Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 08:00 AM

722 posts, read 1,514,414 times

Advertisements

I am Looking to move from Eastern Washington to mid coast Maine and split my time lobstering and selling firewood. I love the mid coast and would love to hear some advice, i know lobster prices are rock bottom right now but they will come back up. I want to do this to get a new outlook on life. Yes I have run boats on the water, on the Pacific and on the gulf. I hear lobstering can be hard for newcomers, and am thinking of being a sternman for a year or two first, if I can find a willing captain. Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,703,334 times
You have no choice but to become a sternman for a couple of years. Licences are hard to get and you have to apprentice on another boat before you can attain one. Most licences now become available by attrition when someone decides to get out of the business. I'm not saying it can't be done though you would really have to want it bad to spend the time on another boat. Firewood on the otherhand is in high demand. If you can put together a processing lot and 2 cord truck you might start by buying tree length logs ,cutting and seasoning the wood and selling it for nearly twice your original cost. Lots of people are doing this now. It's a good way to start though you'll need the first season covered money wise to get you started. Good luck with your plan!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:48 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,908,541 times
You have to apprentice for at least 2 years, document 1000 hours and 200 days fishing and complete the USCG training course. When logging your hours, you have to have the marine patrol officer sign it every 250 hours.

After you do get your license, you are limited to having a gang of 300 traps the first year, and only allowed to increase by 100 traps every year.

It'll take a lot of hard work, but people do it. (My father has been lobstering for 60 years.) Good Luck!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:06 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,372,558 times
Ugh probably the two hardest jobs in Maine. It can be done and you have been giving some excellent advice. Hopefully you also have a good strong back. My cousin is a fisherman. My husband has a friend who is in the firewood business.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:39 AM

722 posts, read 1,514,414 times
I love Maine, no judging, just a can do attitude and an offer of advice and well wishes. Can't wait to get back there and maybe run into some of you. Thank you

Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,703,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
I love Maine, no judging, just a can do attitude and an offer of advice and well wishes. Can't wait to get back there and maybe run into some of you. Thank you
Well you certainly have the right attitude! You'll do fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine