Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 PM

306 posts, read 1,037,241 times

Advertisements

Connecticut is New England's New Jersey.

*shutters*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 04:32 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,034,049 times
anyone who has traveled to Connecticut's northwest hills or the states eastern 'quiet corner' will easily see it has NO resemblance to New Jersey- zip, nada, zero. Connecticut is also totally different in urban and town design as well as house form and culture- it looks like New England- not New Jersey-period.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:47 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,023,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappycamper View Post
Connecticut is New England's New Jersey.

*shutters*

Huh? Not even close. And I don't mean that as a slam to NJ - NJ is just different in so, so many ways.

But I guess that's the mindset of Northern New England sometimes. "CT isn't REALLY New England" Riiiiight. You should come for a tour of the Farmington River Valley or Litchfield among other places sometime. I get a laugh when I'm called a flatlander by the Northern folks.

Heck the Hartford Region is more hilly than all of Eastern Mass! lol

Old 02-12-2007, 09:33 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,100,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlily71 View Post

I would not live in Maine or Connecticut. Maine has a lot of social ills it would love to ignore: Incest, teen pregnancy, drugs, poverty. I have never met so many foster children since I moved to Maine.
Oh now wait a minute. Catlily71 you can spew all you want about your personal opinion of your personal experience in Maine, but get your FACTS straight. Maine has one of the lowest teen pregnancy rates in the country, 46th in 2000. Our drug problem is minuscule compared to those in urban states like New Jersey or Florida or the meth problem in places like Missouri and Iowa. We have one of the lowest crime rates in the United States. As for incest, I have family working in the Maine legal system and they tell me child sexual abuse in Maine is nothing compared to other states. Yes, we're poor, but we're not so bitter about it that we're running away.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:21 AM

37,489 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Oh now wait a minute. Catlily71 you can spew all you want about your personal opinion of your personal experience in Maine, but get your FACTS straight. Maine has one of the lowest teen pregnancy rates in the country, 46th in 2000. Our drug problem is minuscule compared to those in urban states like New Jersey or Florida or the meth problem in places like Missouri and Iowa. We have one of the lowest crime rates in the United States. As for incest, I have family working in the Maine legal system and they tell me child sexual abuse in Maine is nothing compared to other states. Yes, we're poor, but we're not so bitter about it that we're running away.
I had not looked up the statistics.

From my direct observation [including with children in the school system], that exactly mirrors my observations.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 PM

9 posts, read 40,293 times
Default Social Ills in America

They are everywhere! However, it is possible to subscribe to some Maine newspapers on line, and I'll suggest that the story of Maine "crime" is readily available through that medium. Additionally, television stations in Maine also have web sites; frequently, one may find news stories there-in contained. Let's stop indulging in criticism, and let's start looking at factual information! As for the person claiming to know about incest in Maine; please cite specifics; anything else is nothing more than sensationalism or gossip, and I challenge that attitude as beneath contempt and unacceptable.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,432,992 times
Sorry to say that this thread has turned silly to me, coming from SE Texas where my brother is quite possibly my uncle - or cousin, oh no, that was my aunt! I know full well this atrocity exists in every state in the Union, unfortunately. None of us are exempt from perversion as long as we have humans living around us.

There was a very sad news story of a home being raided near us when I was about 19 years old. There was a father and 18 children in the home - it took months to sort out who were his actual children and who were his grandchildren and which of his daughters he had fathered some of those children with. Very sad!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM

113 posts, read 342,347 times
Default A little late perhaps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincor4 View Post
I am a single mom with 2 kids, 11 & 8. I am wanting to relocate to the East Coast, and my limited research has me looking at Maine and Connecticut. I currently work for the USPS, so finding a job shouldn't be too difficult. What we need is affordable housing, a safe neighborhood, and good school. We would probably need to rent at first, (we own cats) but then hopefully buy a home of our own. I now have section 8 housing, but will probably lose that once I get full time work. Any suggestions, comments, or words of advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I'm alittle late I'm sure. I had to respond.

I would choose Maine before CT. Infact I did. I would recomend Hallowell. Check it out!

Schools are great..it's a artsy town ( if you like that ) It would be hard to find a better place.

I found the people to be the best! Salt of the earth. You will also find that Hallowell is a place that attracts "outsiders" who want the lifestyle that the progressive town offers.

Just as a reminder.."when in Rome , do as the Romans do" is sound advice to any transplant , anywhere!

The people who have a hard time adjusting say things like " back in anytown we did it THIS way'! Or try and change things after they move to Maine.

That won't fly!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:21 PM

104 posts, read 338,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGod View Post
It's inexpensive to live in Maine.
WOW I am shocked at this comment.......if you are talking about being in the middle of nowhere maybe yes this is true. We are a very expensive place to live considering the job market around here.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:17 PM

37,489 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&KsMom View Post
WOW I am shocked at this comment.......if you are talking about being in the middle of nowhere maybe yes this is true. We are a very expensive place to live considering the job market around here.
We came up from Norwich Conn, this is WAY cheaper than living in Conn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine