Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 09:30 PM

846 posts, read 1,021,137 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a reputable siding contractor that will work in Washington county?
Thanks,
Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 07:34 AM

I didn't think there were any. Not many reliable contractors of any sort in Washington county.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:32 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,959 times
Do you have a large re-siding project? If so, you might structure the project where you buy the materials and might save a bit of $$. Find out if there are any large locally/regionally owned lumber stores near your area of interest (not the big nationwide chain box stores), and find out who their lead outside sales guys/gals are, and then speak to those lead outside sales people. They will usually know the local contractors, and will tend to recommend or hook you up with the better contractors (especially if you will buy the materials from them); they don't like their reputations hurt by recommending the poorer ones.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:14 PM

Very good suggestion. Thank you. Hammond's is in Calais now.

I've been burned so many times by "local carpenters" around here that I had to have my buddy who is a contractor from North Carolina come up and help me finish up a job started by a fellow that told me, "sorry-I have to leave your job because some local person needs me to help them." I guess me living there 4 years meant I wasn't local. I've had alcoholics that said my dog bit them and demanded money from me, I found items missing from my home when workmen left. I always pay on time and never have short changed anyone, I now wish I went to trade school instead of wasting 9 years at university :-) I had a guy clear a very small piece of land in order to erect a garage charge me 18,000 dollars, and he messed up the drainage on my property and made the water flow directly into my basement. He never really finished the job, came in the middle of the night and removed his equipment. Since I had a large amount of firewood stolen from me this year I have toyed seriously with peeing on the fire and calling in the dogs and staying in North Carolina as I still own a home there. My warning to anyone wishing to move to this part of Maine is unless you have a turnkey property or are skilled at carpentry DON'T. You will be taken advantage of if you are not born there. I have employed an excellent plumber, electrical contractor, and a guy to fix the mess the bulldozer created but have not had luck with carpenters. I can do rudimentary stuff, and I am not afraid of hard work as I grew up on a farm however major construction is just not something I am good at, and I lump siding into that category.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:25 PM

That's quite a set of bad outcomes, but you are finding some quality folks too so that is a good sign. Well, I hope someone can help you get 'hooked up' with a reliable and capable individual. I do the same as you have done with your NC buddy, with a VA carpenter (who we sub for our main business) being my go-to guy for help at our Outer Banks NC place.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:52 PM

489 posts, read 1,211,685 times
Kiwi - DIY. YouTube will show you how to do it.
A few years ago I installed vinyl siding on my detached garage 30'x48'. I actually built the garage. Had help with concrete and raising the walls, and truss placement, but that was about it. Looking back, I think the siding was maybe the easiest part.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:51 AM

nm9stheham: I am sure there are many shysters operating in the 'Banks. The good guys in Maine are the best. The work they preform is perfect. It's just the clowns, scammers and rip off artists sour a person's spirit.

SportFury59: I am doing that with a lot more of stuff Sport Fury59. It is an amazing source of information. watching it is a great way to spend an inclement weather day.

I am branching out and looking around in Machais /Ellsworth and Bangor. In the Blue Ridge Mountains where I come from, people who do bad work do not last long. I do know there is a bias towards "Flatlanders" from the city but not in as far as unfinished work and the like. Hillbilly's talk smack about city people however know where the money for keeping the doors open comes from. There is no attempt to drive them away. it is unfortunate to see groups of homes up on a Ridgeline where you hunted and fished. It is accepted as the price a community pays for survival in an economically distressed area. I don't think that has sunk in with the carpenters I'm speaking of.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:13 AM

Oh, it seems to work like that all over. Work in a factory like I did for a bit and there are those who are conscientious and hard working and those who shirk and don't mind in the least being a burden on their fellow-workers. Same applies in the office too; there are always a few who will not pull their weight.

I always tell my son that the slackers and deadwood are the first out the door when times get hard.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Yeah this is a problem all over Maine and elsewhere. But from what I gather, it's less of an anti-outsider thing than just a matter of nobody wants to work anymore. The few good contractors are so booked out, that they don't even bother answering the phone (they don't have to). In my next life I will be a carpenter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine