Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 PM

15 posts, read 40,110 times

Advertisements

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated! You all Rock!!!
We bought land great deal, very pretty 1/2 acre that will only allow Travel Trailer Great in the Summer I would imagine.
No permenent fixtures. There used to be a house there years ago alls thats left is the foundation. There is a marsh out back. We love the place its too bad we cant even put a mobile on it. Can you survive the Maine winters in a Travel Trailer? I have no idea. Any thoughts on this one. Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,399,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyangel View Post
Any ideas would be greatly appriciated! You all Rock!!!
We bought land great deal, very pretty 1/2 acre that will only allow Travel Trailer Great in the Summer I would imagine.
No permenent fixtures. There used to be a house there years ago alls thats left is the foundation. There is a marsh out back. We love the place its too bad we cant even put a mobile on it. Can you survive the Maine winters in a Travel Trailer? I have no idea. Any thoughts on this one. Thanks a million!
I remembered this old thread. I think you might find what you're looking for here. hthhttps://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...n-trailer.html

Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,743,608 times
There was a home there before. They may have had an outhouse. Maybe there is not enough room for a conventional septic system on the lot with today's rules. All is not lost. You have alternatives.

1. You may be able to have a grey water drain installed for your wash water. The most common brand is an Elgin In-drain.

2. You can install an incinerating toilet which needs no leach field at all. I have an Incinolet at my camp. - I N C I N O L E T -

3. Although the local planning board is limited by state guidelines, you may be able to get a variance from the local appeals board for a 2 bedroom.

I have been on planning boards in Maine since 1973 (yes, 35 years). PM me with any questions involving companies. Right there in Etna there is a company that makes portable buildings. I own one. They do excellent work and are quite reasonable. Their biggest is a 14 by 40. Most towns don't require a building permit if the building is not on a permanent foundation. After all, it's portable.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:17 AM

109 posts, read 199,378 times
Did you buy it through a real estate broker?
Did THEY list it as a house lot or buildable sight?
Did you do a Title Search & purchase Title Insurance?

If the answer to the first two are yes, go see the Broker. If they won't make good on it to your satisfaction, call a lawyer!

If you purchased it with the "No permanent structures" either ask the town for a variance or live with the "great deal" you payed for. You may be too close to the wetland to build, but the land may also be grandfathered which I am now told the term is "non-conforming".

Do your homework, get a legal opinion (paid) and good luck!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 AM

37,550 posts, read 61,609,878 times
Maine makes a huge distinction between 'permanent' and everything else.

To my limited understanding [and I am be corrected shortly] to be permanent you need concrete or stone.

The previous house foundation is grand-fathered, so use it as a form to fill with gravel to make a pad.

A mobile home is not permanent.

NMLM is my hero!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,527,251 times
For four season use, look into Arctic Fox trailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: