Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 03:14 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,709,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
You're nuts. Maine is going to seem cold and claustrophobic to you - it's a "small sky" place year-round, with low mountains, and unforgiving winters. You're leaving arguably the most beautiful state in the union for an also-ran version of it.
I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything in Washington if my taxes were killing me. Big sky or not. Maine is just right for many of us. Leave Washington to the hipsters who want government running their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 04:01 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Montana is the 'big sky' state.

When I lived in Washington it was overcast and drizzling nearly every day, who could ever see the sky?

Old 06-18-2020, 10:15 AM

840 posts, read 762,919 times
I too live in WA (Seattle) and am thinking of relocating to Maine. It’s beautiful here but has become increasingly unlivable due to cost, crowds, many homeless and druggies camped out all over. So Maine sounds nice.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:44 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,071,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I too live in WA (Seattle) and am thinking of relocating to Maine. It’s beautiful here but has become increasingly unlivable due to cost, crowds, many homeless and druggies camped out all over. So Maine sounds nice.
Its nicer than it sounds.
the highway sign says welcome to Maine, we are open for business.

Many people understandably fret over the ability to find a job, there might not be an abundance of jobs but theres no shortage of work for the industrious types.
My neighbor does deliveries for a woman who grows micro vegetables, he works a couple of days a week and said he did 80 drops from patten up to Preque Isle. Who would have thought?
I was interested in trying the product but its way too rich$$ for me.

Neighbor lost power to his top floor, electricians don't call back, too busy looking for plum jobs.

Local plumber said he doesn't work from march until september, takes the summer off.

We need to replace our wooden front steps, we can't find anyone to build it.

As I say, not many jobs advertised but no shortage of opportunity to work.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:38 AM

22 posts, read 15,940 times
In terms of natural beauty, Maine reminds me of Eastern Washington. The weather is harsher but the cost of living is a lot lower.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 4,873 times
Along with lower cost of living, fewer crowds, less traffic, a more rural lifestyle, we're looking forward to real winters again. We spent most of our lives in Idaho, so we're used to snow and cold and difficult driving conditions. Had enough of the gray skies, even when it's not raining. Although today it's gorgeous, sunshine and close to 90 degrees.
Trying to pin down accurate travel info for Maine. Thinking of either late July or early September. It looks like a negative test within 72 hours before arrival is all that is needed. We'll be calling around to find out if hotels, restaurants, etc., will be open. Our original thought for our first trip was that we would just drive without much of a plan. Now looks like we'll focus on Bangor and vicinity. It seems to be an area with jobs and lower cost property.
I'd appreciate any suggestions of things to do, places to go/stay, anything recommended for a first trip to Maine. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:50 PM

8,507 posts, read 8,828,017 times
One job list Logging Equipment Operator Jobs in Lincoln, ME | Bangor Daily News
(the top few)

Jackman is in NE. But maybe other jobs will come up near Bangor. It is a Bangor publication.

Another: https://www.indeed.com/q-Forestry-l-Maine-jobs.html

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-23-2020 at 07:02 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 07:30 PM

840 posts, read 762,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Its nicer than it sounds.
the highway sign says welcome to Maine, we are open for business.

Many people understandably fret over the ability to find a job, there might not be an abundance of jobs but theres no shortage of work for the industrious types.
My neighbor does deliveries for a woman who grows micro vegetables, he works a couple of days a week and said he did 80 drops from patten up to Preque Isle. Who would have thought?
I was interested in trying the product but its way too rich$$ for me.

Neighbor lost power to his top floor, electricians don't call back, too busy looking for plum jobs.

Local plumber said he doesn't work from march until september, takes the summer off.

We need to replace our wooden front steps, we can't find anyone to build it.

As I say, not many jobs advertised but no shortage of opportunity to work.
I think I am going to look into moving there. I am semi retired but would look for a pt job probably. Are the bugs really that bad there?

Old 06-24-2020, 05:15 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,071,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I think I am going to look into moving there. I am semi retired but would look for a pt job probably. Are the bugs really that bad there?

I've had 1 moscuitto bite in 3 years and no black fly bites.
theres a stream 100 yards from the house.

My neighbor ******* about his bug bites as he walks around in shorts, holds his door wide open waiting for the dog to come in. His house has lots of skeeters, I have never seen one in my house.

And I stay out of the woods.
I have a net bug jacket with full head netting, its only worn in spring, after that I don't need it.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:59 AM

7,385 posts, read 4,169,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I've had 1 moscuitto bite in 3 years and no black fly bites.
theres a stream 100 yards from the house.

My neighbor ******* about his bug bites as he walks around in shorts, holds his door wide open waiting for the dog to come in. His house has lots of skeeters, I have never seen one in my house.

And I stay out of the woods.
I have a net bug jacket with full head netting, its only worn in spring, after that I don't need it.
I don't know. I can sit outside with my husband. I'll be covered with welts and he won't get a single bite!

So basically, it's no different from NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: