Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLogger View Post
Next question: when do people in mid-coast (Belfast area) usually put on their snow tires? Don't want to wear the tires on warm dry pavement nor wait until snow is actually falling
Hi, I'm in Belfast too. People here put on their winter tires the day before the big storm. Or, if they make it through the first big storm with summer tires, then they wait until the day before the next big storm. It's pretty funny to go by the tire warehouse and see the packed bays, when for weeks they were empty. Of course it's not funny if you need to get your tires on so you can keep driving, and every shop in town you call can't fit you in, even the guy who does your regular repairs and stickers. ask me how i know... Also be prepared for some major sticker shock on mounting and balancing, at least if you're used to small-town prices, that's mostly gone now.
P.s. if you plan to keep your jeep consider fluid film. bj's does it locally, they are friendly. i have found searsport auto sprays a lot more goop for the same price, tho they will get it all over the rubber bushings, wires, etc. and it will stink you out for a couple weeks lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 04:07 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,065 times
Friends who put on snow tires have already done so. First snow Hancock County, 2018 was November 15. I tried to get my tires rotated in early December two years ago and there was a 2-week waiting period for an appointment.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:12 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Friends who put on snow tires have already done so. First snow Hancock County, 2018 was November 15. I tried to get my tires rotated in early December two years ago and there was a 2-week waiting period for an appointment.
Looks like 1st snows will fall next week. Maybe this weekend is a good time to throw them on. Unless people still want to wait for the bigger one which isn't happening yet. Always good to save the tires from getting worn out for no reason.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:46 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Maine has many different micro-climates.

4X4 is mostly useful if you plan to do a lot of off-road mudding.

Most Maine municipalities seem to be pretty good at snow removal. So unless you plan to do a lot of commuting at 2am, thick snowfall on the roads is not much of an issue.

My vehicles do not have high clearance. So far after 12 years in Maine, it has only been an issue for me, within my own driveway. If the fresh snow reaches about 6 inches parts of our vehicles begin dragging in the snow and by about 8 inches our vehicles will high-center and there is not enough weight on the tires to keep forward momentum going. But has only happened to us, in our driveway. That is when I need to startup my tractor and blow our driveway clear.

The real issue here in my township is black ice. Our town is 'low-lying' along a river. All of our township is within flood plain and most of our township is peat bog. When fog rises up off all that standing water, and if the pavement is below freezing, the fog will freeze on the pavement, and it forms a thin layer of ice. The pavement looks perfectly clean and dry. But you can not stand on it. Any attempt to stand on black ice will result in you hurting yourself. It is slick.

We have found that studded tires can grip on the ice, and give us steerage [a nautical term]. Otherwise a parked car will slide down an incline if that incline has black ice on it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine