Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:26 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
The Ford F-150, most popular passenger vehicle in Maine.

Maine's mileage migraine | Portland Press Herald
May well be, I am not doubting their reserach.. but if that is the case the Subaru (likely the Forester model) has got to be second. At least in the Bangor area... I have been stopped at many a light and spotted nothing but fellow Subarus around as far as I could identify cars.

But yeah there are a lot of F-150s also... I think three of them live next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 03:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,261,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am pretty sure that if you hit a moose at speed in anything less then a tank, well, it won't be pretty.

Maine already has a state car. It is known as the Subaru.

Which side is the Confederates?
it cant be the subaru, how do you haul bait, or traps, or a deer in the back of a subaru? and you cant plow a driveway with an outback!!

id have to agree with the ford f-150, you can put just about anything in the back of a ford truck... it can help you "move" be in a parade, transport any and all agriculture, and pick up bigger things you dont need at a lawnsale.... be a mobile vending business (think of the trucks on the side of the road selling anything from strawberries, to shrimp)
tho it may be illegal now,,,but when we were kids,,,that was the most popular mode of transportation,,,"get in the back of the truck, and hang on"

Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
it cant be the subaru, how do you haul bait, or traps, or a deer in the back of a subaru? and you cant plow a driveway with an outback!!

id have to agree with the ford f-150, you can put just about anything in the back of a ford truck... it can help you "move" be in a parade, transport any and all agriculture, and pick up bigger things you dont need at a lawnsale.... be a mobile vending business (think of the trucks on the side of the road selling anything from strawberries, to shrimp)
tho it may be illegal now,,,but when we were kids,,,that was the most popular mode of transportation,,,"get in the back of the truck, and hang on"
well if it were MY Subaru... ... LOL admittedly you can't plow with one, but bait? traps? deer? shouldn't be a problem. Heck I hauled goats and sheep in my old Ford sedan, when it was all I had! Did I tell y'all the one about the kids in another car when we stopped at the gas station? We were carrying a goat home and it had stuck its head out the back window of the car, just like a dog would do, when we stopped. "Hey, lady, what kind of dog is that?" (the kids mom was standing right there... didn't make any attempt to correct them) I replied, "A nubian." and since we were done fueling and had paid, drove off.

Still wondering how long they thought Nubian was a breed of dog.

But yeah, my cars get treated like trucks and my pickup... well... I think I need new springs and I kNOW I need new shocks! LOL

Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,251,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
well if it were MY Subaru... ... LOL admittedly you can't plow with one, but bait? traps? deer? shouldn't be a problem. Heck I hauled goats and sheep in my old Ford sedan, when it was all I had! Did I tell y'all the one about the kids in another car when we stopped at the gas station? We were carrying a goat home and it had stuck its head out the back window of the car, just like a dog would do, when we stopped. "Hey, lady, what kind of dog is that?" (the kids mom was standing right there... didn't make any attempt to correct them) I replied, "A nubian." and since we were done fueling and had paid, drove off.

Still wondering how long they thought Nubian was a breed of dog.

But yeah, my cars get treated like trucks and my pickup... well... I think I need new springs and I kNOW I need new shocks! LOL

I think he means lobsta bait and traps. You really don't want them near your Subaru unless it is a Deer Isle pick up.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,929,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
A close family friend living in the Portland area is the buyer for five Land Rover dealerships in New England. I met up with him for a couple days in June '06 and he was on his way to the auto action in Manchester CT. His priority was to pick up as many used Volvo's as he could as they are the most popular cars to get people into if they can't afford or don't want to spend the money on a Range Rover or even a Land Rover. He was looking to buy around 20 Volvo's to spread around if he could.

From what I've read about Volvo's, Maine seems to fit the lifestyle and landscape well with Sweden. Both have many long dark snowy days and lots of deer or elk with thick pine forests to challenge the auto industry. A solid metal box, heavy on headlights and crumple zones, is probably not a real bad thing for some people. I probably wouldn't drive one but if the right circumstance and price came up, I might cross the line.

Labamba, thanks for the details on that one corner of the line.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 AM

278 posts, read 700,518 times
No problema.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 AM

278 posts, read 700,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunata View Post
"...He's a Massachusetts man, Lord, and you know no good can come of that."
Excellent quote, fortunata. Would you mind if I posted it on the "Deep Thoughts" thread?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:59 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,256,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Maybe you are right, I dunno. I have never seen more Subarus in any other state as I have here; locals have mentioned that they are probably the most popular car; and judging by the endorsment of them put forth by almost everyone on this forum leads me to suggest that they are indeed the car of choice.

I was not aware that lobster fisherman lived anywhere that was not in close proximity to the coast.

I have seen many deer being transported in all sorts of vehicles. My dad used to go hunting up in Trinity (Nor Cal) in a Datsun 510 station wagon. Suited him just fine.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:27 PM

55 posts, read 163,520 times
Labamba, the quote actually goes
"He's a Massachusetts man, and Thou knowest no good can come of that"
I wanted to check and see if I remembered it quite right. It's from Drums Along the Mohawk.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,026,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
A close family friend living in the Portland area is the buyer for five Land Rover dealerships in New England. I met up with him for a couple days in June '06 and he was on his way to the auto action in Manchester CT.
FYI there is no auction in Manchester. There is Southern Auto Auction in East Windsor that I believe is the largest auction in New England.

Manchester, CT is FAR from the "volvo" crowd. We are a down to earth working class small city. Think Brunswick feel with maybe a Lewiston/Auburn crowd.

Unfortunately it's changing fast as we are IMO the last, clean, decent working class (Read semi-affordable) city in the state and it's getting hammered in all directions and it's face is changing.

So if I am to understand this...places like Gardiner are becoming granola, bean sprout and tofu havens where folks sit around with a latte and think of new ways to spend tax money? Please say it aint so...

OR, should that line be a very jagged line with dips and peaks of "influx"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine