Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:24 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times

Advertisements

Is the wreath online? I bet I'd like it. I'm going to leave a note on your board about bread in just a sec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
If the wreaths you made this weekend weren't made of pine, what did you use? I'm going to have to brush up on my tree species!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 AM

Balsam. These are tips. They're poor quality, but they're closer than the good ones in the seedling house. The end of the stem is snapped off just above the V (node).

Notice how shiny the sprills are? They form a waxy coating that prevents transpiration (water evaporation) so they stay hydrated. If they didn't form this coating the sprills would dehydrate and die. The coating forms after a few nights of below freezing weather. Once that happens it's safe to tip. Wreaths made of tips harvested too early don't look good on Christmas day.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:26 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
That's the green trees I LOVE! Our pine is long leaf or "loblolly" pine, and it's ugly and lacks any real shape or definition. The Christmas tree farms here grow Scotch pine, which also has longer needles. We have to buy the fir varieties pre-cut from a tree lot. They haul in Noble Fir and Douglas Fir by the truckloads! We pay a lot of money to buy Christmas trees of that variety here.

I always thought the balsam was a variety of pine.
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas Wreaths-pine-trees.jpg   Christmas Wreaths-phshpine.jpg  

Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 AM

White pine aren't particularly beautiful most of the time. They're usually crowded and odd shaped. They look sparse in the winter when they've shed their old needles. A tree that grows with enough space is pretty though.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:07 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I want to make a pine wreath. I saw in Home and Garden they made a "pine kissing ball". I've always loved the look of the pine ( not as a tree in the house) but added to create.

As soon as it stops snowing again today..... grrr

I have to drive over to the drs in Eastport today. I'm wondering if I should cancel. It's warm out and I heard it was going to be just rain.
Peachie, go to weather.com and type in your zip code. It will show you the forecast for the today, tonight and tomorrow and you can scroll down and get an extended 10 day forecast as well. On that same page there is also an interactive weather map... what that means is, it shows you in real time the weather that's coming at you, is there now, etc. It's called 'Weather in Motion'.

I used it alot this past summer when I was in Searsport to track the thunderstorms. I don't get all that excited about being stuck in an aluminum tube under the trees when there's bad thunderstorms about. rofl

We're getting 1-2" of rain here on the Cape today and wind about 35-45 mph. I'm glad I'm not shoveling it!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Peachie, go to weather.com and type in your zip code. It will show you the forecast for the today, tonight and tomorrow and you can scroll down and get an extended 10 day forecast as well. On that same page there is also an interactive weather map... what that means is, it shows you in real time the weather that's coming at you, is there now, etc. It's called 'Weather in Motion'.

I used it alot this past summer when I was in Searsport to track the thunderstorms. I don't get all that excited about being stuck in an aluminum tube under the trees when there's bad thunderstorms about. rofl

We're getting 1-2" of rain here on the Cape today and wind about 35-45 mph. I'm glad I'm not shoveling it!
Thanks... my only obstacle is the slowwwwww internet.
By the time those pages and the ones here load, the weather has changed or my computer connection crashes. It's a tough world for the ole' peachie.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Thanks... my only obstacle is the slowwwwww internet.
By the time those pages and the ones here load, the weather has changed or my computer connection crashes. It's a tough world for the ole' peachie.
Oh. Sowwy. I didn't know you guys were all on dial up out there. That sucks the big one.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:18 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Oh. Sowwy. I didn't know you guys were all on dial up out there. That sucks the big one.
not everyone is on dialup... there are pockets of wifi with varying reliability. But yeah, lots of the outlying areas are still only to dial-up connectivity. That is why we ended up closer to Bangor, though it is not what we wanted.

I make most of my living doing design work that requires reliable high speed connectivity and had to pass on a number of otherwise wonderful properties...

Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 AM

Axiom is going to spread through this part of rural Maine by the end of 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine