Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:00 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times

Advertisements

Maybe it depends on who is on air when you watch? Jim Cantore is from Vermont and went to Lyndon State College, and I've heard him mention northern Vermont and New England quite a few times.
Anyway, I find the TWC pretty useless. I do like that new show they have on at 8:00 though...Abram & Bets? I use the National Weather Service and the local TV stations for my weather info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 02:13 PM

71 posts, read 421,853 times
Default A Response from TWC

Here's the reponse I received from TWC:

"Thank you for your email and "map blockage" complaint. Our on camera
meteorologists are very much aware of this problem and have been making a
concerted effort to reduce, if not eliminate these occurrences. Hopefully,
they can stand clear of Maine and all of northern New England in the immediate
future!

We are always happy to hear from our viewers, and hope you will continue to
watch The Weather Channel for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Chris Hoitsma
Solutions Center/TWC"

Hmmm, sounds scripted. Well, I have to watch TWC here in NJ for our business anyway so I'll watch to see if there's any improvement. Notice they didn't mention anything about including Maine in their forecasts?

Old 01-16-2007, 03:36 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,625 times
There is a national weather service station in Gray, Maine and you can call their number any time of day or night to hear an in depth, updated recording of the weather (Southern and Eastern Maine). It also gives information about tides and everything, quite useful. 207-688-3210. It is the same cost of calling anyone else. If you live in the Bangor region, either North or West, there is a national weather service station in Caribou, ME which focuses on Northern and Western ME. I'm afraid i dont know their number but it's probably on their site somewhere, I cant seem to find it though.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 PM

149 posts, read 1,098,279 times
Default DirecTV does not have local channels for Bangor area

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemejersey View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but I can't get those channels from my satellite configuration. Currently, my home in Central Maine runs off the same account and configuration as my house in NJ. It saves us major dollars until we make the permanent move. It only costs us $5 a month to operate the satellite in ME. The downside, of course, is that while in ME I have to watch Philly news which is very depressing. Since we don't get any local ME channels, we rely on the radio which only offer NH and southern ME weather.
Don't know if you're a DirecTV subscriber, but while we lived in Newport, the only way I could get local channels was to either go with cable (Adelphia) or put up an antenna. DirecTV had (has?) plans to broadcast Portland stations, but didn't have any plans to broadcast Bangor channels.

I had already signed up for a year contract with DirecTV after I figured this out, so we ended up buying the local-only package ($15/mo) from Adelphia and watching the other channels thru DirecTV.

It worked out fine, it was just a pain to pay two cable bills each month.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:30 PM

165 posts, read 415,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemejersey View Post
Can anyone enlighten me as to why the Weather Channel does not ackowledge Maine? As someone that travels to Maine 2-3 times a month, it is imperative that we watch the weather before we drive North. The Weather Channel will show Boston weather and occasionally will mention Quebec but does not offer any insight for Maine? Why? My other beef is that since they don't mention Maine, it is left up to us to look at the maps they display and the broadcasters always stand in front of the State of Maine. I find myself shouting at the TV asking them to move out of the way. Anyone know someone from TWC that I can talk to about this? Is there another weather channel I can subscribe to on Direct TV to get Maine weather?
Any help will be appreciated.
I laughed out loud when I read this - the last time I vented about the exact things you're saying was over the weekend, as a major storm approached and I couldn't see anything over Maine except for Kristina Abernathy's big... blonde hair.

I'm sending an email to TWC in the morning. I'm pretty fed up with it.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 18,620 times
noaa is updated hourly and you can recieve it anywhere. it has it's own bandwidth, you can pick it up on a cb radio or a portable radio just for them.
i yell at the weather channel also, they must think we need to see them waving their hands across the national map as if we didn't know geography. if they tell us it's raining in chicago, i think i can pick that city off the map without someone pointing to it

Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,699,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidscycle View Post
noaa is updated hourly and you can recieve it anywhere. it has it's own bandwidth, you can pick it up on a cb radio or a portable radio just for them.
i yell at the weather channel also, they must think we need to see them waving their hands across the national map as if we didn't know geography. if they tell us it's raining in chicago, i think i can pick that city off the map without someone pointing to it
Unfortunately, there are lots of people who don't know basic geography. A few years ago while I was visiting a relative in AZ, a neighbor there asked where I was from. I told her Wisconsin. She thought WI was in Europe. Ouch! (She was a recent high school graduate.) I know this is an extreme example. Just thought I'd share....

Old 01-19-2007, 09:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,469,153 times
All you need to know about the weather channel is they have a website that gives accurate updates of weather conditions every half an hour to hour, averages and precipitation records for an area, and a 10 day outlook, and much more! Weather.com

Last edited by dusesean1986; 01-19-2007 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-19-2007, 11:52 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,437 times
We are known as Northern New England by the weather channel

Old 01-20-2007, 10:42 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,469,153 times
Post Maine isn't the Only One

You could say the same for Alaska, Hawaii, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, all don't receive much recognition as Maine and are rarely mentioned. They do focus on large cities to the extreme; i.e. Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Orlando, Dallas, Houston, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine