Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 04:55 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times

Advertisements

"I was thinking of getting vanity plate. Always wanted one, but they are too expensive in Texas. I noticed a lot of people in Maine have them. Are they expensive?"

Last time I registered mine it was $20.

Don't be fooled on insurance. You can drive rented vehicles, borrowed vehicles and new vehicles with paper plates under your existing insurance policy unless you have a very strange policy.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:18 PM

973 posts, read 2,382,314 times
As others have said, the NH 20 day plate is valid in Maine, but you must have proof of insurance. Don't forget that once it is registered in Maine it must then get a Maine inspection. Get the Maine inspection before you put the Maine plates on it. (run on the NH plates until registered and inspected in Maine) You must have the Maine registration to have the inspection done. You will need the bill of sale when you register it because the state will want their fair share of sales tax. You will get a small break when you transfer the registration, but it will only be valid for 8 months if the old registration was done 4 months ago. By the time you've paid all the taxes and fees you will feel robbed.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,190 times
That's what I've heard. We bought the truck new. In Texas they don't go by a bill of sale anymore because people lied about what they paid for used vehicles. So the state starting using a system that gives them a value on the vehicle, and that is the amount you pay taxes on. I noticed that there is a Dept. of Motor Vehicles in Calais, so at least I won't have to drive to Machias to get my trucks registered.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"I was thinking of getting vanity plate. Always wanted one, but they are too expensive in Texas. I noticed a lot of people in Maine have them. Are they expensive?"

Last time I registered mine it was $20.

Don't be fooled on insurance. You can drive rented vehicles, borrowed vehicles and new vehicles with paper plates under your existing insurance policy unless you have a very strange policy.

Didn't they just double the fee forvanity plates. Also this fee is charged every time you register the vehicle, not just the one time.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Could be. They are raising all kinds of fees; fines too.

Maine goes by the "Mulroney sticker" price. If GM's sticker says your new pickup is worth $39,000, you pay an excise tax on $39,000. It makes no difference that the day you bought it that GM and the dealer decided the truck was actually worth $25,000. This sham follows your pickup for years and you pay the tax for years based on a price that was never paid.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM

That happens, here, too. If someone gives you their car, you still pay taxes according to the valuation. I've never understood how such things work. I only know that most of them aren't fair. We put a lot of money into our house. Now that we want to sell it, there are people who would happily pay more than what we're asking. But because there average sale price on a home here is so low, and there is nothing to comp our house to, the appriasal comes in too low. That makes it hard to get a mortgage.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM

411 posts, read 899,024 times
Ok, so my husband is now in NH, and at the car lot looking at the truck. Things seem to be going well, and I will update w/pictures after we have this thing home! Thanks again for your help everyone!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Woo Hoo !

Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 PM

New ride! Yeehaa!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:37 PM

411 posts, read 899,024 times
Well, the trip to NH was a bust. That dealership is going to be receiving a formal written complaint as is their local Chamber of Commerce as well as the Better Business Bureau. It was a horrible experience, and one we wish to NEVER repeat!

My husband returned home last night at 9:00pm (missing his Master Gardener class in the process) and by 6pm today we were driving home a new (to us) truck from Pray's Auto Sales. John at Pray's took VERY good care of us, and we got a wonderful deal! We are now the proud owners of a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500 Heavy Duty 4X4 Extended Cab pickup. Basically our dream truck. It's even in the color I wanted, and an automatic making it easier for me to drive. lol

We highly recommend Pray's Auto Sales to anyone looking for a fair deal on a used car. They have an A rating w/the BBB, and it's all deserved. We are happy...

Thanks for everyone's help, and although things didn't work out in NH, we did end up w/what we needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine