Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
That's funny... I was just telling DW we needed another boat and she said the same thing....get a job!
I hate it when our spouses rain on our parades!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,452,647 times
Quote:
That's funny... I was just telling DW we needed another boat and she said the same thing....get a job!
Go GREEN and get a sail boat!!!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Go GREEN and get a sail boat!!!!!

*cough- cough! spit! spit! *hack* hack* Ewwwwwwww!!!!!

Snail boat, I don't think so!

Need for speed, baby!

No can do.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
*cough- cough! spit! spit! *hack* hack* Ewwwwwwww!!!!!

Snail boat, I don't think so!

Need for speed, baby!

No can do.
I'm with you Mermaid! Snail boats make me nauseous....literally! I used to go sailing once in a while but TALK ABOUT BORING!! Bring a barf bag and a book!
A days sail with my friend on his J-24 was to leave Yarmouth sail to Portland back around Chebeague and back to Prince's Point. That would take literally ALL DAY. You can do the same route in a dinghy and a 5 hp motor in about three or four hours or about an hour in a boat with 75 hp or more! Ever try to fish from a snail boat?? Can't be done! You can't stop a snail boat fast enough if you hook a good fish so they always break the line. Nope no snail boats for this Maineah either!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I'm with you Mermaid! Snail boats make me nauseous....literally! I used to go sailing once in a while but TALK ABOUT BORING!! Bring a barf bag and a book!
A days sail with my friend on his J-24 was to leave Yarmouth sail to Portland back around Chebeague and back to Prince's Point. That would take literally ALL DAY. You can do the same route in a dinghy and a 5 hp motor in about three or four hours or about an hour in a boat with 75 hp or more! Ever try to fish from a snail boat?? Can't be done! You can't stop a snail boat fast enough if you hook a good fish so they always break the line. Nope no snail boats for this Maineah either!
Seriously, cut off one of my limbs and poison me. I'd be happier.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:09 PM

13 posts, read 48,471 times
I love reading everyone's responses! It has all been tremendously helpful and insightful thank you!!
We definitely agree that coming out right now would be our best bet, but I'm still currently working and we have things that hold us here until mid February at least. My sister is due to have her 1st baby Feb 18th! Can't miss that. Although we don't have to wait to drive out there.. we're now talking about flying out for at least a week or so just to look at the area and drop off resumes in person to the restaurants. If needed Josh, my fiance, could stay longer or move out ahead of me if he had to.
The "road trip" part is only because we would have to get our car out there either way so we just thought we would take a little longer and see the states of interest on the way. But realistically we could do the drive in the shortest amount of time possible just to get there. And the month of April just seemed feasable with our other personal things going on.
So I think we'll just fly up in January for a bit and then still plan on driving the car out soon after that.
Irfox I really appreciate all the info you gave And I'd say your Star system was pretty accurate. We are definitely foodies ourselves but I wouldn't say we're snobby foodies- as there plenty of those types out there! We appreciate fine dining but it's really about the quality of the food.
My fiance is so concerned about working for the best restaurant in Maine, although of course that would be great! But he just wants to find a place where he'll feel proud of what he's putting out and creating. He's excited to be somewhere where there's so much fresh ingredients and seasonal foods as well.
So we were wondering.. there seems to be a lot of apartments available right now on Craigslist. Lets say we're not ready to get an apartment until March or April. Will it be harder to find an apartment then when there are more people visiting or staying in Maine for the season?
We keep seeing apartments that we would love to just move in right now! But we know that's not going to happen that soon.
Any advise??

Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,567 times
Been looking at Maine, reading the forum, and just wondering if there is an update from the OP re: all the wonderful information received from the members.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM

300 posts, read 758,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think most people who have read my posts may toss me into the "crome diner" crowd as I tend to be very critical of the restaurants I eat at (not just in Maine) and going out to eat is a hobby of mine (self-proclaimed "foodie"). Even if I'm broke I'll probably spend a huge portion of my check on dining out (sad, but true).

I'd like to expand on (and to a small extent, disagree with) what Maineah mentioned in his post.

First, let me reiterate, do NOT fear about having to work in a Dunkin Donuts to get by (not that D&D is wrong for everyone!). Portland has a LOT of restaurants for a city of 63,000 souls. Many here claim that it has the "most restaurants per capita" in the nation. While that statement is false (Many other cities claim this as well and the obscure data that DOES exist is only for cities of more than 250,000 people), there are certainly grounds for people making that claim. Your fiance should be able to find a job at one of these establishments and it will be better than fast food or chain food.

As far as "fine-dining" goes, it's CLEARLY a subjective matter. I would argue that while Portland has MANY restaurants, there are few that are of vastly superior quality. In fact, if we're going to go on a "5-star" system, I would say that Portland's top-quality restaurants are 4 stars and you can count those on one hand (perhaps 2 fingers).

Let me give you my basis so you can be the judge on how valuable/valid my opinion is. Even if you disagree, you can at least make an assertation for yourself....

.5 Stars would be your basic fast food chains (Mcdonald's, Wendy's, BK, Taco Bell, etc)
.5-1.5 Stars would be your real low end chains and take out/pizza joints (i.e. IHOP, Friendly's, your neighborhood Chinese place, Dominos Pizza, etc)
1.5-2.5 Stars would include the mid-level chains such as Olive Garden, Friday's, Applebees (at the lower end), etc. as well as mediocre nighborhood pub food (Great Lost Bear, anyone?), etc.
2.5-3.5 Stars would include the upper echelon of those mid-scale chains (Macaroni Grille, P.F. Chang's MAYBE Long Horn at a 2.5, etc). established neighborhood restaurants (this is where I'd put places like Dogfish Cafe in Portland or Joe's Boathouse).
3.5-4.5 Stars would be your upper tier chains (Think Ruth-Chris Steakhouse), real causual but reliable cuisine, etc. This is where Hugo's (a 3.5 to me) and Fore Street (a solid 4.0) as well as some of the other Maine bests would land in my book.
5-Stars is reserved for the truly elite. These restaurants blow your mind. Last weekend I had a Kobe Beef Steak at a restaurant called "Oishii" in Boston and it was phenominal. Italian at Al Forno or Capriccio in Providence fits in here... they're just a tier above anything you'll find in Maine. I can't put anything in Maine up here because even the best up here can't compete with the elite of the bigger cities in the country, they just can't.

Now, Maineah, I am in no way trying to call you out (Though you MUST try Blue Sky in York Beach before you call Fore St. the "best North of Boston" ... it's a close call). I agree that Maine has options, particularly in Portland. I don't think the OP's fiance is going to have trouble finding work in Portland as a sous chef and CERTAINLY won't be working at D&D (not that there is anything wrong with that, btw). He will be able to find work at a reputable establishment. In fact, after I finish this, I'm sending OP a DM with info on a good restaurant I know is overhauling their kitchen staff for next season and will be looking to replace the head and some of the sous chefs.

Now, if nothing else, we can take from this post that I have WAYYY too much time on my hands. I'm hoping though, that even if the OP disagrees with my personal star system, she can gain an idea of what type of establishments exist in Maine.

>End Rant<
LOL, I loved that post. It is so nice to read something that people have a passion about!

Make sure you enlighten me in October when I have to take the wife out in Portland for her birthday dinner!

Old 03-06-2009, 03:32 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
*cough- cough! Spit! Spit! *hack* hack* ewwwwwwww!!!!!

snail boat, i don't think so!

Need for speed, baby!

No can do.
Hee hee! Agree!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 AM

34 posts, read 111,613 times
I am Sandra, I too, will be leaving for either Maine, Conn. or New Hampshire on April 1st, 2009.
I am moving back to New England, trying to find housing still, for the landing. I am single, 54, a young 54...lots of energy, very very active....however will be traveling cross country,leaving Irvine, Calif. heading to
Arizona to get on the 40, then when we get to knoxville ,Tenn will head North up into Pa to stop to spend one night with my neice. We will be traveling with my 2 beloved persian cats, I went & picked the medication last Frid.My son & daughter are helping
driving me out with moving truck and car. Not towing. My parents moved from Massachusetts when I was 13 to Calif. This is my dream to come back.
I am as excited as you are in Santa Barbara. Thanks for asking the informative questions. I hope you have a very safe trip. I am looking for a place to start from. I would like to budget spending no more than
800.00 for room, bath, and utilities. Is this feasible?
sincerely sandra (deerstar1)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine