Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 08:53 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times

Advertisements

All 16 counties are now open for normal education. Students can be picked up by the bus and go to school, five days a week. It may take a few schools time to get back up to speed. There are some parents who really like remote learning because they got to see what the kids are actually taught. I expect that there may be more public attendance at school board meetings, which should be interesting.

Our district is going to continue remote learnng for a while until remote learning is turned off. Most schools will keep their expensive plexiglas in case there is a second round of covid among those not vaccinated. Eventually, there is going to be a huge yard sale of plexiglas.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 03-01-2021 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 09:40 AM

978 posts, read 675,432 times
Great news. Hopefully other states will follow

Old 03-01-2021, 02:49 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
That's great news. I hope they're able to stay the rest of the school year and have enjoy their proms, year-end activities and graduations.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:42 AM

441 posts, read 440,210 times
Our schools will be opening for the last quarter which is in April. My daughter is very excited about this.

Are they opening all at once? Ours is gradual meaning first the elementary kids then middle school and high school and option schools last (April 19). My daughter is a freshman.

I am sure there are many logistics considering how large the district is for us. It will be hybrid meaning two days online and two days in classroom. On Wed they have one advisory class which will be online.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:53 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Every district is opening as thy have staff ready. We expect about 1/4 of our students to continue distance learning. Our classrooms are equipped with "owl cameras". The camera looks like an owl and when somebody speaks, the owl turns and focuses on that person. Parents who have laptops for one child at home and others in the classroom have been able to see who is talking in the classroom. Very interesting.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:44 AM

123 posts, read 108,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Every district is opening as thy have staff ready. We expect about 1/4 of our students to continue distance learning. Our classrooms are equipped with "owl cameras". The camera looks like an owl and when somebody speaks, the owl turns and focuses on that person. Parents who have laptops for one child at home and others in the classroom have been able to see who is talking in the classroom. Very interesting.
That is pretty neat.

We've started opening up schools down here in MD. My daughter will remain virtual. At first I was going to send her back to the hybrid-model (2 days in-person), but when they released the details, it did not make any sense. Classes will only have like 6-8 students, all separated with plexiglass and 10+ feet, and the cafeteria will be separated as well in the same manner as the classrooms. I found no value in returning to that environment. The main motivation for me in returning my child to class is the personal interaction. Hopefully this fall will have a better environment.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:54 PM

1,044 posts, read 687,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Are you being serious? That sounds downright awful and I'd hate to be a teacher in such a classroom.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:42 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Are you being serious? That sounds downright awful and I'd hate to be a teacher in such a classroom.
Yes, serious. Most of our schools have been open most of the time since after Christmas break. When necessary, some kids are home. Maine teachers are dedicated and doing all they can to continue working with the kids. It's temporary.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:21 AM

901 posts, read 686,016 times
My granddaughter goes to school in Portland and she still goes only two days a week, with a remote day--the class is still split in two and they do not go every day to the school. So this is a little different.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:17 AM

441 posts, read 440,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBruiser View Post
That is pretty neat.

We've started opening up schools down here in MD. My daughter will remain virtual. At first I was going to send her back to the hybrid-model (2 days in-person), but when they released the details, it did not make any sense. Classes will only have like 6-8 students, all separated with plexiglass and 10+ feet, and the cafeteria will be separated as well in the same manner as the classrooms. I found no value in returning to that environment. The main motivation for me in returning my child to class is the personal interaction. Hopefully this fall will have a better environment.
That sound horrific. If ours schools were doing that our daughter would be staying home too. Have to stay positive and look forward to curtailing this pandemic so maybe the kids can all go back to school in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: