Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 23,191 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Maine in April. I have been a teacher for most of my career, but now I just write and will not need to look for a job, at least in the coming year! I will be exploring and writing about several areas of New England, and it would make more sense geographically for me to move to southern Vermont, New Hampshire or Massachusetts. However, I am drawn to the Maine coast after several visits.

I've been looking at apartments online, from Cape Elizabeth as far up as Wiscassett. There seem to be several in my price range (from 600 to 800). I know locals complain about summer congestion with visitors in these areas, but I think, coming most recently from Los Angeles, I can handle it!

I'd love to here your recommendations or dismissals as I go on with my search. I'm hoping to relocate permenantly after in 2008, so I'm looking for my own home and community as a part of this whole adventure and process. I hear a lot about the reserved quality of Maine locals, but that has not been my experience when visiting. Maybe this is because I'm kind of a loner myself.

Anyway, your thoughts would be so helpful -- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 09:00 PM

59 posts, read 265,858 times
The towns you mention are beautiful, but as you say congested. Have you considered a smaller town still on the coast. It is much more relaxed and the small town aspects are rewarding. we moved to Searsport from a metropolitan area and wished we had done it years ago. Of course you can always move to a smaller coastal community later. We have made more friends in the short time we have been here then we had ever made in 20 years before. With a population of just 2000 it is much easier to get to know people and truly be part of a community. The population of our previous home was 35,000, which seems small but still too large to enjoy a community atmosphere.
I'm not sure where this image of Maine people being reserved comes from...
When I have visited other states no ome ever even looks you in the eye when passing on the street or shopping. Here people nod in the store, smile, let you out in traffic, hardly reserved. Maine people do have a definite live and let live nature though. If that is reserved I'm all for it. Here is a strong word of advise. If you like what you find when you come to Maine remember not to try to change it into what you just left. Good luck with your new adventure.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 AM

5 posts, read 23,191 times
Thanks so much for this. You're right, my experiences while visiting Maine have been universally positive. I have a whole collection of hand drawn maps people made me of places I might like to visit! I live near Los Angeles, now, and the complete anonymity here is the thing I dislike most. Thanks for your encouragement!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,938 times
My family moved to Maine in 1965. I went to Searsport High. Worked locally for a while and this area is just one of the friendliest places around. Even though I have lived here since I was 14 there are still those who love to tell everyone I'm from "AWAY." And to top it all off, I moved here from Massachusetts, which I came to find out comes close to being a crime. Like 'PATSFAN' said, don't try to change what you find here into what you left. Well Said!
When the people from AWAY try to get ordinances passed keeping the lobster and fishing boats out of the harbor because it spoils the view of the pretty sailboats, that's when IT hits the fan.
I would ,however, avoid areas like Bar Harbor, Camden, Old Orchard Beach. Not that they aren't beautiful places but that's where the tourists seem to head in the summer and if you are trying to get away from the crowds these would be a few areas to visit during the off season period. There are hundreds of small towns and villages all along the coast. I don't know how I would choose. Best of luck.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Pssst. bigkid1950, You are commenting on a thread over two years old. The poster had five posts back then and never came back.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Have they really done that?

That's pretty obnoxious.

Especially since workboats are generally beautiful.

Lobster boats especially so. (I know--they're loud, too--and in the early a.m. But if they disturb my sleep when I move to Maine, I'll just have to learn to get up earlier.)

Old 01-04-2010, 04:24 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Pssst. bigkid1950, You are commenting on a thread over two years old. The poster had five posts back then and never came back.
Well, I'm glad he did.

Among other things, because Stockton Springs and Cape Jellison are among the areas I'm interested in moving to.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:55 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
If there were a time limit on threads CD would lock them. If it's useful information why does the age of a thread matter?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,055 times
My family is considering a Maine move this summer and I like this thread. You never know when old news becomes new news for someone else.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:59 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinAH View Post
My family is considering a Maine move this summer and I like this thread. You never know when old news becomes new news for someone else.
Aaaaaayyyup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine