Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,700 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone!I've posted on here previously about moving to Maine but i wanted some opinions about life in northern Maine for someone my age.Possibly the Bangor area with high hopes to get a job working at the Bangor Humane Society.I was in touch with them a couple of months ago and they are not hiring right now but they said i more than qualify and to keep checking back with them.I LOVE animals and have my own little Noahs ark I know northern Maine has a lot of countryside and thats what i want.I don't want my neighbors on top of me.I like privacy.I do want to be close to stores though and not have to drive 50 miles to go shopping.I've read on previous threads that alot of people go to Bangor to do their shopping.Okay im done rambling now.As always,any info is so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 AM

467 posts, read 1,125,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Good morning everyone!I've posted on here previously about moving to Maine but i wanted some opinions about life in northern Maine for someone my age.Possibly the Bangor area with high hopes to get a job working at the Bangor Humane Society.I was in touch with them a couple of months ago and they are not hiring right now but they said i more than qualify and to keep checking back with them.I LOVE animals and have my own little Noahs ark I know northern Maine has a lot of countryside and thats what i want.I don't want my neighbors on top of me.I like privacy.I do want to be close to stores though and not have to drive 50 miles to go shopping.I've read on previous threads that alot of people go to Bangor to do their shopping.Okay im done rambling now.As always,any info is so appreciated!
Here's a link to at least 65 animal shelters here in Maine. You may already know about this, but if not: Maine Animal Shelters - Pet Rescue & Adoption in Maine

Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,700 times
Thank you so much for that!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 PM

24 posts, read 127,096 times
Default Friendly people in Bangor?

We are considering leaving the rat race of NJ and moving to Maine. Having lived in many areas throughout the US, thanks to a military career, I know that some cities/towns are more welcoming to newcomers than others. How do the people of Bangor feel about newcomers? I've researched the taxes in Maine... what a deal compared to NJ!!! Real estate also looks fairly reasonable. Any tips or words of adivce????

Old 01-21-2009, 02:16 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieck View Post
We are considering leaving the rat race of NJ and moving to Maine. Having lived in many areas throughout the US, thanks to a military career, I know that some cities/towns are more welcoming to newcomers than others. How do the people of Bangor feel about newcomers? I've researched the taxes in Maine... what a deal compared to NJ!!! Real estate also looks fairly reasonable. Any tips or words of adivce????
As a military retiree, I enjoy living in Maine.

This is near heaven!

'Welcoming'? I can't really say, I guess. having made so many moves, I guess that I got used to being new on the block. Maine seems to carry a rep for being stand-offish. I can not say that I have seen it though.

There are many great 'deal's here.

enjoy!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 PM

119 posts, read 263,576 times
Bangor is a beautiful area, and there are many really nice places to live.

But it is not NORTHERN Maine.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
You are a twenty two year old person. The United States is primarily an urban culture. I feel strongly that you should go and live in an urban environment for a few years and to learn about living and working with people in a city or urban environment so that you can then decide whether or not living in "mainstream" America is truly for you.

Maine is a small state in terms of population. There are many very small towns spaced about and opportunities are limited due to our small economic base. This is NOT representative of the rest of this country, and before you can make a truly informed decision about where it is best for you to be, you must have experienced the way American really is.

If you truly love working with animals, there is plenty of opportunity to work in shelters, animal hospitals or animal rescue organizations in the major population areas of the country. Go there, work there, be a part of THAT kind of community environment. Grow there and when you have spent some time seeing what all of that is about, then you might want to try something far more rural, or small in comparison.

This is the same advice that I gave to both of my children while they were in college. It was the best advice that I could have given to them. My daughter is working her way back to Maine, and once her children have grown past high school, she may well move back. But what she has found so far is that the advantages to her children are greater where she is than were she to try to move back to Maine.

Your experience may differ, but you need to have that experience. At twenty-two, you don't have the experience yet, to move to such a small economy and opportunity as Maine can offer.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
You are a twenty two year old person. The United States is primarily an urban culture. I feel strongly that you should go and live in an urban environment for a few years and to learn about living and working with people in a city or urban environment so that you can then decide whether or not living in "mainstream" America is truly for you.

Maine is a small state in terms of population. There are many very small towns spaced about and opportunities are limited due to our small economic base. This is NOT representative of the rest of this country, and before you can make a truly informed decision about where it is best for you to be, you must have experienced the way American really is.

If you truly love working with animals, there is plenty of opportunity to work in shelters, animal hospitals or animal rescue organizations in the major population areas of the country. Go there, work there, be a part of THAT kind of community environment. Grow there and when you have spent some time seeing what all of that is about, then you might want to try something far more rural, or small in comparison.

This is the same advice that I gave to both of my children while they were in college. It was the best advice that I could have given to them. My daughter is working her way back to Maine, and once her children have grown past high school, she may well move back. But what she has found so far is that the advantages to her children are greater where she is than were she to try to move back to Maine.

Your experience may differ, but you need to have that experience. At twenty-two, you don't have the experience yet, to move to such a small economy and opportunity as Maine can offer.
I tend to agree with Acadionlion here. My Daughter is living in Vermont and my son plans to work in the Boston area when he finishes college. There is just very little oppurtunity in Maine now. I know more people out of work this winter than working. My wife's best friend found out her husband was losing his construction job this Friday. He said his company has laid off all but two workers and he's been there over 10 years. This is the first time they have EVER laid off anyone.
I know at least six carpenters, two tilers, several painters, a carpet man, an apprentice plumber, and several construction laborers who have lost their jobs this year. Usually layoffs in that industry are temporary. These people are all convinced they won't have work next summer either.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I know more people out of work this winter than working...These people are all convinced they won't have work next summer either.
Yes, this is the sad reality of this economy. Folks argue about whether it will improve by mid-year. I don't think so. I see us deepening into a very harsh recession/depression. If you are young, you will more likely find work in the cities.

For everyone else, though, Maine may present a unique opportunity. Northern Maine (I agree - not Bangor!) is a land that time forgot. I'm learning more and more that northern Mainers are accustomed to hardships and make do for themselves.

However it's no place to be, if you have little life experience.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:09 PM

24 posts, read 127,096 times
Default where's the "best of maine?"

We're looking for a better lifestyle than that of NJ. Where is the best Maine location for skiing, hiking, and snowmobiling but not too far from shopping, restaurants, hospitals, etc.? What are the differences between northern Maine and southern Maine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine