Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 11:36 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times

Advertisements

I've never lived with baseboard heat before. I always had radiators with steam heat wherever I've lived. Now that I'm in Maine, baseboard heat is what I've got in my apartment. The heaters are along all perimeter (exterior) walls in every room. I believe it's electric, but not sure (how can I tell?).

I asked one of my neighbors how close to the heaters I can have my furniture, curtains, or extension cords, and she seemed to shrug and say it was no big deal and not to worry about it. But I'm keeping my thermostat turned down until I know for sure. Any advice?

Last edited by citychik; 09-20-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 01:52 PM

12,367 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
I've never lived with baseboard heat before. I always had radiators with steam heat wherever I've lived. Now that I'm in Maine, baseboard heat is what I've got in my apartment. The heaters are along all perimeter (exterior) walls in every room. I believe it's electric, but not sure (how can I tell?).

I asked one of my neighbors how close to the heaters I can have my furniture, curtains, or extension cords, and she seemed to shrug and say it was no big deal and not to worry about it. But I'm keeping my thermostat turned down until I know for sure. Any advice?
If it's hot water, and you look closely at the radiators, you should be able to see the piping, typically 1/2in copper pipe as I recall, leading into the radiator at one end and back out at the other... and if there's a slot to look into, you'll see a bunch of parallel aluminum fins inside mounted on the copper pipe, roughly the size of a playing card. You can always ask the landlord if you can't tell for sure.

Hot water is very safe re fire hazard, but you need to provide good clearance for electric baseboard which gets hotter.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-20-2020 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-20-2020, 01:57 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:

https://www.thespruce.com/electric-b...erview-1821912

Quote:
Most baseboard heaters need at least 12 inches between the heater unit and any combustible material, such as drapes or furniture.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If it's hot water, and you look closely at the radiators, you should be able to see the piping, typically 1/2in copper pipe as I recall, leading into the radiator at one end and back out at the other... and if there's a slot to look into, you'll see a bunch of parallel aluminum fins inside mounted on the copper pipe, roughly the size of a playing card.
Oh! Thanks very much for your description! Mine appear to be hot water heaters, then. There are pipes and fins.

Here is a picture of the pipe in my BR closet that leads to the heater on the other side of the wall:

And this is the heater on the other side of the wall, connected to that pipe:

Here I can see the pipe connection from one room to another:

And fins:

Quote:
Hot water is very safe re fire hazard, but you need to provide good clearance for electric baseboard which gets hotter.
If these are hot water pipes (do you agree?) then they're not much different from steam radiators, which I'm used to. Whew! I'm relieved.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:02 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Quote:
If these are hot water pipes (do you agree?) then they're not much different from steam radiators, which I'm used to. Whew! I'm relieved.

Yes, that is forced hot water baseboard heat, very similar to steam radiators.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Yes, that is forced hot water baseboard heat, very similar to steam radiators.
Thanks a bunch for confirming, gf2020!

Old 09-21-2020, 05:01 PM

12,367 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Yep, you've got the good stuff :-) Hot water is definitely safer and provides lower heating bills too.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Yep, you've got the good stuff :-) Hot water is definitely safer and provides lower heating bills too.
My heat is included in the rent, so I won't receive bills for that - it's the safety factor that has me relieved. The fact that the heaters are along quite a lot of walls would make it rather difficult to avoid placing furniture near them. So I'm super glad it's safe to do so, and now it makes sense that my neighbor was blasé about it.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:30 AM

208 posts, read 210,129 times
Had baseboard (hot water) heat off of a boiler in the last house that I owned. Yep, it is completely safe. All of your combustion is in your boiler, which is probably located in the basement, and is generally fuel oil or gas/propane (not so common).

Old 09-27-2020, 02:35 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
The really nice thing about hot water heat is it doesn't dry out the air. Forced air heat is extremely dry and hard on the sinuses and skin. Hot water heat is much healthier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine