Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:35 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

The blossoms are almost all gone from my apple trees and it's time for me to start spraying for the myriad of pests that love the little forming apples.
I have always used a pesticide/fungicide combination which does a pretty good job but I worry about drift affecting non target bugs,spiders, butterflies, and bees. What do you use on your apple trees and how successful have you been in keeping the bugs away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 04:07 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Do you use a dormant oil spray in the fall?

Have you tried garlic / ACV for the fungus?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Do you use a dormant oil spray in the fall?

Have you tried garlic / ACV for the fungus?
I have some anti fungal garlic but It was not for the trees. I'll try it. The stuff I use now supposedly goes inert after a few days but I don't know if I trust it?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I have some anti fungal garlic but It was not for the trees. I'll try it. The stuff I use now supposedly goes inert after a few days but I don't know if I trust it?
I am not aware of any garlic that is not 'antifungal'.

Copper works well too. I don't know what copper solutions you can get, once they start listing big 50 cent words I don't trust them.

Do you need to deal with fungus every year?

I might try making a copper ion solution in January and having it ready to go come spring each year. A couple copper wires dropped into a 5-gallon bucket of salt water, and connected to a 9v battery should do the trick.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I am not aware of any garlic that is not 'antifungal'.

Copper works well too. I don't know what copper solutions you can get, once they start listing big 50 cent words I don't trust them.

Do you need to deal with fungus every year?

I might try making a copper ion solution in January and having it ready to go come spring each year. A couple copper wires dropped into a 5-gallon bucket of salt water, and connected to a 9v battery should do the trick.
I get this fungas "blight" I'm not sure of the name of it right off hand bit I get little black blotches on the leaves and some fruit. It isn't terrible but sometimes it is heavy enough to cause problems with the nourishment of the tree due to lowered photosynthesis. I have a plating system I could make the copper solution from quite easily ....thanks forest!

Old 05-31-2008, 07:50 PM

You are welcome.

Oil sprays are meant to control pests whose larva over-winter, and if a copper solution can control the fungi; do you have other pests?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
You are welcome.

Oil sprays are meant to control pests whose larva over-winter, and if a copper solution can control the fungi; do you have other pests?
Yes Deer!!!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:24 PM

I have loading pallets erected in a 'pen' around each tree.

I am waiting to see if I need to add a hot wire or ribbon around the top of those pens.

I have electric netting fence around our gardens, and around our goat pen.

And I use hot tape or ribbon, the flat braided poly with little wires woven in it, to go around our chicken tractor. It helps to remind the goats that I do not like them pestering our chickens; and that chicken feed is for chickens; and that I do not like goats on top of the chicken enclosures. It also helps to keep my blood pressure down, and it likely serves to lengthen the life span of our goats [as otherwise I would be shooting goats more often].

When they begin investigating our apple trees, I intend to run hot ribbon along the top of the pallet pens encircling our trees.

I would suggest that you consider doing the same.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I have loading pallets erected in a 'pen' around each tree.

I am waiting to see if I need to add a hot wire or ribbon around the top of those pens.

I have electric netting fence around our gardens, and around our goat pen.

And I use hot tape or ribbon, the flat braided poly with little wires woven in it, to go around our chicken tractor. It helps to remind the goats that I do not like them pestering our chickens; and that chicken feed is for chickens; and that I do not like goats on top of the chicken enclosures. It also helps to keep my blood pressure down, and it likely serves to lengthen the life span of our goats [as otherwise I would be shooting goats more often].

When they begin investigating our apple trees, I intend to run hot ribbon along the top of the pallet pens encircling our trees.

I would suggest that you consider doing the same.
Sounds like a good idea forest, Thanks!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:35 PM

You are welcome.

May god bless you and keep you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine