Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:58 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The family set up a fund for the support of the "worthy women" of Eastport.
The fund has never been tapped!! (this is a joke)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
har har har

Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
We had a LOT of home made apple pies, apple crisp and baked apples. Gee, I had not thought of baked apples in forever.
We also grew up having lots of chokecherry jelly.
I have a pan of apple crisp (my family calls it "apple goodie") in the oven right now; we were gifted with a bag of apples today! Thanks, KAF!!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
Yummy! A little vanilla ice cream on top please

Old 05-01-2008, 05:08 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
ahem!

Elston I didn't know that about the fund

Old 05-01-2008, 05:48 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
ahem!

Elston I didn't know that about the fund
I only know from what my father told me when he was a pastor in Eastport.

He said the endowment was given to the city particularly to assist "needy and worthy" women. I believe that was in the pre AFDC era....the funds have since been used to reduce the cities non refundable welfare expenses. I am only repeating what I was told....I am no expert in Eastport's history or budgets.

Back in those days the term "worthy poor" was commonly used, as there was the stigma that poverty was more often due to individual moral flaws rather than to larger societal issues, thus the distinction between "worthy" and "unworthy" poor.

Last edited by elston; 05-01-2008 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: to add disclaimer

Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
Quote:

Back in those days the term "worthy poor" was commonly used, as there was the stigma that poverty was more often due to individual moral flaws rather than to larger societal issues, thus the distinction between "worthy" and "unworthy" poor.
Though it would likely get you sued these days, methinks the changes have only been in the use of words, not in the underlying factors, between then and now. I can honestly say I know folks that fit both descriptions. There have always been lazy leeches looking for a sucker and a handout as well as those who try hard, do good and still can't get their heads above water without a spot of help.

Or at least that is what I have seen...

Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 AM

230 posts, read 875,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
When I waited tables as a teenager we loved it when tourists ordered lobster because they only ate the claws and the tail - sometimes not even the tail - and Mainers know that the best part is the body and the feelers.
I LUUUVV lobster and my friends would always kid me because long after everyone else had finished theirs, I would still be working on every nook and cranny. Except I could never get used to the tomalley or roe. When you say "feelers" you mean the legs, right?

When I was little and we camped on my dad's land in Ellsworth, I can remember asking my dad why we worked so hard digging clams, when there were millions of them covering the rocks! (They were actually mussels!) He called them "trash food" and said they were not good. 20 years later, working in a French restaurant, I was plating them up at $12 a pop (as an appetizer). My mom used to buy beach plum jam for breakfast. My grandfather used to eat crumbled common crackers with milk, and sometimes popcorn with milk and sugar. And my mom loved that brown bread and Indian pudding, but I could never get used to it. I just wanted a crabapple sprinkled with salt. Oh boy, has anyone mentioned Goldenrod Taffy?!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:43 PM

307 posts, read 1,590,009 times
Default bought some Canadian sardines

Quote:
When my Mom and Dad moved to Eastport; we went to a resturant in the old sardine canning factory "The Cannery"; turns out our very own Molly Smiles worked there as a young lass at about the same time. Small World.

A major benefactor of the town was the heir of the family that made their fortune because they owned the recipe for the mustard sauce used by the sardine factory. The family set up a fund for the support of the "worthy women" of Eastport.
Of all the things I went to buy sardines today for my son Paul and low and behold the Bar Harbor can says that they are imported from CANADA. My great grandfather must be rolling in his grave! Actually it is herring from Bar Harbor brand, but I also bought sardines and they are from Morocco and other places.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:47 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Though it would likely get you sued these days, methinks the changes have only been in the use of words, not in the underlying factors, between then and now. I can honestly say I know folks that fit both descriptions. There have always been lazy leeches looking for a sucker and a handout as well as those who try hard, do good and still can't get their heads above water without a spot of help.

Or at least that is what I have seen...
me too star!

Elston thanks for the great information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine