Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 AM

146 posts, read 453,647 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but it's not as common as you would think in other parts of the country. It seems in our town the the kids don't really play outside, unless it's part of some organized sport. Do kids in Maine go out and just play like kids should play, in small groups, exploring the woods and the tadpoles in the pond and making up their own games? Bike ride? Anyone?

Thanks - just researching for our decision about moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,671 times
We live on a dead end "camp" road with few children. Around the corner from us is a multi-street cul-de-sac. Even in the summer now I see few children playing outside. they either have lots of scheduled activities elsewhere or they are connected to the xbox indoors. Most of them are noticabley heavier than kids of generations past.
Alas, the way of the world

Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,086 times
I live on a cul-de-sac and pretty much every house has kids in it. Some kids are out playing all the time and some aren't. The houses with kids playing outside all the time I notice that the parent's are also outside a lot. Sometimes playing with the kids, sometimes just working around the house.

Another correlation I've noticed. The kids playing outside aren't fat, and their parents aren't either. I'm thinking that sedentary parent lead to sedentary kids. Everyone wants to blame the Xbox and boob-tube, but I'm thinking its the parents that really count.

Just sayin'

Old 02-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Yeah, but who bought the xbox and the boob tube. It's still the parents!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,601 times
Yep, here, the heat keeps kids indoors much of the year. And yes, they're getting heavier by the year, I notice. I have to be very careful what my kids eat to compensate and keep them from developing weight problems. That is really just one in a long list of disadvantages to our children who spend their lives indoors. I'm anxious to get my kids closer to nature and more well rounded.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,872 times
When I was a kid living in Maine we played outside all the time. There were so many ponds and lakes to go ice skating on. Good memories !

Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
When I was a kid living in Maine we played outside all the time. There were so many ponds and lakes to go ice skating on. Good memories !

When I was a kid growing up in the city we had a small town kind of neighborhood. We were kicked out of the house and were not back in until mealtimes or inclement weather. We had street games, ball games, and games we invented ourselves. Sometimes at night, well actually evening, we had hide and seek games that the parents would watch from their porches because we were so entertaining.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 AM

48,118 posts, read 21,997,640 times
I have noticed that there seem to be fewer kids playing outside, than when I was a kid (in the 1950's) and when my sons were kids (1970's). During the summer my kids would get up, have breakfast, do a few chores and Out The Door. They might come home for lunch or might call from another kids house to say their mother invited them to eat there......they played and rode bikes and explored out in the woods...and had pick up games of baseball or soccer....up on the field in back of our house. They came home for supper and then out till the street lights came on. Sometimes they would sit on the screened in porch and play board games.

In the winter they built snow forts, snow ball fights, sledding, etc.

Where I live I dont see many kids out playing.....except my neighbor....a single Dad with 5 kids.....his kids know how to play.....the older one has access to the snow mobile...but the little kids go sliding, build snowmen and other outdoor stuff....and in the summer bikes and catching turtles, fireflies and exploring and running around.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 AM

107 posts, read 507,321 times
There is also a safety-factor at play too. The news is filled with such awful consequences for unattended children: drugs, gangs, abduction, etc. I think much of it is overblown, but its hard to ignore. Many parents prefer to have their kids indoors just so they can keep a closer eye on them.

I know a parent or two whose blood pressure would shoot through the roof if their kid ever thought about climbing a tree. Apparently little Johnny and Susie have skin made of tissue and bones made of glass. I also know a few people whose blood pressure would shoot through the roof if someone else's kid tried to climb one of their trees. Aside from being skiddish, little Johnny and Susie's parents are also litigious.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
When I lived in Washburn last year, there were kids all over town everyday. I used to joke about the "Washburn Biker gang" it was a bunch of the kids in town, and they rode their bikes all over, rain or shine. My kids would play outside from early morning until I drug them in for bedtime. There were always kids around. Even out in the country, it isn't unusual to drive by a house with a basketball hoop set up and kids out shooting baskets all summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine