Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 8,239 times

Advertisements

Hello people of Maine,
I've been back and forth about what state I would want to start a move towards, and it seems as though Maine may be the place for me (or not).
I currently live in Long Island NY. I'm not crazy about to say the least. I used to live in Upstate NY, which was more my kind of layout. What I'm looking for is a place that I could purchase for a vacation home that I would eventually move to in some years to come. I like the sounds of the Sanford and the Portland area. Just not sure of how open minded people are in these parts about out of towners. Any suggestions will help. Thanks John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
John, I moved to maine last month....(not a long track record)....I do have Maine connections.....but I am "from away". I have found people to be super friendly and helpful; of course I live in southern maine and there are lots of folks "from away"..and I have family here..but even the old yankees seem glad to meet us and are friendly.

I have heard all the stories of the cummudgeons and in the forum every once in awhile you will read a rant about how the new comers are ruining the state bringing their liberal views and citified ways with them. Some folks feel we have to earn acceptance and wrap themselves in Maine as if they had exclusivity...and others had to be something other than who they naturally are to be accepted. It used to bother me....now I just take it as I do the black flies.....an annoyance but nothing to ruin my day.

I have found Maine to be everything I had hoped for; I love it here in Gorham; Maine is a huge state and takes in all kinds....rich and poor, educated and uneducated, local and traveled, exotic and common. Diversity is one of the things I like about Maine.

I would suggest that you not dwell on the "acceptance" thing. Be friendly, be considerate, be yourself and don't let others "program" you and don't attempt to "program" others.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythefarm View Post
Hello people of Maine,
I've been back and forth about what state I would want to start a move towards, and it seems as though Maine may be the place for me (or not).
I currently live in Long Island NY. I'm not crazy about to say the least. I used to live in Upstate NY, which was more my kind of layout. What I'm looking for is a place that I could purchase for a vacation home that I would eventually move to in some years to come. I like the sounds of the Sanford and the Portland area. Just not sure of how open minded people are in these parts about out of towners. Any suggestions will help. Thanks John
for the most part most of maine is open minded.as for portland i dont know i try to stay away from the big citys.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:48 PM

278 posts, read 700,009 times
Hi John - I think you have to decide initially whether you are going to be a hick, a Mainer, or, what the hell, a person from away.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:17 PM

18 posts, read 40,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythefarm View Post
Hello people of Maine,
I myself don't live in Portland but have been there often.From my observation there seems to be a mix all different people,races etc. So with
that most likly they would be open minded to whom ever lives there.
Flower girl

Old 05-16-2008, 08:37 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
John, I moved to maine last month....(not a long track record)....I do have Maine connections.....but I am "from away". I have found people to be super friendly and helpful; of course I live in southern maine and there are lots of folks "from away"..and I have family here..but even the old yankees seem glad to meet us and are friendly.

I have heard all the stories of the cummudgeons and in the forum every once in awhile you will read a rant about how the new comers are ruining the state bringing their liberal views and citified ways with them. Some folks feel we have to earn acceptance and wrap themselves in Maine as if they had exclusivity...and others had to be something other than who they naturally are to be accepted. It used to bother me....now I just take it as I do the black flies.....an annoyance but nothing to ruin my day.

I have found Maine to be everything I had hoped for; I love it here in Gorham; Maine is a huge state and takes in all kinds....rich and poor, educated and uneducated, local and traveled, exotic and common. Diversity is one of the things I like about Maine.

I would suggest that you not dwell on the "acceptance" thing. Be friendly, be considerate, be yourself and don't let others "program" you and don't attempt to "program" others.
Well said, my friend. We are united.

The stories are false, we welcome everyone! C'mon in, sit a spell- take your shoes off....relax... we're all really friendly...
Welcome!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
The stories are false, we welcome everyone! C'mon in, sit a spell- take your shoes off....relax... we're all really friendly...
Welcome!
Speak for yourself!

Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Portland area is "open minded."

As long as you think "Their" way!

Old 05-17-2008, 05:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Welcome, John, flowergirl, and Labamba!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:15 PM

278 posts, read 700,009 times
Thank you, dramamama6685.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine