Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
I don't think hubby will be at the Milltown bridge. That's strictly cargo, isn't it? He does passenger. He's filling a vacancy at the port of entry. That's why we're coming to Calais. I found the house on South Street on the auction site. No photos, but the asking price was $23,000!
If you go to google maps, type in the address, and then click street view you can see it.

Right now Casper both bridges do passenger. Usually Miltown is primarily local traffic.... has he seen the Miltown crossing? It's um.... hmmm.... well, it looks like one of those old grocery stores from the 30s you see in movies... except you drive under the porch roof part Very "cute", very tiny, VERY close to the river, especially in the spring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
I went to pick my daughter last night after her
"Explorers meeting." ...

.. so0oo here I am driving down South Street
~ "Dark as dark can be........
.. and I can't find a number at all. lol

So with the description I got from NMLM.. it could be 3 possible houses. lol

Then.......... I thought the number (until I double checked today) was 424. lol
I will keep my "trollin' eye out on what house it may be".

There is a lovly .. I MEAN LOVLY home for sale on South Street. A women owns it that is dealing with health issues. She is a sugar cookie sweetie lady!!!

I believe the home is also registered as a land mark too.
We were invited over one evening for a dinner party and we had a wonderful time.
If that house was mine
( which I call the "Gingerbread house")...
.. I would make it a B&B.

I remember the tour she gave us of her home...and she mentioned important people who visited yearsssssss back and spent the night in the house (before she owned it)
I have a bad memory on details sometimes, but I was to busy awwwwin' the house with eyes and drool. lol

Oh I love my house and my location.. but I'd pop that one right here on the hill.

p.s. I stalked by "Molly's House last night.... I took the side road because I wanted to go back on South street to troll another time before I went home.
I saw your holiday lights and figured you and I might be the only ones light up now. (I'm glad were together on holiday lights) I just love'm!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
"we're US Customs, not Border Patrol Can we bid anyway?"

You betcha. It does need some plumbing repair. I have been in the home. The oil tank needs a new line to the furnace which is hot air. The photos should pop up on the Williams web site any day now.

(US Customs is the second string of the Border Patrol, right?) I think I got that right. Maybe it's the other way around.

This home is definitely not a tear-down. BTW; The deer have been nibbling on the shrubs in the front yard.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
[quote=(US Customs is the second string of the Border Patrol, right?) I think I got that right. Maybe it's the other way around. QUOTE]
NMLM, Don't let the folks at the border hear you saying that! just kidding...It is funny how even the news doesn't understand how Customs and Border Protection is organized. Prior to 9-11 there was the US Customs that was part of Treasury, Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) which included Immigration inspectors at the border and Border Patrol agents...they were part of the Justice Dept. As part of DHS these agencies as well as Agriculture inspectors from USDA were rolled into CBP. There are several offices within CBP, the two you are familiar with is Office of Field Operations (OFO) and Office of Border Patrol (OBP) The Customs inspectors, Immigration inspectors, and Agriculture inspectors are part of OFO. (blue shirts) They man Ports of Entry...land POE's, International Airports and International seaports. The former Border Patrol agents are now in the Office of Border Patrol within CBP. They wear the green shirts. OBP is strictly enforcement, where OFO does enforcement as well as facilitating trade and travel. 99% of the folks OFO encounter are good guys. OBP deals with bad guys and their area of authority is all the border between the ports of entry. Since they are Federal agents their authority is not just along the border but in all parts of the US. (OFO does not have that amount of jurisdiction currently, but that is changing)
Now back to who's second team, neither agency came into the merger willingly, and both do a very important job and it would very much surprise most folks in Maine to see all the drugs, illegals, and people who aren't so nice CBP encounters routinely so I vote that they are all on the first team.

Last edited by kellysmith; 01-12-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
I don't think hubby will be at the Milltown bridge. That's strictly cargo, isn't it? He does passenger. He's filling a vacancy at the port of entry. That's why we're coming to Calais. I found the house on South Street on the auction site. No photos, but the asking price was $23,000!
Molly is correct, it's a a cute little building...that attends to locals mostly. Most of the commerical trucks are passing that way on the Canadian side right now... But coming back is the other way around.. ( I believe)

I recall..~ peach fades back to long ago...
My grandmother use to drive over once a week to Bingo there and after the evening of fun she would head home. Completely distracted from her winnings and fun she would "Blow the Bridge". The Horn would fire up and the lights would go .. she was always so0oo embarassed.
That bridge is just a house a way from my uncles home so probably got distracted with "Wondering if my uncle was home or working in the mill.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"we're US Customs, not Border Patrol Can we bid anyway?"

You betcha. It does need some plumbing repair. I have been in the home. The oil tank needs a new line to the furnace which is hot air. The photos should pop up on the Williams web site any day now.

(US Customs is the second string of the Border Patrol, right?) I think I got that right. Maybe it's the other way around.

This home is definitely not a tear-down. BTW; The deer have been nibbling on the shrubs in the front yard.
SECOND STRING?!?!?!?!?!?! The actual agency is US Customs and Border Protection. Border Patrol likes to think of themselves as an entity unto themselves, but they're not. Customs is regulatory, ICE is investigations, and BP is apprehension. But they all fall under CBP.
I saw pics of the house that someone was nice enough to send me. They house looks nice, but it needs some finishing up inside.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 AM

I drove by yesterday and nowwwww I know
which one it is.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,373 times
[quote=kellysmith;6967196]
Quote:
Originally Posted by (US Customs is the second string of the Border Patrol, right?) I think I got that right. Maybe it's the other way around. QUOTE
NMLM, Don't let the folks at the border hear you saying that! just kidding...It is funny how even the news doesn't understand how Customs and Border Protection is organized. Prior to 9-11 there was the US Customs that was part of Treasury, Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) which included Immigration inspectors at the border and Border Patrol agents...they were part of the Justice Dept. As part of DHS these agencies as well as Agriculture inspectors from USDA were rolled into CBP. There are several offices within CBP, the two you are familiar with is Office of Field Operations (OFO) and Office of Border Patrol (OBP) The Customs inspectors, Immigration inspectors, and Agriculture inspectors are part of OFO. (blue shirts) They man Ports of Entry...land POE's, International Airports and International seaports. The former Border Patrol agents are now in the Office of Border Patrol within CBP. They wear the green shirts. OBP is strictly enforcement, where OFO does enforcement as well as facilitating trade and travel. 99% of the folks OFO encounter are good guys. OBP deals with bad guys and their area of authority is all the border between the ports of entry. Since they are Federal agents their authority is not just along the border but in all parts of the US. (OFO does not have that amount of jurisdiction currently, but that is changing)
Now back to who's second team, neither agency came into the merger willingly, and both do a very important job and it would very much surprise most folks in Maine to see all the drugs, illegals, and people who aren't so nice CBP encounters routinely so I vote that they are all on the first team.
And just how long have you been with DHS? We've been in twelve years.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:28 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
My feeling on the whole thing: the person that can deny me access to a country wins

About the house: I would think it would be nice to have a virtual tour type thing happening.... seems that would increase bidding activity.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
My feeling on the whole thing: the person that can deny me access to a country wins
I try not to argue with anyone holding a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine