Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times

Advertisements

Hello JoanEM,

Welcome to the Maine Forum. As some have stated, natural gas and 10 or 15 minutes from the ocean are going to severely limit your location to parts of Portland that have gas. Is bottled propane an option? A "nice large lake" near mountains could be Sebago Lake, which would put you roughly 30 minutes from the Portland hospitals. You mention "price range," but don't say what yours is, nor does anybody know where prices will be 3-4 years out. What are you looking for in numbers of bedrooms, baths, square feet, lot size, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanEM View Post
In a few years I have to move out of my home and would like to move to Maine. I have no idea where I'd like to move to in Maine, so I thought someone might have some ideas to help me narrow down my search. Since it will, hopefully, be my last move I'm being picky. I'd like to move to an area which has natural gas; cable (I'm spoiled); and isn't too far from a good hospital. I love the ocean, and would like to be within 10 or fifteen minutes from the coast, otherwise a nice, large lake would do. I also love the mountains, but I realize I can't have everything! I'd also like to pay cash for my new home so we're talking about an area that isn't out of my price range. Thanks for your help!
first off if it was in a few months id say portland aria close to the coast and naturial gas.but years!! who knows i dont plan that far ahead.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
JoanEM, You have hit the jackpot. Everything you want is in the Brunswick, Maine area and the military is moving out. In the next few years there are going to be some incredible home bargains. That's the whole story.
This is a good thought. But, one must remember that there is a Volvo dealer there...just over the line in Topsham....oh! Sorry: wrong thread....

Old 12-15-2008, 07:33 PM

143 posts, read 252,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Works for me Val!!! I'd even love to host the get together here if you'd like. We can chat about it after the holidays. There's a few more Cape Codders on here too, but they seldom post. Maybe we could do a holiday get together of some sort. .... after it's gone by.... lol it's okay by me... here, there, or anywhere!! I'm always up for a social event.
If any of you other Cape Codders read this, let us know if you'd like to join us and then we'll plan a date; otherwise, it's you n' me, Gale! My place is always an option, too...unless someone buys it!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:04 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palval1 View Post
If any of you other Cape Codders read this, let us know if you'd like to join us and then we'll plan a date; otherwise, it's you n' me, Gale! My place is always an option, too...unless someone buys it!!!!!!
Please use the Off Topic thread or Direct Message for these kinds of posts.

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 25,211 times
I moved to Maine from New Jersey, seven months ago. When I was told this was the worse winter in years, I didn't have a problem with it at all. When I came to Maine in August to look for a place to rent, while I looked for a house to buy, my car was totaled on Rt. 1 in Searsport. I rented a car to go back to New Jersey and since I had to buy a car, I bought a four wheel drive, which is probably why I didn't have a problem with the snow.

I rented a furnished house for 8 months, while I looked for my permanent home. I started looking in the Belfast to Bangor area and finally settled on a cape in Winterport. I wanted natural gas, but because there wasn't any in the area, I had propane installed, so I could cook on a gas stove. Never did learn how to cook on an electric one.

Traveling to a supermarket, doctor, dog groomer, department stores, etc., is the same as in New Jersey. The only thing my former town had was a Chinese restaurant, Japanese restaurant and Thai restaurant, all of which I really miss. There was also four pizza places, which I didn't go to, because there was a better pizza restaurant in another town. So, I am used to driving to get what I want and/or need.

My move to Maine was motivated by the size of the population. New Jersey has over 8 million people in 8700 square miles, while Maine has 1.3 million people in 35,385 squad miles. Now that's a population density I can live with!

The one thing that surprised me most of all, is the friendliness of the people. Everyone says "hello" and smiles, not at all like New Jersey. And to think, I thought I would never leave New Jersey, but I am so glad I did.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvjmj View Post
I moved to Maine from New Jersey, seven months ago. When I was told this was the worse winter in years, I didn't have a problem with it at all. When I came to Maine in August to look for a place to rent, while I looked for a house to buy, my car was totaled on Rt. 1 in Searsport. I rented a car to go back to New Jersey and since I had to buy a car, I bought a four wheel drive, which is probably why I didn't have a problem with the snow.

I rented a furnished house for 8 months, while I looked for my permanent home. I started looking in the Belfast to Bangor area and finally settled on a cape in Winterport. I wanted natural gas, but because there wasn't any in the area, I had propane installed, so I could cook on a gas stove. Never did learn how to cook on an electric one.

Traveling to a supermarket, doctor, dog groomer, department stores, etc., is the same as in New Jersey. The only thing my former town had was a Chinese restaurant, Japanese restaurant and Thai restaurant, all of which I really miss. There was also four pizza places, which I didn't go to, because there was a better pizza restaurant in another town. So, I am used to driving to get what I want and/or need.

My move to Maine was motivated by the size of the population. New Jersey has over 8 million people in 8700 square miles, while Maine has 1.3 million people in 35,385 squad miles. Now that's a population density I can live with!

The one thing that surprised me most of all, is the friendliness of the people. Everyone says "hello" and smiles, not at all like New Jersey. And to think, I thought I would never leave New Jersey, but I am so glad I did.
congrats to you!! thanks for sharing a great story

glad you like it here and find the maine locals friendly,,

Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvjmj View Post
I moved to Maine from New Jersey, seven months ago.

... The one thing that surprised me most of all, is the friendliness of the people. Everyone says "hello" and smiles, not at all like New Jersey. And to think, I thought I would never leave New Jersey, but I am so glad I did.
Welcome to Maine.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:17 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Are you ever going to get back to us?????

Old 03-23-2014, 06:41 PM

11 posts, read 25,211 times
I couldn't have found a better place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine