Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 05:07 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

Any time you build on a slab, put at least 2 inches of foam insulation on the earth and you will not be trying to heat the earth. Maine well water from a drilled well is about 55 degrees. Four inches of foam is better. Make sure you are buying closed cell foam. Water will go through open cell foam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 10:46 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Any time you build on a slab, put at least 2 inches of foam insulation on the earth and you will not be trying to heat the earth. Maine well water from a drilled well is about 55 degrees. Four inches of foam is better. Make sure you are buying closed cell foam. Water will go through open cell foam.
Interesting. Well water always seems much colder to me.

Old 05-12-2023, 11:04 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
It is.

https://www.hydroflow-usa.com/maine-...er-temperature

Old 05-12-2023, 12:36 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Long ago I learned an important lesson, which I must frequently remind myself.

I am not a calibrated thermometer. After a long winter, when I have acclimated myself to be comfortable with -20F wind, the first day that it hits 70F, I feel like I am ready to die from the extreme heat. I know it is silly because it is only 70F.

Recently my Dw and I were in our car, remarking at the way our car was acting like an oven, then we checked the actual temp and it was 50F.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:52 AM

I have been in business for about 35 years and have seen a lot of wells. I took a lot of water samples for testing before the state stopped that because they don't trust real estate people. I still take samples for people that just want them. I have seen a lot of wells drilled and taken photos for the property owner. I have lived in my house since 1983, have a drilled well and the water tastes good. I have never had it tested. I have seen a lot of real artesian wells. They are wells that overflow naturally.

I saw one well in Mattawamkeag that was artesian with a pretty good flow rate. The owner had the well capped. On Monday morning, the well pipe was sticking out of the ground like a utility pole. Water pressure from the earth had pushed the casing up. There is a well in Carroll that overflows every spring. The well is in the cellar of a home. It was outside the foundation originally, but when they added onto the house, the expanded foundation put the well inside the foundation. I ended up digging a 40 foot long ditch with my back hoe. It goes into an underground pile of rocks where it goes back into the ground.

Back in the 1800s, farms had a house well and a barn well. Each well had its own bucket. Woe be unto the child that used the barn bucket in the house well. He got a spanking he would never forget because the whole family would have the runs for days. As the cowboys used to say, "Always drink upstream from the herd."

I know of a well that tastes terrible. It has a mineral in it and the owner had to put in a reverse osmosis filter to take the manganese out of it. You don't need an expensive whole house system, just a small one for the kitchen and bathroom The reverse osmosis filter element has to be replaced as often as four months and as long as two years. There are whole books on this.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:15 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have been in business for about 35 years and have seen a lot of wells. I took a lot of water samples for testing before the state stopped that because they don't trust real estate people. I still take samples for people that just want them. I have seen a lot of wells drilled and taken photos for the property owner. I have lived in my house since 1983, have a drilled well and the water tastes good. I have never had it tested. I have seen a lot of real artesian wells. They are wells that overflow naturally.

I saw one well in Mattawamkeag that was artesian with a pretty good flow rate. The owner had the well capped. On Monday morning, the well pipe was sticking out of the ground like a utility pole. Water pressure from the earth had pushed the casing up. There is a well in Carroll that overflows every spring. The well is in the cellar of a home. It was outside the foundation originally, but when they added onto the house, the expanded foundation put the well inside the foundation. I ended up digging a 40 foot long ditch with my back hoe. It goes into an underground pile of rocks where it goes back into the ground.

Back in the 1800s, farms had a house well and a barn well. Each well had its own bucket. Woe be unto the child that used the barn bucket in the house well. He got a spanking he would never forget because the whole family would have the runs for days. As the cowboys used to say, "Always drink upstream from the herd."

I know of a well that tastes terrible. It has a mineral in it and the owner had to put in a reverse osmosis filter to take the manganese out of it. You don't need an expensive whole house system, just a small one for the kitchen and bathroom The reverse osmosis filter element has to be replaced as often as four months and as long as two years. There are whole books on this.
Good information!

Old 05-17-2023, 06:09 AM

I have sold the house across from me three times over the last 30 years or so. It had a Tarm boiler. It burned wood and oil in the same firebox. The owner of the home was a forester. He brought home dry wood from dead trees. When the wood was running out in the boiler, the oil would kick in. When I bought my house in 1983, the price of fuel oil was 83 cents a gallon. Tarm boilers don't burn wood like a campfire in box. THe wood is gasified and the gasses burn. Virtually any combustible will burn in a Tarm. Dry wood is more efficient, but wet alders or brush will burn as soon as combustion begins.

"HS Tarm Wood and Combination boilers, made in Denmark since the turn of the century, were first imported into the USA in 1977 by Tekton Corporation of Conway, MA. Tekton was starter by Walter Goodridge , who also was the first US importer of Lange Stoves.

HS Tarm became a large national brand in 1979 after being featured on the cover of Popular Mechanics Magazine. The country was in the midst of the second oil shock (1978-1980), and sales quickly became brisk with thousands of boilers being sold each year. In 1982 the company was sold to Alan Koenig with the base of operations remaining in Conway, MA."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine