Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 03:08 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Grey View Post
Hi Mainers, considering a short term (?) move to Maine. We are both from the West (CA, CO) and have lived all over the NW and SW plus HI, Costa Rica. And FL, MN, NYC. But we’ve never really experienced the NE (NYC for school, didn’t get out of the city much). We are considering a move to check out a completely different part of the US. If it’s a temporary move, we will work in the service industry, and not too worried about job opportunities. If we love it and want to set root, we would need access to a potentially thriving economy. We like space and privacy, when not “working,” but strive to be good neighbors and members in our community. We volunteer, we like live music (any size venue), supporting small businesses, and looking out for the most vulnerable. A good public library is a huge bonus. We garden and love the outdoors and nature.
Our budget is 180-200k max with work and renovations (we like old, single family homes). I would like to be 20-30 min from “city” amenities (twice a month?). By “city,” I mean shopping, markets, etc. i don’t want to rely on Amazon for supplies.
We might take a year to explore a new territory, but if we feel the potential, we are keen to stay long term. Long term requires access to a more financially sound/tourist (?) area as we would be setting up our hat making millinery business.
Short term or long term, where do you suggest we search? Every place I’ve searched looks beautiful (natural beauty is key!). We have felt welcome and comfortable in all parts of the US, as visitors, and are curious about Maine, as well.
This is a very general and broad request of suggestions, I realize, but I love researching your responses. Due to an aging pet, we can only take separate exploratory trips.
Thank you!
I have never lived in Maine but do visit on and off, my favorite town
is Belfast and always dream of living there for a period. Good Luck !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 05:02 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I have never lived in Maine but do visit on and off, my favorite town
is Belfast and always dream of living there for a period. Good Luck !
Belfast might be a good place for the OP to look at, plenty of good job openings at Mathews brothers, on the ocean, but close to some rural area's.
But once again housing is the big issue.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:08 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
I have some friends who moved to Maine after visiting for many years. They told me things they loved about Maine when visiting are things they don't particularly like about living in Maine.

Old 07-10-2023, 06:11 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I have some friends who moved to Maine after visiting for many years. They told me things they loved about Maine when visiting are things they don't particularly like about living in Maine.
That's funny! Kind of like what makes you fall in love with someone, is what you eventually hate about them after years and years Or so i hear.

To the OP, I live in Washington County, Maine. Down East Maine. I think they call Wash. Co. "the other Maine" if i remember right. I moved from NJ 5 years ago where i lived in Salem County, which was also the forgotten county. I love it here. It's not perfect but no place is. It's rural, but there is live music pretty much every week close by.

A nice, big grocery store nearby also. Just have to travel a bit for Walmart and most fast food. We have a hospital 15 minutes away and a library 10 minutes. A market for fresh, local food 10 minutes away. Lots of fresh local seafood too.

Two hours to Bangor and 1.5 to Ellsworth, so this is probably too rural for you. But it's beautiful and you may want to visit just to look around.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:32 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
In the spring of 1942, most of the young men had joined the military to go and fight Japan or Germany. There was nobody around to cut wood. Timber companies put an ad in the Madawaska paper. "Wood cutters need in the Lincoln, Maine area." The Daigle family came down. The "Daigle boys" had tried to join the Army and were rejected because they didn't speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine