Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,955 times

Advertisements

I am a licensed professional engineer with extensive experience in residential construction and repair, although my license is not in Maine and I don't know if there is reciprocity. I am confident in my and my husband's abilities to do almost everything we need to do. In fact, our work is often better than when we hire someone. I can do the solar design and installation, etc. For an off-grid rural property, what are the state regulations regarding constructing a small cabin, or doing a major DIY remodel on an existing cabin? We will probably also be constructing a small, heated barn on the property and putting up some animal fencing. We do not plan to be in an incorporated area. What about septic/waste management - can you install your own? Installation of water catchment and storage systems? Is Maine "camping" cabin friendly, or is it an administrative hassle? I ask here on the forum because you know, there are documents with regulations or lack of them, and then there is the way it really is. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 11:33 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbphd1 View Post
What are regulations for DIY cabin construction in off grid rural areas of Maine
For most of Maine, [around 52% of the state] the only government authority you contend with is LUPC. They do not care if you are off-grid, or not.

Quote:
... I am confident in my and my husband's abilities to do almost everything we need to do.
I bought bare woodlot land. I hired an electrician to mount a power pole with meter and main breaker panel. I hired a well driller to put in a well and pump. I hired a site-work contractor to build a driveway to my home site.

In the middle of our construction project I hired a crane operator to help me to place some girders.

Otherwise I did our house myself.

Though I feel I kind of cheated. I bought a steel building kit, originally marketed as an airplane hanger. All parts were included, all the holes were predrilled, all bolts nuts washers were included.

It was a lot of fun.

We lived in our home about seven years before I installed solar power.

Quote:
... For an off-grid rural property, what are the state regulations regarding constructing a small cabin, or doing a major DIY remodel on an existing cabin?
In my experience it was very easy.

The building permits are available on-line.

Quote:
... What about septic/waste management - can you install your own?
Yes.

Quote:
... Installation of water catchment and storage systems?
Yes.

Quote:
... Is Maine "camping" cabin friendly, or is it an administrative hassle?
Maine is VERY friendly to this stuff.

If you wish, you are welcome to contact me via PM, we can exchange email address / phone numbers. Come by for a visit, I can give you a farm tour and we can discuss your options at leisure.

Old 04-30-2022, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,955 times
Thank you! Will contact you via email - might take a couple of days, we are getting through final exams in our household at the moment.

Old 04-30-2022, 12:49 PM

10 posts, read 7,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbphd1 View Post
For an off-grid rural property, what are the state regulations regarding constructing a small cabin, or doing a major DIY remodel on an existing cabin?..... What about septic/waste management - can you install your own?

From my experience:

I bought a plot of land in northen Penobscott county. I am going to put a small cabin there to have a place to stay (we are out of state) until we build ourselves (we are both engineers too :-) ) a retirement house/homestead.

There is power near by and we contacted the power cooperative to bring power to a pole (like Submariner did).
They said that to bring power we need construction authorization, they can not do anything without authorization.
We talked with a guy from the county about building permit, and he said that in order for any building permit to be issued we need an approved septic design.
I found a nice guy that do septic deign and permits and I am going to meet with next week to discuss the placement.
I am going to ask as many questions as I can, so hopefully I can rely more info for you shortly.

If you do not need power and your cabin is less than 400 sqf you may not need such hassle. I do not know, but as far as I understood for any septic system you need an approved septic design.

Faber

Old 04-30-2022, 02:55 PM

When I first came to Maine I was living in an RV. I got a permit via LURC [who later become LUPC], a prerequisite for the building permit was a septic system 'design' [not saying that you need to have a septic system, but before a building permit can be issued you need to prove the site can support a septic system in case someone in the future ever decides to install a septic system].

My power pole is located about 40 foot from the pavement, where I park my RV. Later we dug a trench from the power pole another 100-yards to the house site, and ran a phone line and power cable in the trench. One of the Posters on this forum, who used to post frequently, 'Northern Maine Land Man' came by with his backhoe, he dug the trench for me. At that time, I did not have a backhoe.

Keep in mind that outhouses are perfectly legal in Maine.

One septic system engineer I spoke with told me that around 50% of all the inspections he does are for new outhouses.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:36 AM

441 posts, read 439,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I first came to Maine I was living in an RV. I got a permit via LURC [who later become LUPC], a prerequisite for the building permit was a septic system 'design' [not saying that you need to have a septic system, but before a building permit can be issued you need to prove the site can support a septic system in case someone in the future ever decides to install a septic system].

My power pole is located about 40 foot from the pavement, where I park my RV. Later we dug a trench from the power pole another 100-yards to the house site, and ran a phone line and power cable in the trench. One of the Posters on this forum, who used to post frequently, 'Northern Maine Land Man' came by with his backhoe, he dug the trench for me. At that time, I did not have a backhoe.

Keep in mind that outhouses are perfectly legal in Maine.

One septic system engineer I spoke with told me that around 50% of all the inspections he does are for new outhouses.
You answered that question about outhouses.

I have been watching Maine Cabin Masters. It's a DIY show. Anyway when they renovate they always talk about how you can't build a certain distance from the water. That includes adding decks I think.

Submariner you are always so helpful to everyone on this forum.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
You answered that question about outhouses.

I have been watching Maine Cabin Masters. It's a DIY show. Anyway when they renovate they always talk about how you can't build a certain distance from the water. That includes adding decks I think.

Submariner you are always so helpful to everyone on this forum.
Quote:
The Mandatory Shoreland Zoning Act (MSZA) requires municipalities to adopt, administer, and enforce local ordinances that regulate land use activities in the shoreland zone. The shoreland zone is comprised of all land areas within 250 feet, horizontal distance, of the

normal high-water line of any great pond or river;
upland edge of a coastal wetland, including all areas affected by tidal action, and
upland edge of defined freshwater wetlands; and
all land areas within 75 feet, horizontal distance, of the normal high-water line of certain streams.
https://www.maine.gov/dep/land/slz/

Since I have a quarter-mile of riverfrontage, I contend with Shoreland Protection Act on my property.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:55 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,694,145 times
There is talk about increasing the housing in Maine by "relaxing" the setback regulations. Not sure why? Isn't there an overabundance of vacant homes in the state? Many from away want to build near the water so I'm guessing this is the issue.
Not sure I agree with it.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
There is talk about increasing the housing in Maine by "relaxing" the setback regulations. Not sure why? Isn't there an overabundance of vacant homes in the state? Many from away want to build near the water so I'm guessing this is the issue.
Not sure I agree with it.
There is a sense that we have too many homeless people. Some people reason that homelessness would be cured if only we had more houses.

I have twelve apartments and I have leased to former homeless people. From my perspective the problem IS NOT a shortage of housing. They need more social workers, counseling, group homes and mental health treatment stuff. Which would greatly increase our taxes.

Relaxing regulations on new home construction, might increase the number of houses in Maine, and that might increase migration into Maine. I am not convinced if this kind of 'growth' is a good thing.

A Fire Marshall told me [and our insurance underwriter confirmed it] that the 2008 National Building code requires all homes to have fire sprinkler systems. The State of Maine does not recognize the 2008 National Building code. Currently it is up to each municipality individually to adopt the National Building Code, or not. I have been told that within Maine only four cities require a recent version of the National Building Code. All other towns enforce Building Codes that are decades outdated.

I can see a rationale to having municipalities enforcing Building Codes from within the most recent decade, but that would cause a huge increase in the expense of building [or even doing renovations]. If you bought a 50yo house and wanted to add a bedroom, using the current code book would require backfitting sprinklers through-out the house.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:36 AM

441 posts, read 439,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
https://www.maine.gov/dep/land/slz/

Since I have a quarter-mile of river frontage, I contend with Shoreland Protection Act on my property.
I knew you had some frontage. Every time you talk about your property it sounds so nice.

Can you put a dock on the water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine