Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 AM

473 posts, read 2,756,097 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just putting feelers out, since I don't see a move to Maine happening, unless my wife and I find something that pays us to do it from home, and pays us well. But, that doesn't mean a fella can't daydream, and plan a little bit ahead of time.

Anyway, my wife and 2 kids and I moved to the Finger Lakes region of NY and we absolutely love it here. But ME has always had a special place in my heart, and if we could find a way to sustain ourselves, like I said, I wouldnt think twice of moving there.

I don't know the state too well so I was wondering if people could help suggest places based on some criteria. We HATE living IN cities. We love being on at least an acre or two of land all to ourselves...BUT having a family it IS important to us to be somewhat CLOSE to a city for shopping, healthcare, activities etc. My family loves the outdoors in all seasons. I love to snowboard, snowshoe, hunt, fish, camp, hike, etc. I can do all these things within a 10 min walk or ride from my place now, and I'd like somewhere that's kind of like that as well, with open access to all those activities.

We need somewhere very community and family centric. We live in a town of 5,000+ right now and love it because everyone knows everyone, and everyone HELPS everyone w/out any concern for anything in return. I know my daughter's teachers, we keep in close contact, etc. I can borrow some money from the town store, and pay it back later, basically small town love and trust. Also, obviously I want a good public school for my child as well. And also a town that is racially open. We are a mixed family....myself being Filipino and my wife being Irish, and of course our kids are mixed.

Any help you could give would be awesome. We plan to visit in the summer, and drive around the state, so having some actual towns on our list to visit would be nice, so that we already have places in mind if/when we ever do decide to move to your beautiful state.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: also i forgot to mention, we don't have tons of money, so places that are reasonably priced in rent/purchase price would be appreciated as well. Last time I looked at communities near cities, the prices seemed kind of high. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Welcome to Lincoln, Maine!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,788,368 times
Here's my 2 cents worth. Once I moved back to my home town which was 12 years ago from Rhode Island, it took 10 years for me to go south of Portland. I'd never been to Old Orchard until last year. So anyways... start making weekend trips and scout out the state. Sounds like you will rule out the cities and just head north or east. You will fall in love with many areas. Each town is unique to the other. I love traveling the back roads. With that said.. you have your assignment. Report back in 2 years and tell us your zip code.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:17 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,788,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Why didn't I think of that....???

Orrington, Maine -- Welcome to our web site ! ! !

and then there was the time driving through Lincoln 28 years ago to visit my brother in Danforth. It was the first time my wife (gf back then) had driven up that way. At the light in town waiting to take a left she look over and accused me of the sulfur odor that permeated within the confines of our little Honda Accord. Love that area up there...

Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 AM

653 posts, read 1,919,636 times
I think Finger Lakes region of NY is lovely area and once looking to buy property there, but taxes and cost of living there are high base on my quick look not indepth search. If you can make in there it should be easier for you in Maine.

Why Maine?.

Quote:
=CBaillo;6514172]
Anyway, my wife and 2 kids and I moved to the Finger Lakes region of NY and we absolutely love it here. But ME has always had a special place in my heart, and if we could find a way to sustain ourselves, like I said, I wouldnt think twice of moving there.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 AM

264 posts, read 759,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

Me and my husband recently bought property right outside of Lincoln. We absolutely love the area. Lincoln is such a great small town with pretty much everything you need right there in town for normal shopping and yet still close enough to drive into Bangor (the city) for bigger shopping trips of special stores you need to go to. There is a small family run ski mountain right next door and larger mountains that could be day trips for skiing, snowboarding etc.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:56 AM

why maine?

like i said i LOVE the outdoors. I'm in it all times of the year, and all seasons. And on the east coast ME is the mecca for just gorgeous outdoors, as well as a ton of outdoor activities to enjoy year round. On the west coast it would be Alaska. And everything I've ever seen and hear of ME were things I always wanted. We love a more slowed down life where we can actually enjoy our family instead of suddenly waking up and our kids are out of the house, and to live in an area where the majority of things to are free or cheap.

ME people seem to be a lot more open and friendly as well. But like i said, the same can be said for the most part in the Finger Lakes, and if there is where life keeps me for the rest of my days, I can't complain..but I've always wanted to end up in ME, if I had a choice.

The drawbacks here, though are the high taxes, and the cost of living isn't as cheap as it seems when moving here at first.

we make it here just fine, but from what i understood, the main thing missing in maine were jobs...so how would we be fine in ME..has the job market gotten better?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:36 AM

653 posts, read 1,919,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
why maine?

Quote:
like i said i LOVE the outdoors. I'm in it all times of the year, and all seasons. And on the east coast ME is the mecca for just gorgeous outdoors, as well as a ton of outdoor activities to enjoy year round. On the west coast it would be Alaska.
then you are half way to Maine.

we make it here just fine, but from what i understood, the main thing missing in maine were jobs...so how would we be fine in ME..has the job market gotten better?
i know nothing about job market, will let people who better qualify answer that.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:11 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,935,658 times
A lot of people will wax poetic about the wonders of moving to Maine. Indeed, you as a young couple are just what Maine needs more of. But before you even THINK that Maine might be the place for you, you should do a lot of reading. Start with Wikipedia since you are on line. Here are some numbers for you to think about:

According to Wikipedia the median family income in your city was $43,000 at the census of 2000.

The median income for a family of four in the entire state of Maine was around $26,000.

There are many towns in Maine that have the same general population makeup of Newfield, New York. In fact, most of Maine's cities are between five and 8,000 people. The largest city in Maine is Portland, with a population of around 65,000.

There is a direct relationship between population and economic opportunity. You mention "jobs". What sort of "jobs" are you considering? There is no industry in Maine for the most part. The paper mills are dying rapidly, the forest products industry is not healthy, the fishing industry is struggling, and there is NO heavy industrial activity that is threatening to come to Maine. So bascially, small business is what there is, and most of that is struggling in these hard times. If you have a particular skill set that is in demand or you have a profession that can be established in a large state with a small and scattered population, you might settle in in Maine well.

But the truth is that where you are situated in New York, you are between mega population areas and have the luxury of chosing between many different major medical, educational, economic and cultural centers. In Maine you would find only one of each, perhaps, and they will be several hours apart.

And if you think it is cheaper living in Maine than where you are now, I would suggest that you come and visit and make long lists of all sorts of expenses from taxes to gasoline and the price of a pair of mittens. If you find Maine to be less expensive than where you are now, I will bet that the it won't be enough less to pay for the cost of making the move for several years.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:17 AM

honest breakdowns like yours are what i depend on..thanks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine