Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 09:14 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,137,345 times

Advertisements

While Maine will experience nothing even remotely like the south, Downeast is looking at 2-4 inches of rain, 30+ wind gusts, and high surf and waves.

Our boat club is pulling in the gangplank down to the floats and club members are being asked to put their dinghies on the shore.

We’ve have bigger Nor’easters in the winter, but with the leaves on the trees we could loose power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 10:20 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,250,072 times
Wow, I hadn't seen anything about this yet. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:30 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,705,083 times
Every year, people go down onto the rocks to take photos of the big waves. Most years somebody is killed doing it. You don't need to do that any more. Let the drone pilots take the pics and you stay inside with a hot cider.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Every year, people go down onto the rocks to take photos of the big waves. Most years somebody is killed doing it. You don't need to do that any more. Let the drone pilots take the pics and you stay inside with a hot cider.
Hancock Emergency Management published a photo on Facebook from 2009 when two tourists were killed while being washed over the rocks in into the rocks below in an unexpected big wave at Gorham Mountain off the Loop Road on MDI.

We’ll probably go watch, but from a safe distance. I very very much doubt the waves will go over the loop road, but they will probably flood out the road at Seawall.

I’m glad we took our dinghy out last week.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
in '86 I was working at forest avenue Hannaford...in Portland .... hurricane Gloria was coming up the coast... and hitting maine on this day
the place was crazy ...panic buying.....I got out later in the day drove "home" to my grandmothers house in Kennebunkport...…. my sister and I walked out on the breakwater at the mouth of the Kennebunk river..... it was a magnificent sight.....60-70mph winds....

Old 09-06-2019, 04:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,705,083 times
The last big blow and heavy rain we had was "Bob" about a decade ago,

Old 09-06-2019, 04:31 PM

4,544 posts, read 12,415,392 times
In 1986, I was in Norwalk, Connecticut when Gloria arrived. I didn't go into work that day (NYC), and stayed home to watch the storm because it looked like the eye might roll directly over.

Near the peak of the storm, (it was just below hurricane status), I went outside near our urban shoreline by the docks. The rain felt like needles to the face and really hurt. When the eye floated over, a group of guys came out to play a short game of baseball in the street. When the storm left, there wasn't a lot of local damage other than boats being left high and dry on the shore. Long Island had already taken the brunt.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
In 1986, I was in Norwalk, Connecticut when Gloria arrived. I didn't go into work that day (NYC), and stayed home to watch the storm because it looked like the eye might roll directly over.
Back in 1954, I was 5 years old, and Hurricane Hazel went right over our house in New Jersey(the only year in the first 62, I lived out side of PA).

IN the middle, it got quiet and we ent outside(it was night). My father told us to look up and see the eye. My 4 year old sister and I looked up but we could only see stars; there was no eye.

In a similar vein, my wife and I were camping with my 3 year old daughter at Henlopen State Park in Delaware. We could hear fog horn of the Ferry. My daughter asked what it was, and my wife said, “It the car carrying Ferry making a noise in the fog.” My daughter says, “I guess carrying all those cars makes the Fairy grunt pretty loudly. It must be a pretty big fairy."

Old 09-07-2019, 06:24 AM

12,529 posts, read 9,615,294 times
We were on Ocracoke Island, NC this past week on a family vacation when mandatory evacuation orders came down there. Everyone was pretty disappointed, but it's a good thing we got out, as Ocracoke turned out to be as hard hit as any place in the US by Dorian - the village looked more like Venice in the peak high tide from the photos I've seen. Hope the islanders can avoid too much water damage, many have their houses up on poles, but many don't. Some of the roads were obviously wiped out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine