Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 11:17 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,703,910 times

Advertisements

Phish Head,
We moved from WI to NJ last year. It is so expensive there that it's almost impossible to make it. My husband worked his full-time job plus a part-time job. I had to work 2 part-time jobs and we still couldn't make ends meet. After 8 months, we had enough. We tried so hard to get to Maine, but unfortunately the job situation isn't so great there it seems. Hubby ended up taking a job in NC, which is where we live now. Exactly 2 weeks after we moved here, we got an email from a company in Maine wanting to interview my husband. Needless to say, I was devastated. I like NC, but Maine will always be the place for us. I know it's not perfect, no place is. But it's as close to perfect as it gets to me. I wish we had waited just a little longer.
I know though that someday we'll end up moving there....Good luck with your move to Maine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2006, 07:40 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,333,066 times
I have recently found out that what people mean when they say that Maine is the poorest state is that Maine is one of the most welfare friendly states. It doesn't mean the state is "poor". However, the unemployment rate is higher and there are more people taking advantage of welfare. On the other hand though, if jobs are that hard to find, I'm assuming, it's not one of our "richest" states either. I've been looking to move from Jersey for a long time now and I thought Maine was "IT" for us, however, upon further research, I'm learning, I might've been wrong about that. I don't even know if it's worth leaving Jersey now. If my husband and I are going to have trouble finding jobs, what happens to our kids when they start graduating and looking? I know things could change, but Maine doesn't seem like it's going to have a major growth spurt in jobs anytime soon.

So confusing.....

Old 05-20-2006, 08:02 PM

92 posts, read 226,553 times
^ It depends on what industry really. There's tons of growth here but not necessarily in the sectors that interest you. The hospital continues to grow and a ton of retail and other business has come in. LL Bean added a place up here, etc.

They want to put a 113,000 square foot Lowes in across the bridge from here and just built 1 of two new shopping districts in the area. It makes little sense to me since last I knew there was still about 33,000 people here, but they all seem busy busy.

Jobs is an issue, certainly. But it's also one that the Governor and other folks have been working to fix. They kind of have to, since mills have been closing and there are a fair deal of people that do need and want to work.

Our unemployment rate for February was 4.6% and has been lowering as time goes on.

http://www.maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/...4983&v=Article

It can, of course, always be better.

--D

Old 05-21-2006, 01:17 PM

538 posts, read 2,459,734 times
pixieshmoo, all I can say is don't give up. No one should be forced to stay in this hellhole state. I've had a terrible time finding work in Maine to the point of us pretty much giving up. I've also chalked it up to employers not wanting to hire someone with a out-of-state address, as well as having a large enough pool of local unemployed citizens to choose from.

I had an interview at a out-of-state company, drove 7 hours each way, and the employer flat-out told me that although I was perfect for the job, he would rather hire someone local. I could scream "geographic discrimination" but I think employers have the right to discriminate based on that if they choose. A human resource person I know told me that at her company, an out-of-state resume goes into the recycling bin.

I decided to settle on one state (Upstate NY) and saving enough money to move there with only one job, even no job. It's a risk. It may be a one bedroom apartment, in a basement, in a shady part of town, for $300 a month, but its really just for the address. I think that will give us a tremendous advantage in the job hunt. Plus, you have ready access to newspapers, people, local postings, etc, that you don't have from NJ. A friend of mine that was hellbent on moving to Colorado did this, and it took a solid year to get on his feet, but now he is and he is loving it. I know he worked in a mall and lived in a cruddy apartment, but now he has a full time, high paying job and a house.

Its not a move for everyone (especially with kids) but in my experience, kids are easier to adapt to changes, even for the worse, than adults. Just my two cents

Last edited by Phish Head; 05-21-2006 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-31-2006, 11:42 AM

74 posts, read 206,292 times
Default Phish Head/others concerning out of state address

You can get a PO Box in a Maine town for locality and a cell phone from Maine (one area code for whole state) for contact. Most employers probably will not pay much mind to a PO Box as an address and cell phones are eclipsing home phones, etc.

My advice is to not put all your eggs in one basket trying to move into Maine. For every person I read on this board that moves here, I know of someone personally who wants to move out. Usually those are the youths. I think that would be OK, and maybe they will want to move back someday. They have to see how the rest of America is compared to Maine and make up their minds. So, have some reserves about what you expect from Maine. The only thing that kills me here is how to make a living. It is annoying to think we have a fragile economy here and jobs can be downsized or reduced in benefits if employers have the gumption to do so. For every 1000 people laid off, that is 1000 people competing for jobs and having to drive farther for work,not contributing to local economy, and maybe getting welfare in process.

Overall, I like it here. The weather I can handle. The time from late December through March are the most challenging for weather. I feel much more freedom here though than alot of other places in the country I have lived. I think it has to do with smaller congestion. Maine has 1.3 million people. A city here has 50,000 people. That is like a suburb in NJ.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:30 AM

51 posts, read 173,401 times
This article really caught my eye, especially one of the statements...

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.co.../2801389.shtml

"...Over the past five years more people are moving to Maine than are moving out of the state -- which represents a significant reversal over the trend in the 1990s, according to Michael Montagna, an economist with the Maine State Planning Office.

Maine was only one of three states -- with Maryland and Wyoming -- to achieve such a reversal, according to U.S. Census Bureau statistics. This despite the fact that, during the same period, New England as a whole was a population loser, Montagna said..."

Old 06-07-2006, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 48,531 times
PhishHead,

If you see this, I'm curious. If you "can't wait to move", why are you still hoping "that something will pan out"?

Old 06-07-2006, 06:11 PM

15 posts, read 76,063 times
Pixie I know how it feels to move. I moved from NY to PA in 1992. And when things got bad there we moved to Maine in 2003. maby from the sale of your house i am sure you can find a much cheaper one here. it is much cheaper to live here. And safety is a factor in why we moved. Have you and your husband considered starting your own business or working out of the home. You can really make your life simple here. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:45 PM

538 posts, read 2,459,734 times
Default mainr2b

mainr2b- I'm hoping something pans out in the job field. They keep saying that the economy is getting better. I don't see it. Both me and my wife are looking for work in Maine- unsuccessfully. I can't leave unless at least one of us has an offer. I am leaving this state (NJ) as soon as I can, one way or another. Once my rent goes up in a few months, we have to find another place to live. We are paying well over 50% of our salary in rent here. Its not like I can go elsewhere in the state, the whole state is expensive. Also, we didn't really choose to live here, my job relocated us from PA, and I never realized the difference in price when we made the move.

This whole state is a haven for the super rich, and those that service them. My town of Freehold is a perfect example. The borough (downtown) is all Mexican, day laborers, immigrants, and quite depressed. People begging for a job for a day. Contractors in trucks drive through and pick them up. 10 people live in one house. No tax base because no one pays taxes- off the books work. Freehold Township, which surrounds the borough, has $1 million+ homes, and if you "look" out of place, you'll get pulled over by the cops. It's sick whats going on here. Same in Long Island. Maine was our first choice because we love to vacation there, and we are definitely snow people, I love the northeast.

Last edited by Phish Head; 06-08-2006 at 07:59 PM..

Old 06-10-2006, 09:06 AM

8 posts, read 48,531 times
Phish Head,

I certainly understand why you would want to move. When I asked you that question, I was thinking you were already in Maine. Now, I get it! Sorry about that.

I think the idea about getting a P.O. Box in Maine to use for your job search is good.

Good luck with your quest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine