Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 10:29 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Hey American Girl - i heard one time that a store in Ellsworth sells it, but i've never been there. It's called Acadia Provisions. Have you ever been? I don't believe it could be true lol
They are after the organic crowd… I’d be surprised if they had it

If you are in the Ellsworth area … call friends and family market
Ask for Chris the meat manager
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 04:57 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
It’s Taylor pork roll in Maine many many stores in Maine sell it
Hi, thank you, and thanks for the list. I had searched everywhere and found no place nearby - say within 3 hours!, that carried it.

I actually don't remember finding ANYwhere. I like whatever sized package has the thin slices. I will check out these places.

Someone told me Acadia Provisions had it because they carry Boar's Head who supposedly distribute it now.

I'm in East Machias.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:59 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
They are after the organic crowd… I’d be surprised if they had it

If you are in the Ellsworth area … call friends and family market
Ask for Chris the meat manager
They have high end products. I’d they’re after the “swells” who are not really the organic crowd.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:37 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I grew up outside Philadelphia - I think scrapple is basically the cheap parts of the hog - the scraps, with some grain for filler and binder plus spices like you find in sausages. It does tend to be quite fatty. I am sure none of that *sounds* very good, but all that said, when slices are fried until it's kind of crispy, it's actually a pretty tasty breakfast meat with eggs :-). If you're a little bit adventurous eater and come across it at the market, give it a go - it's better than it sounds.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-21-2023 at 03:51 PM..

Old 05-21-2023, 06:40 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
I’m getting a clearer picture. Spam was a staple of my early childhood. My dad enjoyed it with Saturday night beans until he passed in October at age 93.

What's the difference between Spam and Taylor ham?

It's the New Jersey version of Spam but doesn't have the chunks. It's almost a more intensely salty-sweet version of bologna, but bologna is too smooth, whereas pork roll has more of an “artisanal” texture.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
I’m getting a clearer picture. Spam was a staple of my early childhood. My dad enjoyed it with Saturday night beans until he passed in October at age 93.

What's the difference between Spam and Taylor ham?

It's the New Jersey version of Spam but doesn't have the chunks. It's almost a more intensely salty-sweet version of bologna, but bologna is too smooth, whereas pork roll has more of an “artisanal” texture.
Yes you described pork roll pretty great. Now i'm craving it even more.

I grew up on Treet more often than Spam. We did also eat Scrapple, but in the morning with eggs. It was not my favorite but my dad loved it. I had to "try some of everything," so my mom would cook it very well done for me and i'd eat a few bites with my eggs.

Old 05-22-2023, 02:03 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
...it is also eaten as a sandwich with melted cheese on a hamburger roll, bagel, or Kaiser roll with or without egg. The sandwich is sold on the Jersey shore boardwalks also.
No, no, no! Heated on the skillet. Then make a sandwich with an English muffin that has mustard on it!!!

Old 05-22-2023, 02:05 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Yes you described pork roll pretty great. Now i'm craving it even more.

I grew up on Treet more often than Spam. We did also eat Scrapple, but in the morning with eggs. It was not my favorite but my dad loved it. I had to "try some of everything," so my mom would cook it very well done for me and i'd eat a few bites with my eggs.

I tried scraple once. It made spam look like haute cuisine.

Old 05-22-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
No, no, no! Heated on the skillet. Then make a sandwich with an English muffin that has mustard on it!!!
I like it on an English muffin, and a bagel also!, but i don't put mustard on it. I'll eat it on white bread toast if that's all i have! And yes i always cook it in a frying pan - cut the slice in four places so it won't curl! And gotta have cheese on it.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:24 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I tried scraple once. It made spam look like haute cuisine.
LOL - I think of it as the haggis of Pennsylvania... you know you're in for a unique experience when you read the written description of the pork as "scraps", "off-cuts", or "offal" that's blended with grains.

The main thing is that it needs to be sliced fairly thin - maybe 3/8in thick, and then fried until the outside is crispy brown and the inside will be warm and soft - then I actually like it.

I will admit that I haven't had it since leaving South Jersey many years ago though. It's not so much scrapple PTSD as that as I've gotten older I try to favor healthier foods, and scrapple seems like a fattier kind of pork sausage - I'd actually welcome a portion, but don't want to eat a whole package of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine