Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ORONO – A pair of moviegoers intending to take in show Thursday afternoon missed their film when they were arrested for allegedly shoplifting popcorn and soda from a local supermarket, snacks police say they were intending to take with them.

Officer Seth Burnes was dispatched to Bell’s IGA at about 1:38 p.m. May 22 where employees were detaining Dustin Mitchell, 18, of Old Town, and Ana Rapp, 20, of Hampden. Employees told police that they had witnessed Mitchell conceal a bottle of soda in his pocket, and then leave with Rapp without paying.

When they confronted the pair outside, they reportedly found one soda and some microwavable popcorn on Mitchell, as well as a soda on Rapp.

When Burnes asked them why they had stolen the items, Mitchell explained that a friend had asked them to go to the movies, and would pay for the pair if they brought the snacks. Since they had no money, they elected to steal the snacks instead, according to police.

Mitchell and Rapp were arrested, taken to Penobscot County Jail and charged with theft by unauthorized taking or transfer.

The duo offered no explanation on how they planned to microwave the popcorn.
This couple may one day reproduce. Taking microwave popcorn into the theater as a snack?

I read this to my Dw, and she told me about at her grocery store last winter before a storm folks were coming in and buying a lot of microwave meals. When she asked why folks were not buying the frozen foods, their reasoning was that during a storm they would likely loose electrical power, so their freezers would go down. Therefore they all wanted microwave meals, in case their power went out.

???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:07 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
With any luck they can't figure out how to reproduce any better than they can pop that popcorn.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:51 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Shhh. They might parent a future President of the United States if things keep going the way they have been going.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,385 times
Remember way, way back when Hurricane Gloria came through Maine? The day before I was in Rich's for who-knows-what, and the woman in front of me was purchasing an electric sandwich maker so that when she lost her power during the storm, she could still have a hot meal.

I looked at the cashier, she looked at me and we both lost it. It is scary how peoples brains work...or not.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:13 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
During one of the hurricanes in FL, some of folks from the office were talking about the things they had stocked up on. One man was poking fun at a woman for stocking up on microwave popcorn. She had a flash for him - the portion was just the right size to pop over an open fire without the bag. And no, it wasn't me.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:53 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
This couple may one day reproduce. Taking microwave popcorn into the theater as a snack?

I read this to my Dw, and she told me about at her grocery store last winter before a storm folks were coming in and buying a lot of microwave meals. When she asked why folks were not buying the frozen foods, their reasoning was that during a storm they would likely loose electrical power, so their freezers would go down. Therefore they all wanted microwave meals, in case their power went out.

???
they must be related to my xsister inlaw.we all went camping one time befor my brouther and her got hitch'd .and on this camping trip she brought a hair dryer and a curling iron.as she is unpacking them she set them on the tail gate of my truck.i walked over and picked them up and ask'd so where ya gona plug them in. she looked at me like i was the biggest idiot on the planet.looked at my brouther and said after my shower i will show you.we looked at each other and said (shower!!!).so i had to ask have you ever been camping before? yes me and my parents use to drive up to lamoine state park in our motor home and stay for 2 weeks every year.
so i said to my brouther (may i ) and he go's oh ya be my guest.
so i said have a seat we need to talk .now going to lamoine is a nice park but thats not camping.this is real camping no power well unless you want to plug it in to that current bush over there.as far as shower i guess you can stand over there and we can hang a 5 gal bucket full of water and poke holes in it.
so to dry your hair you can sit on that rock in the wind .
she looked right at my brouther and said this is primative we cant camp like this we are leaving .

Old 05-28-2008, 02:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
What would these people do if they had to take everything for a family of four on a 2 week canoe trip? I know what we did; We bought a 20 foot Grumman and the four of us went down the Allagash. I had the only 20 foot Grumman with a carrying yoke. The next time we went in 2 canoes. My sons went down the Allagash at the ages of 6 & 8 in a 15 foot canoe. Of course they had a combined experience level of 14 years. They had spent their entire lives in canoes to that point.

We were camped at the ledges on Umsaskis Lake. It had been raining off and on for 3 days. Within 30 minutes after our canoes hit the beach we had 2 tents up, a tarp over the kitchen area, a kitchen counter and a nice campfire. Two men from the next campsite came over and asked, "How did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Build that fire."

"I didn't. The boys did." They looked at my sons and asked, "Did you boys bring that wood from home?" Adam looked at them like they were from Mars or something.

"No we got it here."

"But it's all wet."

Adam replied, "Mistah, It's all dry on the inside." And he proceeded to split a piece of dead cedar with his hatchet. I asked the boys to go over and build those guys a fire. They were four men from the city. One of my prouder moments in life.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:23 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
Sometimes gene pools really need a good scrubbing with clorox.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:25 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
they must be related to my xsister inlaw.we all went camping one time befor my brouther and her got hitch'd .and on this camping trip she brought a hair dryer and a curling iron.as she is unpacking them she set them on the tail gate of my truck.i walked over and picked them up and ask'd so where ya gona plug them in. she looked at me like i was the biggest idiot on the planet.looked at my brouther and said after my shower i will show you.we looked at each other and said (shower!!!).so i had to ask have you ever been camping before? yes me and my parents use to drive up to lamoine state park in our motor home and stay for 2 weeks every year.
so i said to my brouther (may i ) and he go's oh ya be my guest.
so i said have a seat we need to talk .now going to lamoine is a nice park but thats not camping.this is real camping no power well unless you want to plug it in to that current bush over there.as far as shower i guess you can stand over there and we can hang a 5 gal bucket full of water and poke holes in it.
so to dry your hair you can sit on that rock in the wind .
she looked right at my brouther and said this is primative we cant camp like this we are leaving .
Wow.. lol.
I can get along with out the hair do~ thank goodness for ball caps. But I do enjoy a place to wash up. Was there a stream near by? lol

To Forest~ that was a priceless crime story. I like it. Thanks

Tami~peachie

Old 05-28-2008, 03:27 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

???
It's Maine! don't you all have wood fired microwaves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine