Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:30 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,288,148 times

Advertisements

i guess i would lean towards gardiner a bit, i previously posted both areas i wouldnt have a problem with (and still dont) my son has gone up thru the augusta school district, and ive had no major issues whatsoever,
the area /neighborhood around hussey's school has many houses close together, a few streets over a new hannaford (supermarket) will be built (to replace the old cony high school)
with the new bridge in augusta, much traffic congestion around the rotaries has decreased, however, still, between 4-6 it is quite heavy.

gardiner has many nice areas, a nice park, an old main street, a boat launch into the kennebec river, which you can boat down to bath/popham (the ocean)
many places to fish, a 2 minute drive you are out in the country
pleasant pond (good size lake) is minutes away with a public beach (peacock beach)
the interstate is just a few minutes away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 01:22 PM

23 posts, read 71,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elciddicle View Post
My family and I are relocating to Maine in June and we are looking for
a place to rent in the Augusta area. So far, we found two homes we
really like, and we are trying to decide.

We especially like the home in Augusta but everyone I talk to warns me
against living in the city. Is it really bad? The home we like is on
the east side of the river, right near the Hussey Elementary School.
Does anybody know of that neighborhood and the school?

The other home, also very nice but more expensive with heating issues
is in Gardiner. It is close to the Laura E Richards school, which
should be decent. Am I crazy to consider Augusta over Gardiner?

Some additional info that might help: We are renting and we will be
there two years max and my daughter will be starting Kindergarten this
fall, so I am only concerned with her very early education. She has no
special needs and in fact a smart little thing who I would like to see
challenged. I checked the school comparison sites but just couldn't
get a feel for the atmosphere of these schools or the neighborhoods in
which they are housed. Unfortunately financially and time wise it
doesn't look like we are able to come for a visit to check out the
homes and schools, hence my need to rely on your wisdom. Thanks.
Hello. I live about 3 miles from Hussey School. It's a nice school. There's a park about 200 yards from it. Beautifully wooded area. Nice, middle class neighborhood with lots of kids nearby. Augusta to me is not a "real city" but an overgrown big town. The roads here have been chewed up by a really bad winter and can be challenging to drive on sometimes. But you are close to the hospital ( Maine General), McDonalds, gas stations, etc. In Gardiner, you would find yourself having to travel to Augusta for things that are not there. It's more expensive there, but its a quiet, historical town with little antique shops (which I love) and restaurants that know everyone who walks in. I like both but with the price of gas I would choose Augusta. All the best to you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine