deeply into the stimulus bill yet; however, me being me, I do have something to say about throwing money around.

I think that until we start insisting that cheap imported junk not be the only choice we have to purchase (and yes, perhaps we will have to "suck up" and pay more for it), this perpetual wheel of misfortune is simply going to continue to spin.

Until manufacturing jobs that pay a responsible living wage and provide some sort of reasonable benefit package return to the US, we will simply be paying less for our doodads and much more by way of taxes to support welfare and healthcare. Until people are willing to work together toward the end of decent wages and decent benefits (and stop having near constant P**ing contests about how much someone is worth) the quality of life is going to continue the downward spiral that it's going on now. Now is not the time to fight for ridiculous "perks" or demand to pay a "pittance" of a wage. Both sides must come together respectfully.

I've worked in retail (to supplement Christmas) many times from the 1980's to 2007. I've watched people who worked for retail (major chain) for well over 20 years, have to take a cut in their pay (to begin with a whole $12 a year - for 20 years of service) while the CEO (who ran it into the ground in the first place at headquarters) was forced to "resign" complete with a multimillion dollar severance package and I believe (don't quote me verbatim) another near million in "stock options" (back when they were worth something). This was a few years ago, and now, all but 2 have been let go and replaced with a couple of part timers (at minimum wage). This is the price we pay when we demand paying next to nothing for what is essentially tantamount to junk.

I guess some can see "pork" as "job opportunity" depending on the spin, but I'll reserve comment on that until I know a little better what the heck I'm talking about and I'll do that by beginning research to that end.

As far as Olympia and Susan are concerned - IMHO, they have backbone - and I for one, appreciate that!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,172,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
The $13 per week tax reduction is just silly. $676 a year isn't going to improve anyones standard of living, at least I can't imagine that it would.
I suppose that could be considered a "silly" amount to some people (like Glenn Beck for example ) but considering my oil bill (thanks in great part to my faithful woodstove and many long nights setting the alarm for 2 a.m. to stoke it) for the entire year last year was, $629.00 (and I have a fairly large, drafty old house) it's of great value to me. That means that I didn't have to pick up as many extra hours where I work to pay for fuel, and therefore, I could spend more time with my kids.

Well, okay, I can see where that has the potential to backfire when it's too cold to ship them outside and I need a break from playin' "Momma" ...hmmmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine