Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 06:25 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Growing up in New Jersey I can't recall a single sustained outage. We've definitely entertained the idea of buying a generator here in Maine. But my in-laws live nearby and have a generac so we can just go there for extended outages.
It doesn't sound too bad where you are in Bath, so I can understand that. I've pushed back the date of getting a cottage built on my lot until I retire in about 2&1/2 years, but my current thinking is to get a small (6-8kW) propane standby generator with transfer switch, that will be big enough to run selected circuits like lights, fridge and a pellet stove for backup heating, and leave the circuit(s) feeding the main system of a low temperature minisplit off the backup power. That way I can keep the generator smaller and don't need to store a huge amount of propane - the wood pellets will do the heavy lifting of heating the house when that's actually needed, and a little electricity for the stove is just for the controls and feed auger.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-15-2022 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 11:58 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Here in Maine, electricity is the most expensive way to heat your house.

And, it just got way worse. The PUC approved rate increases for both Versant and CMP. Just last night I did the math- for the same usage at this time last year, I am paying 54% more, that is more than a $100/mo increase just slapped on me.

This increase makes the expense of installing solar and wind more feasible, and then I'll give CMP the finger for good.

----------------------------------------------------

I turned off my oil-fired FHA furnace in 2008, looking at the controls while I was fixing a septic clog recently, it probably wouldn't even fire now. My primary heat is an England Stove Works 25 PDVC pellet stove, with a wood stove (Jotul F500) and a wood/coal stove (Glenwood Oak No. 14) to supplement and as back-up.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:29 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
And, it just got way worse. The PUC approved rate increases for both Versant and CMP. Just last night I did the math- for the same usage at this time last year, I am paying 54% more, that is more than a $100/mo increase just slapped on me.

This increase makes the expense of installing solar and wind more feasible, and then I'll give CMP the finger for good.

----------------------------------------------------

I turned off my oil-fired FHA furnace in 2008, looking at the controls while I was fixing a septic clog recently, it probably wouldn't even fire now. My primary heat is an England Stove Works 25 PDVC pellet stove, with a wood stove (Jotul F500) and a wood/coal stove (Glenwood Oak No. 14) to supplement and as back-up.
Good for you on all the conversion. I have a pellet stove, but it can't heat my whole house in the coldest weather. My wood stove can do it, but I'll be lugging a lot of wood. While it's real cold, I still relie on the hot air furnace. Maybe next week, back to pellets.

Old 02-16-2022, 04:53 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
I have been looking around for info on multiple propane tank setups, and came across this photo below, which I liked. It looks like they've got 4 tanks, each connected to a central manifold with its own inlet valve near those rubber hose connectors, then a pressure regulator in the center and an outlet valve that serves as a single shutoff for propane going into the house.

The thing I liked about this setup, is that it's simple and yet it looks like it gives a lot of flexibility in how you manage the drawdown. My understanding is that you can draw down all 4 cyilnders at the same time with the 4 inlet valves open as shown, making them act like one big tank. Or, you could really monitor things closely, by having only one open at a time and when that's empty, close it off and open the next one in line. Or, you could have 3-of-4 open for convenience, and when they're empty, switch to your last tank and think about ordering more propane.

Image from: https://www.kauffmangas.com/blog/res...tank-you-need/

Old 02-16-2022, 05:00 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I have been looking around for info on multiple propane tank setups, and came across this photo below, which I liked. It looks like they've got 4 tanks, each connected to a central manifold with its own inlet valve near those rubber hose connectors, then a pressure regulator in the center and an outlet valve that serves as a single shutoff for propane going into the house.

The thing I liked about this setup, is that it's simple and yet it looks like it gives a lot of flexibility in how you manage the drawdown. My understanding is that you can draw down all 4 cyilnders at the same time with the 4 inlet valves open as shown, making them act like one big tank. Or, you could really monitor things closely, by having only one open at a time and when that's empty, close it off and open the next one in line. Or, you could have 3-of-4 open for convenience, and when they're empty, switch to your last tank and think about ordering more propane.
We have two large LPG tanks side-by-side with a manifold. I was told that we had to provide a roof over them to prevent ice falling on them and damaging the tubing.

We have a LPG truck that comes by monthly to top them off.

I am free to only use one tank, or the other, at will. Or to keep both online, if I want. Nobody cares.

We use LPG for kitchen range/oven and for clothes dryer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine