Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:29 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,874 times

Advertisements

FYI. it appears as though the "Social Republic of Maine" is looking to raise revenues by enforcing the laws regarding the transportation of liquore across state lines.

I Heard they are actually working undercover. IDK the specifics but there is a limit on how much liquor, beer, wine ect you can transport across state lines.

I do not travell to NH to buy stuff but on occasion while travelling through I have stopped to buy stuff knowing that I couldn't find it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
I never thought about transportation across state lines before! I just assumed there wasn't even a law regarding "how much" etc... geez....

sometimes don't you just think there must be a more effective way their time could be used? After all, we have "dry" towns in Maine!! maybe they should sit on those city limits and be policing those 6 packs--or worse! a CASE---brought in!!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:00 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,462,812 times
I'm pretty sure that this law has been in place for quite a while. I'm not sure of the legal amounts you are allowed to carry over though. I'm thinking it was (2) 1/2 gals of liquor per adult in the car.
I guess it might be worth the savings if you lived in southern Maine to take Gram & Gramp out for a Sunday drive?

Funny that they've just now started enforcing it. I wonder if the same law applies to those traveling south into MA.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:47 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
Re transportation into MA, quite a few years ago--in the 80's, if I recall correctly--I heard rumors about MA state troopers parking in unmarked cars at New Hampshire's big state liquor stores along the interstates, just over the border from MA, looking for people in cars with MA plates making purchases then driving southbound, describing these cars to troopers in marked cruisers waiting across the border. Seems to me I may have read something in the paper about this as well. From what I heard, the practice of using troopers in unmarked cars to observe the purchases ended because it was discouraged, shall we say, by the NH state troopers. As I understood it, in MA it was a use tax issue. They would pull over drivers who had been observed making purchases at the NH state stores in order to report that these people needed to pay the use tax on an out-of-state purchase.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
I'm pretty sure that this law has been in place for quite a while. I'm not sure of the legal amounts you are allowed to carry over though. I'm thinking it was (2) 1/2 gals of liquor per adult in the car.
I guess it might be worth the savings if you lived in southern Maine to take Gram & Gramp out for a Sunday drive?

Funny that they've just now started enforcing it. I wonder if the same law applies to those traveling south into MA.

There's been rumors of this being enforced for quite some time. Mass. has been or is looking to do the same. Howie Carr was commenting on a past governor sending cops to the liquor stores to get license numbers, just last week. This was by an earlier governor

Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
FYI. it appears as though the "Social Republic of Maine" is looking to raise revenues by enforcing the laws regarding the transportation of liquore across state lines.
JMO, but it's about time!

Old 02-12-2009, 03:43 PM

263 posts, read 797,829 times
Wow, I've never heard of that before, having a ban or limit on briging liqour across the border. Is it because NH doesn't have tax? Is it illegal to take it into Vermont too?

Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Re transportation into MA, quite a few years ago--in the 80's, if I recall correctly--I heard rumors about MA state troopers parking in unmarked cars at New Hampshire's big state liquor stores along the interstates, just over the border from MA, looking for people in cars with MA plates making purchases then driving southbound, describing these cars to troopers in marked cruisers waiting across the border. Seems to me I may have read something in the paper about this as well. From what I heard, the practice of using troopers in unmarked cars to observe the purchases ended because it was discouraged, shall we say, by the NH state troopers.
It's a similar situation between KY & OH, taxes are a lot less in KY, especially on cigarettes, I pay $26/carton in KY, $40/carton in Ohio.

I heard smuggling cigarettes by boat from Eastport to NB was a growing cottage industry at one time.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM

160 posts, read 317,603 times
What's the big deal? How much of a difference could a case of beer or a bottle of vodka be between the states? I don't understand?

Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyFatGuy View Post
What's the big deal? How much of a difference could a case of beer or a bottle of vodka be between the states? I don't understand?
The greedy states lose their tax revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine