Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 06:24 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphniesman04 View Post
Thanks for the comments. Obviously employment is huge concern, as well as if I can handle that kind of cold, lol. Where I am, we might get down to 37 degrees if we are lucky and never see snow here. Other concerns are I don't have a 4x4. And covid is a big concern. My family in oakfield seem to think it is worse there for some reason. I have seen alot of fixer homes that don't look too terrible. I love maine, to me, it will always be my home even though I have never lived there.
Judging by the hotspots map I saw a few days ago, Covid is not worse in Maine - actually a little better than most states. 4x4 and AWD are more of a nice-to-have than a must-have. I lived in Rochester, NY for five years - they get serious, lake-effect snow, and I had 2WD. But, I did use winter tires, which I'd highly recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 06:59 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
I think at-home testing is throwing Covid numbers off. Two extended family members and two friends tested positive last week but didn't seek medical care. They won't be counted anywhere.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:12 AM

123 posts, read 108,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I think at-home testing is throwing Covid numbers off. Two extended family members and two friends tested positive last week but didn't seek medical care. They won't be counted anywhere.
That's an excellent overall point. My whole family got sick a few weeks ago (proving no matter how careful you are, illness is just a human condition we have to live with lol) but only our youngest (infant) would likely be the only one counted in the official numbers. Because my wife, myself, and my daughter all took at-home kits. Only our infant went into the pediatrician for an official test.

All in all, it was a very unpleasant 3-4 days. But "mild". Fevers never got above 101, mostly just flu-like symptoms like muscle aches and weakness. Wife and kids (except baby) were all immunized last year. Though dealing with a sick 11mo while sick yourself is a difficult task!

Old 01-20-2022, 07:35 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Yup. Very true.

https://www.pressherald.com/2022/01/...tional-deaths/

Maine CDC overwhelmed by backlog of 46,000 positive COVID-19 tests

The takeaway: The pandemic is making lots of people sick, but we really don't have any accurate idea of exactly how many people.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:13 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
People get sick. 99% recover. Such is life. Let the body work as it was intended. Eat and live healthy. Enjoy Maine and its beauty. All is good.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:33 AM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
Quote:
Very true.

I thought for sure i had it and that both my husband and daughter would also have it. Thankfully my test was negative and my daughter returned to school this week. She missed a couple days last week because of my pending results. There is a chance her school nay go back to remote. How are the schools there in Maine. Some in our metro area are doing remote.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Its Winter people get sick ,or did folks forget that with all the Covid hype.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:41 AM

28 posts, read 28,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Its Winter people get sick ,or did folks forget that with all the Covid hype.
I don't think rational people have forgotten about all of the numerous illnesses that spread during this time of year.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:43 AM

28 posts, read 28,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
Very true.

How are the schools there in Maine. Some in our metro area are doing remote.
I know there's at least a handful in central and north Maine that are doing remote on a temporary basis. Largely its only due to staffing shortages- no bus drivers, no teachers, no lunch ladies...

I can't speak on behalf of southern Maine as unless I am shopping at the outlets, I just consider it part of far northern Massachusetts.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:42 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Maine has had its highest Covid case numbers for many months and omicron is adding to that. It's a state with high vaccination rates but low overall past exposure as of 5-6 months ago so, was primed for more spread of delta and now omicron that for earlier variants. BUT....

It's useless to compare region to region, unless perhaps you are traveling, as it will surge one place then another... kinda like watching a horse race. Like everywhere else, it'll surge and then abate. So I would not make long term life plans based on where it is spreading at the moment.

As for Houlton, and winter, it is up in snow country, as opposed to along the warmer coast, so the comments on winter tires is a good one. You can do a lot in snow with a good set of snow tires, as Outdoor Lover commented. So you can get by with that for some years until you get the opportunity for an AWD or 4WD is you ever think it is necessary.

So OP, where is your spouse from? And did you grow up in NC? (Sounds like you did...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine