Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 03:43 PM

13 posts, read 48,467 times

Advertisements

I had started a thread before about moving to Maine with my fiance in April and we got so many great responses! Thank you!!
So after thinking about it we have decided that it's probably smart to fly out there ahead of time and let my fiance check out Portland and it's restaurant's (he's a chef for those who don't know) and drop off resume's in person.
I thought it would be fun for us to go around the week of Valentine's Day and end our trip at a great restaurant on V-Day.
I've heard a lot about Fore St. and 555 and a few others, but I didn't know if any of the locals would have a better recommendation. We would be visiting Portland so anything there or close by would be good. He's a chef, and I'm a wanna- be chef so you could definitely say we're "foodies."
I'm sure while we're there during the week we'll try and check out different places, but I was hoping to save the best for last for Valentine's Day!
So any suggestions would be great and even any ideas for restaurants we should check out while we're there.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
555 may be an option for work but I wouldn't go out to eat there on valentines day (mediocre- I was there on Saturday. Fresh food, but very bland.. It's a fore street knock off). I know you've heard a lot about Fore St. But it really is the best in Portland. Hugo's is another-- probably the most creative of the Portland scene. Street company and Back Bay grille would be my other suggestions. Vignola and Cafe Roma are romantic, but the food isn't stellar at either. Try Duckfat for lunch, probably the best lunch spot in town though the menu is a lunch twist on basic foods.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:29 PM

Those are pretty much the same ones I had heard of. Good to know about 555! There's a lot of buzz about it since their chef just got named best new chef by food and wine in '07 and it was featured on a recent Food Network episode, but I thought I'd check with you guys first!
Fore St. definitely remains top of the list and has a lot of great reviews, I just wasn't sure if it was all publicity or if it stood up to it's reputation- so it sounds like it does
I've heard mostly good things about Hugo's but some of the reviews commented on the really small portions. Back Bay Grille was another one but for V-day I wanted to know which would be the best out of all of them.
I'm still craving a Haddock dish I had at Buck's restaurant in Brooklyn that was by far the best fish I had ever had! But that's a little far for this trip..
Thanks Irfox!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:51 PM

222 posts, read 529,935 times
Smile A little place way up North

Too bad you can't get up here (north and east near Eastport) a little place called the Nook and Cranny rocks!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
nook n crany or dysarts.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:31 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
lol... I was just thinking the same thing MMT--The Serenade Room would be wonderful! And if they made reservations now they could be sure to get it at least for some of the evening---oh, and then maybe stay at the Greystone? That would be sweet!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms2279 View Post
Those are pretty much the same ones I had heard of. Good to know about 555! There's a lot of buzz about it since their chef just got named best new chef by food and wine in '07 and it was featured on a recent Food Network episode, but I thought I'd check with you guys first!
Those are some pretty impressive credentials for Five Fifty five and lrfox's opinion is in the minority when I take into account everything I've heard about it as well as my experience eating there.

So before you get the wrong idea about Five Fifty Five I will throw my 0.02 in and say its one of the best, if not the best restaurants in Portland. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with EITHER Fore St. or Five Fifty Five.

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms2279 View Post

You're Welcome,

I figured they would be mostly the ones you heard about. It's a small town and while there are many restaurants for a city of its size, there are only a handful of "fine dining" establishments so you've likely seen most if not all mentioned here.

Broadbill
is right, btw, my opinion of Five Fifty-Five seems to be in the minority of those who have reviewed online (though I have seen some that reflect my sentiments) and the accolades that the chef has won are certainly impressive. I sill maintain that it's a bit overstated.

Again the food was made with fresh ingredients, prepared well (though not perfect), and ended up being very bland. Nothing very creative about the menu and the options and the flavors reflect this. The chef did what he did almost perfectly, his creations were just bland. Having dined at most of the restaurants in Portland, this is a problem at most and I think it's more reflective of the tastes of the populus and the tourists and not reflective of the chef or any particular restaurant's shortcomings. I just feel that Portland's culinary scene is a bit... bland. It's a comfort food town which is why larger portions and mild flavor is the norm.

That being said, Hugo's offers a bit more taste and creativity than the rest. It's a BIT different (though not extremely) than the rest of the restaurants around. In fact, I'd say the chef at Hugo's is the most talented of any in Portland and does the best in terms of creativity (btw, I've spoken with a few professional chefs in Boston who echo this feeling). As for the portions, they're not tiny, they're just not huge. An appatizer, an entree, and a dessert will be more than enough to make you roll home from Hugo's. Because this a bit different than the rest of the food scene in Portland and tastes here tend to be a little more conservative, I recommend Fore Street mostly as the food there is also fresh and certainly flavorful enough (though not bold by any stretch). If you go, I would suggest making reservations ASAP, they book up quick for Valentine's Day.

I don't hide the fact that my criticism of food in Portland is a bit more pronounced than most members of this forum and most people in the Portland area, but I try to explain why. I would also suggest checking out all the places mentioned at some point during your stay to make a decision for yourself. After all, you're opinion is the most important one.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:23 PM

I will certainly keep these suggestions in mind! And you never know.. we might just find ourselves in a sweet little "nook and cranny"

Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,561 times
[SIZE=2]These 2 are on my list that I enjoyed....

Eggspectations
- 125 Western Ave, South Portland, ME 04106 Phone: (207)871-7000

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Panera Bread - 343 Gorham Rd, South Portland, ME 04106 Phone: (207) 780-1212 [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine