Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 05:37 PM

8 posts, read 17,917 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody and Happy Easter!

I have posted on Delaware forum couple months ago. Got few good responses and quickly decided that DE is not my piece of cake.
I am now looking at Maine. If God willing and creek don't rise, I' will be moving here with my mother.

I am not scared of mobile homes and open to any suggestions about the area I can rent one of them.

Second, my mother will need some medical attention so it has to be close to hospital.

One of the biggest concern is job market. I have applied for few positions in Maine. Came to conclusion, that employers will not hire someone who lives on the other side of the country.
I am scared to make this move without solid work offer.

I have read other people's posts with the same questions / concerns... I really like Bath, Rockland and Camden.
York looks really good but I am not sure if I can afford it.

The other big concern is that we will not be welcome in Maine as Eastern Europeans ( My English is very good, but I still have accent after living in Idaho for over 15 years).

I appreciate any advice I can get!

thank you so much,
Pacifico70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 04:11 AM

3,539 posts, read 2,883,065 times
Your chances of finding a affordable house or mobile in those areas are very slim if not down right impossible right now. Your best bet is Bangor or Lewiston, and even there apartments have waiting list hundreds long, and without a job or very large down payment it's not gonna happen.
Wealthy retirees are having a hard time buying right now, it's just not a good time to move here sorry to say.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:08 AM

12,729 posts, read 9,941,220 times
York is pretty, but the southern coast is the most expensive region of Maine. Midcoast is less expensive and I think it's prettier as well. Bath is a relative bargain midcoast, plus there is some economic activity in Bath, Brunswick, Topsham and Freeport, and there's a fairly good hospital on the east end of Brunswick - near Bath. Bangor is another good option - housing is a relative bargain there, one of the biggest hospitals in the state is located there, and good economic activity.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-05-2021 at 07:43 AM..

Old 04-05-2021, 09:08 AM

37,667 posts, read 61,759,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico70 View Post
One of the biggest concern is job market. I have applied for few positions in Maine. Came to conclusion, that employers will not hire someone who lives on the other side of the country.
I am scared to make this move without solid work offer.
That is smart.

I need to be in Maine when you apply for jobs in Maine.

I recommend that you move by yourself first, get a job and then later bring your mother out.

Good luck

"If God willing and creek don't rise"

Did you learn that phrase in Idaho?

That is typically a Southern phrase, my parents used that phrase a lot.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 17,917 times
Default Thank you for responses

roadrat, OutdoorLover and Submariner!

Thank you for your replies. I will look and Bath and Bangor.
I realize that such a move across the country will cost a lot of money.

...I will keep knocking on the door, and hopefully it will open

P.S. To Submariner: I learn that from my ex, who was born and raised in Arizona.

Thanks again,
Pacifico70

Old 04-05-2021, 11:11 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,819,393 times
The phrase is “if the Creeks don’t rise”, which is a reference to the Southern Creek Indian tribe of Alabama, who were very resistant to white invasion of their home land in south Alabama. See “Fort Mims Massacre” and “Andrew Johnson” for more relevant info.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:45 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,796,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico70 View Post
Hello everybody and Happy Easter!

The other big concern is that we will not be welcome in Maine as Eastern Europeans ( My English is very good, but I still have accent after living in Idaho for over 15 years).

I don't feel that this is an issue over here

Old 04-06-2021, 09:01 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,744,914 times
Mainers live and let live. More than any other state I've been to. In my opinion. You'll be fine.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:25 AM

7,559 posts, read 4,297,712 times
Awhile ago, I looked up Orthodox Churches in Maine. There are quite a few so I surmised that there must be Eastern Europeans in Maine. Where there are Eastern Europeans, there must be a good supply of true rye bread. (It's sadly lacking in Virginia)

I agree about Delaware. It's the ugliest state in the Union.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:10 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,921,942 times
The version I heard many years ago from a West Virginian was "Lord willing and the creek don't rise." I think regional adaptations from the original are acceptable.

To the OP i don't think your accent is going to be a problem for Mainers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine