Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 01:58 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
For January - the median sales price statewide was $292,250 - a 14.5% increase over January 2021. Number of home sales dropped 7.2% from January of 2021, reflecting the shortage of homes available for purchase.
Thank you for the info. I'm going to pass it on to my daughter and son-in-law as they're going to start house hunting in the spring. They fell into the myth that young people can't make a living in Maine and moved to Boston. They're coming home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 12:16 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
When home prices increase and people are buying, it's great news for sellers. It's not great news for people who want to buy but can't afford the higher prices or can't afford to participate in paying above the asking price--a bidding war of sorts.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
When home prices increase and people are buying, it's great news for sellers. It's not great news for people who want to buy but can't afford the higher prices or can't afford to participate in paying above the asking price--a bidding war of sorts.
Absolutely true and interest rates have gone up a full 100 basis points in a very short time, which has pushed the normal spring market to now.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:04 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I am on the email mailing list of a realtor I used as a buyer's agent earlier. He writes:

"The real estate market is shifting but maintains historically high levels by many measures. Some of the insatiable demand for Maine real estate has been satisfied and therefore subsided, which has led to fewer multiple-buyer and multiple-offer situations that were so common last year. In addition, the high levels of appreciation seen in the previous few years seem to be flattening, leading to buyers, on average, paying a lower percentage over the asking price."

Sounds like things have calmed down a little bit but they certainly haven't returned to "normal", or, what was normal say 3 years ago anyway.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:57 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am on the email mailing list of a realtor I used as a buyer's agent earlier. He writes:

"The real estate market is shifting but maintains historically high levels by many measures. Some of the insatiable demand for Maine real estate has been satisfied and therefore subsided, which has led to fewer multiple-buyer and multiple-offer situations that were so common last year. In addition, the high levels of appreciation seen in the previous few years seem to be flattening, leading to buyers, on average, paying a lower percentage over the asking price."

Sounds like things have calmed down a little bit but they certainly haven't returned to "normal", or, what was normal say 3 years ago anyway.
I just had a buyer lose out on a split level in Saco listed at $350,000 with an inspection report provided. There were 18 offers and they will continue to look. Perhaps he reports of the seller's market's death are greatly exaggerated.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:44 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I just had a buyer lose out on a split level in Saco listed at $350,000 with an inspection report provided. There were 18 offers and they will continue to look. Perhaps he reports of the seller's market's death are greatly exaggerated.
I'd imagine anything from the state border to Bar Harbor along the coast will stay hot for awhile.

Old 08-19-2022, 12:44 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Banks were scrambling to keep their shares of the mortgage business. Then they realized that having the cash flow from a 1.5% mortgage ten or twenty years from now might not be a good idea. Poof! the sudden 1.5% mortgage market is GONE! With fuel and food prices skyrocketing, home buyers must buy lower priced homes.

In 1978 I wanted to buy a home. Mortgage interest was 18.5%. I could not afford that so my employer lent me the money and I made payments to them. In 1983 we came home to Maine. I paid cash for my 1885 home on 107 acres.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:32 AM

Welp, with the Fed raising interest rates significantly to get price inflation under control, the housing market is cooling. Nationally at least, prices have begun to fall, and houses are sitting on the market longer on average. Many experts think these effects will continue at least through the end of this year, with some predicting that a big drop in prices is coming.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...-no-recession/

Old 10-24-2022, 10:55 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
"Number of Maine Homes Sold Was Up 22.78%, Home Values Up 19.56%!"

This is true, but let's look at the meanings. A lot of people had to sell their homes because they could no longer afford the food, fuel, utilities and expenses. For many, this situation came about by actual Covid illness or Covid regulations.

Many individual home values fell, but overall sale prices grew as desperate families with cash fled cities where they were not safe. Economists always ask why when encountering unusual statistics.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:18 AM

The Fed has raised rates to cut price inflation, and the commercial banks have followed. The bad news for buyers is that mortgage rates have been rolled back up to where they were 20 years ago. The good news for buyers is that the runup in home prices has stopped, and they are beginning to recede. The people who benefit most are those who don't need a mortgage - like many retired people buying their last house. The graph below was taken from redfin.com:
https://www.redfin.com/state/Maine/housing-market

The peak in median home price was in June of this year.

Attached Thumbnails
Stunning Gains in September - Number of Maine Homes Sold Was Up 22.78%, Home Values Up 19.56%!-maine_homepricegraph_oct-2022.jpg  

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 10-26-2022 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine