Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Well, here in Maine, we grew up on fried bologna, boiled dinner, hotdogs, beans, and macaroni scallop, steamers in the summer that we dug. Honestly I am not sure what would be all maine in my house, but I remember making a mean PBJ for all the neighbor kids on Saturday's and a container of "oh yeah koolaid".

Tami~peachie
Macaroni Scallop? is that like mac and cheese the real way (box not included?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:55 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,581,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
must be thing for colder climate, to keep the house warm. living close to equator most of my life, we tend to keep the cooking with heat as quick as posible to minimize heat up the house. will have to learn how to do boiled dinner when move to Maine.
Nice try!

I think that the early New England cooking came from the old country, with adaptations to the New World. Early settling was labor intensive and diets relied heavily on carb loading and energy from protein and fats.

Sugar was scarce. Preserved meats (corned beef, salted cod, etc,) and hearty root vegetables that would survive the long periods between growing seasons, were the staples.

The tradition of Beans and Brown Bread on Saturdays carries over from the Puritans. It was a dish that could be eaten as left overs, with minimal preparation on the Sabbath, as most labor was discouraged on that day.

The paintings you see of settlers in their Pilgrim garb, heading to the Meeting House with musket in hand, was just that. A solemn Day, devoted to prayer . All other activities were outlawed. The muskets were for surprise attacks by the Indians.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:06 PM

103 posts, read 620,938 times
This thread is full of great ideas! I am sure we will be trying some new dishes. The brown bread sounds interesting.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:01 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,699,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
Every Saturday for dinner we had red hot dogs and beans with brown bread. Italian sandwiches are a Maine food, a foot long roll with cheese, ham, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, pickles, olives, salt, pepper and olive oil. If you asked for it outside the state you would ask for something like a submarine sandwich. New England boiled dinner was a Sunday favorite. I remember picking blueberries for yummy blueberry muffins.
Are red hot dogs a brand or are they actually the color red? I've seen red hot dogs in stores here. I believe they're skinless?!?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,581,171 times
Red Dye #40 baby...!!!

Mmm...Mmm...Good!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:08 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Are red hot dogs a brand or are they actually the color red? I've seen red hot dogs in stores here. I believe they're skinless?!?
They're red! They're not skinless they have a case that snaps when you bite into them. Locals sometimes refer to them as "Red Snappers." which is a take off on a type of fish. It helps confuse unsuspecting tourists. Nothing like a few "red snappers" and some baked beans and brown bread ,,,a traditional Saturday night Maine meal. Just make sure you're down wind from anyone you like an hour or so after finishing dinner as methane can be a problem.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:05 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
many brands(companies) make "natural casing" franks

the two most popular in maine (traditionally) was kirschner, and jordans
(rice's around bangor area) old neighborhood, makes a good natural casing hot dog also.
schultz was a popular brand around southern maine (made with some veal)

kirshner,(from augusta) and jordans (from bangor) were the two powerhouse brands in maine, kirschner bought jordans out,quite a few years back, and tyson bought kirschners, a few yrs back. now, neither is made in maine,,,but i do believe w.a. bean (bangor) is now making the rice's hot dog..

Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 PM

198 posts, read 354,877 times
Finnan haddy, smelts, fiddleheads, bubble and squeak, salt cod, coffee ice cream, tongue and cheeks, lobster pie, spruce gum, roast woodchuck.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:13 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
I thought I tasted cardoman or some other unusual hot dog spice in the red doggies?????

Old 04-29-2008, 03:19 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Default Macaroni scallop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Macaroni Scallop? is that like mac and cheese the real way (box not included?)
when I hear a new englander say scallop as in scalloped potatoes or summer squash I think of a casserole thickened with crushed saltines and having butter and cream or milk and black pepper. Scalloped tomatoes had bread croutons instead of crackers and no milk.....scallopped macaroni....????? maybe macaroni with cracker crumbs and milk???????

I hope someone will fill us in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine