Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 8,284 times

Advertisements

Fastinating method of communication. I am considering moving to Machias, ME and I'm just looking for information about the local area. What are gas prices? How many groceries stores are available? Medical care, etc... I have lived in very remote areas before i.e. AK villages, and am looking for a small town connected by road to "civilization" rather than by plane. I am currently quite miserable living in AL. I love cold winters and the forests/ocean so I believe that I would enjoy the Machias area. So, tell me about Washington County, please. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 02:06 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
There is a hospital right in Machais. The gas prices are quite good just 20 minutes to the west along route 1. (Columbia) There is a good sized grocery store in town, a university and the scenery is quite nice down Starboard way.

It's still quite a ways from civilization by road though.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:13 PM

222 posts, read 529,935 times
Default Nice town

Machias is a nice town, with most amenities, and with many lovely "New England" picture spots. But, if you are looking to grab a Starbucks in the morning, hit the mall, or be able to get anything 24 hours a day this is NOT your place. It is still small town America-compared to everywhere I lived before Maine. But compared to where I now live (45 miles north-east of Machias)----Machias is big! Visit the area before making any decisions. I personally LOVE Washington County and am proud to call this corner of Maine my home.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Alyeska, I saw your other post mentioning your job interview! Best of luck to you When you get here try to visit some of the local areas.... Machias is wonderful, but you may find that one of the little surrounding towns is more what you're looking for. See if you can visit Jasper's Beach, Roque Bluffs, Bold Coast, or maybe even Great Wass Island. There are many lakes in the area too. If you head into the woods, have some blaze orange on, as it's hunting season

Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
Machias is a nice town, with most amenities, and with many lovely "New England" picture spots. But, if you are looking to grab a Starbucks in the morning, hit the mall, or be able to get anything 24 hours a day this is NOT your place. It is still small town America-compared to everywhere I lived before Maine. But compared to where I now live (45 miles north-east of Machias)----Machias is big! Visit the area before making any decisions. I personally LOVE Washington County and am proud to call this corner of Maine my home.
Machias has been ruined. The old Esso station is gone, the Western Auto is gone, the A&P is gone, they put one of those nasty McDonald's in, you can bet booze now, and some places even stat open after 5PM...it's ruined I tell ya, just ruined.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:50 PM

163 posts, read 295,448 times
Knew all of those landmarks well, Zymer. Especially Charlie Berry's Esso. We'd hang out there as mischievous young teenagers, but he was wise enough to keep us occupied and out of trouble. Long before the term "mentor" was popular.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Default Machias

is right on the coast. As such, it was "discovered" over the last 10 or 20 years by people from New York, Boston, etc. So the real estate prices have skyrocketed for any place even near the water. There are lot of summer people with MONEY, but after summer/early fall, there isn't much there. It's a pretty poor area. And it's a LONG way to Ellsworth (6,000 people)---even further to Bangor (30,000).
Just so you know!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Default Hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
There is a hospital right in Machais. The gas prices are quite good just 20 minutes to the west along route 1. (Columbia) There is a good sized grocery store in town, a university and the scenery is quite nice down Starboard way.

It's still quite a ways from civilization by road though.
Be aware that the hospital is embroiled in controversy regarding terrible patient care as well as small town politics........not a good situation at the moment. Has been the focus of much media attention statewide.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
There are lot of summer people with MONEY, but after summer/early fall, there isn't much there. It's a pretty poor area. And it's a LONG way to Ellsworth (6,000 people)---even further to Bangor (30,000).
Just so you know!
What do you think it's lacking without the summer people?

Old 10-14-2008, 11:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
traffic....

I like the "it's a pretty poor area" comment myself.... oh, oh, LONG way to Ellsworth!! lol, most Mainers don't bat an eye at an hour's drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine