Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:06 PM

489 posts, read 1,213,370 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to give a "thumbs up" to the fellow on this forum who, awhile back, gave a great tip as to how he starts his wood stove. It has sure made my life easier. He stated he puts sawdust into egg cartons and adds wax to it. I started doing it this way but soon ran out of sawdust and egg cartons. So using the same principle/theory/method, I purchased a bale (5.5 cu.ft. - cost $5.49) of animal bedding, which is actually small wood shavings. For cartons I use food containers; cereal boxes, noodle boxes, cookie boxes, any cardboard container that'll hold 4/5 handfuls of shavings. For storing them I just put a couple staples in end so shavings don't fall out. What works also is the brown grocery bag. Just put a few handfuls of shavings in bag and fold it and flatten it out. This method eliminates the need for kindling wood. So would the fella who initially came up with this great, simple, idea stand up and be recognized...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 05:34 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,522,726 times
Let it be known that I am not that fellah....

But I think starting a fire is a huge misnomer. No one has ever started a fire. A fire is built,whether it is as you say,with shavings and egg cartons or from kindling wood and birch bark.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:38 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,703,334 times
You have to start it to build it! Three sticks of fat wood and a match is all that is needed! You can buy fat wood all over. Sometmes called starter sticks. LL Bean sells it by the box. A 20 pound box will last most of the winter. It really is the best stuff I have ever used to start a fire.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:39 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,530,858 times
Paper, cardboard, saw dust, wood chips, WVO, and wood.

Then alternating layers of peat and wood. And when your ready for an all-nighter shift to layers of peat and coal.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:44 AM

Even easier than the fatwood is dry kindling and an instant start propane torch. Works every time!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:56 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,101,432 times
I have some fatwood on-hand that I bought, but I also have plenty of evergreen trees that drop dead branches, and one type (Eastern Larch?) that seems to gro "nests" of very small twigs. Collect up a bunch of that, add some birch bark and it starts even faster than the fatwood. Only one match from dead out, if there are any coals at all left, even a match usually isn't needed.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:15 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,790,996 times
Default Starting then building a fire

That recipe sounds like more work than a Thanksgiving meal. You should have (although you still have time before the snow) gathered up pine cones. Two or three pine cones and a few little cedar sticks and you have flames in no time. As you probably know this was a great year for pine cones. I gathered up a trash can full in about 15 minutes before the rainy season arrived. Nice and dry and should last me until Spring easily. I've got an outdoor boiler and usually have a few coals also to work from.

Lesson over. Merit badges will be sent in 6 to 10 days.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:22 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,522,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I have some fatwood on-hand that I bought, but I also have plenty of evergreen trees that drop dead branches, and one type (Eastern Larch?) that seems to gro "nests" of very small twigs. Collect up a bunch of that, add some birch bark and it starts even faster than the fatwood. Only one match from dead out, if there are any coals at all left, even a match usually isn't needed.
You mean the softwood trees that lose their needles in winter? That is Larch, hackmatack or Juniper...whatever you want to call it as its known by all three things. I got a few.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:48 AM

722 posts, read 1,514,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
(Eastern Larch?) .
Eastern larch? Is that close to western larch, sounds like it. Its called yellow pine or tamarack over here and is a great btu firewood. It loses it's needles in the winter too.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Eastern larch? Is that close to western larch, sounds like it. Its called yellow pine or tamarack over here and is a great btu firewood. It loses it's needles in the winter too.
Yup same thing....we call them hackmatacks as BrokenTap stated. There are zillions of them in Aroostook county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine