Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times

Advertisements

Hey Jj, Jump right in here and tell about Subaru Foresters and St. Bernards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 07:02 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Hey Jj, Jump right in here and tell about Subaru Foresters and St. Bernards.
<g> be glad to! We have only one Saint (a small, 108 lb female) and no teen girls in the house (though I am a mom of 5 daughters) but yeah, I love our Forester, too... it is a newer model, bought used in NC. We brought it up here March 1 with it's "wimpy, somewhat used southern tires" even though someone said "prepare to get stuck" we haven't... and we have been on some "Subaru roads" as we call them now... that for sure took advantage of the all-wheel drive. We get better mileage, consistently, than what Subaru says to expect and we love the rubber mat ours has in the back, which is where Brandi rides.

There would be room enough for 2 friendly dogs in the back, the kids and mom and dad in the seats and if you need a place for "stuff" get one of the carriers for on top or tow a small trailer. I do not believe in having more car than you need on an everyday basis just 'cause you sometimes could use it... especially not these days.

You will have lots of company.. many times in Bangor, pulled up to a light, we are surrounded by Subaru cars, mostly Foresters and an Outback for good measure. We call the Forester "Maine's unofficial state car"

We bought a Forester after reading lots of comments here on this forum!

Last edited by starwalker; 05-05-2008 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: adding a thought

Old 05-06-2008, 02:58 PM

103 posts, read 620,938 times
Thanks so much for the posts. We sure are reconsidering leasing now. Actually the Subaru Forester is one we were considering. The Saint Bernards can squeeze in the back--probably. They would not be in the car everytime we are anyway but they do love to go for rides.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:02 PM

103 posts, read 620,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
<g> be glad to! We have only one Saint (a small, 108 lb female) and no teen girls in the house (though I am a mom of 5 daughters) but yeah, I love our Forester, too... it is a newer model, bought used in NC. We brought it up here March 1 with it's "wimpy, somewhat used southern tires" even though someone said "prepare to get stuck" we haven't... and we have been on some "Subaru roads" as we call them now... that for sure took advantage of the all-wheel drive. We get better mileage, consistently, than what Subaru says to expect and we love the rubber mat ours has in the back, which is where Brandi rides.

There would be room enough for 2 friendly dogs in the back, the kids and mom and dad in the seats and if you need a place for "stuff" get one of the carriers for on top or tow a small trailer. I do not believe in having more car than you need on an everyday basis just 'cause you sometimes could use it... especially not these days.

You will have lots of company.. many times in Bangor, pulled up to a light, we are surrounded by Subaru cars, mostly Foresters and an Outback for good measure. We call the Forester "Maine's unofficial state car"

We bought a Forester after reading lots of comments here on this forum!
I have never seen a Saint Bernard this size. She sounds like a great girl.

Subaru looks like it would be a good choice. We will test drive a few others but from what I have researched, this is a very nice vehicle. I would assume it is good in the winter.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:02 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
It is outstanding in the winter. It is also extremely safe. I have a friend who hit a moose with one. She then went off the road and hit a large boulder. The cabin was intact. The Subaru was totaled, bit it did its job. The driver got a broken ankle.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME-Evergreen View Post
I have never seen a Saint Bernard this size. She sounds like a great girl.

Subaru looks like it would be a good choice. We will test drive a few others but from what I have researched, this is a very nice vehicle. I would assume it is good in the winter.
The first time I drove ours (also the first time I had driven anything all-wheel drive) I took it from NC to KS to pick up K from his kids house. I ended up driving through St. Louis, at night, the night of their HUGE snowstorm. The car traffic dwindled until it was just me and the semis; I passed the semis and then, tired of going at snail pace, passed the plow and forged on ahead. This with "southern city tires" and little experience. It just stuck to the road. We've been able to make the thing have to work a bit on the ice, but nothing even close to coming out of control. I love that car!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:22 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,845 times
We have leased cars and we have purchased cars. The advantage to leasing vs buying, is you can get more car for about the same price. Of course, the disadvantage being that after you make payment for four years (or however), then you turn the car in and have nothing to show for it. The car(s) we have now were both financed. Nice thing about my car is I got 0% financing, so it's been paid for a couple of years now. In January, we will own the Jeep. SO, my recommendation is buy the car AND if you have to finance it, try and get a 0% financing deal. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,883 times
You might want to consider buying a used rental car from one of the national rental car agencies. You get a complete maintenance record. The mileage on rental cars averages about 12K for a 1 year old and 25K for a two year old car. All rental cars are equipped with the most desired equipment. Any damage to the car is noted in the auto's record. They refurbish the cars before they are sold. I have purchased 3 over the years, and I always came out great. You are never upside down when you buy one of these. Put a small down payment, and finance for 3-4 years. Every car I sold I actually drove the car for next to nothing, and had a substantial positive cash value when I traded it in. The first year of a cars life is when they depreciate the most, and the second year is next. If you finance for 5 years (ouch), after the 3rd year the depreciation slows considerably. The national rental agencies usually have a preferred finance agreement with a local bank. In my experience I beat the walk in bank interest rate with their preferred lender rate. I have leased also, and the mileage can kill you, unless you trade the lease car when you know your mileage is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY over. People don't realize that you can financially trade a lease car after about 50% of the lease is up. It is far cheaper to trade than to pay the mileage overages.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
Jeff Foxworthy said "Buying a used rental car is like shopping for a wife in a house of ill repute" "So many people have driven that thing so hard, you wouldn't want to put your key in it!"

Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Jeff Foxworthy said "Buying a used rental car is like shopping for a wife in a house of ill repute" "So many people have driven that thing so hard, you wouldn't want to put your key in it!"
And it has gotten more air-time than a concord jet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine