Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 10:26 AM

9 posts, read 6,248 times

Advertisements

Hello! Staying near Rockland in October and my GF and I aren't big seafood fans (I know, I know)...any recommendations for Mexican or Fried Chicken from lets say Boothbay Harbor to Rockland? I cant find much online. Also throw in Chinese, and subs ( sandwiches).

Oh and KFC doesn't count lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 12:01 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
The Rockland Deli had great subs eons ago, but not sure if they are still around or the same.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:51 PM

12,443 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Camden is about 10-15 minutes away from Rockland, and 4 area places that you can get prepared food, including both sandwiches and some entree-like items to go are:

French and Brawn grocery right in the center of town:
https://www.frenchandbrawn.com/

Megunticook Market, just a mile off Main St on Washington St (Rte 105)
https://www.megunticookmarket.com/

...and the Hannafords in Camden at 145 Elm St (Rte 1) also has some stuff that I have grabbed from time to time
https://www.hannaford.com/locations/...annaford-21035

...and a little further afield, the Lincolnville General Store, which despite the down-home name, actually has some fairly fancy but yummy items these days:
a little store on the coast of Maine

I have enjoyed things from all 4 of these places, so I tend to hit all of them. My favorite if I had to pick just one is probably the Megunticook Market. I see a lot of the locals go there too, and the tradesmen are hitting them for sandwiches over their lunch break. The Lincolnville General Store is also really cool, love that old building.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:46 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Camden is about 10-15 minutes away from Rockland, and 4 area places that you can get prepared food, including both sandwiches and some entree-like items to go are:

French and Brawn grocery right in the center of town:
https://www.frenchandbrawn.com/

Megunticook Market, just a mile off Main St on Washington St (Rte 105)
https://www.megunticookmarket.com/

...and the Hannafords in Camden at 145 Elm St (Rte 1) also has some stuff that I have grabbed from time to time
https://www.hannaford.com/locations/...annaford-21035

...and a little further afield, the Lincolnville General Store, which despite the down-home name, actually has some fairly fancy but yummy items these days:
a little store on the coast of Maine

I have enjoyed things from all 4 of these places, so I tend to hit all of them. My favorite if I had to pick just one is probably the Megunticook Market. I see a lot of the locals go there too, and the tradesmen are hitting them for sandwiches over their lunch break. The Lincolnville General Store is also really cool, love that old building.
Lainey the owner, has done a very good job with that store (megunticook mkt)

to the op.. id do a google search I have no first hand recommendations...

kfc probly sells more fried chicken in the state than anywhere else...

Old 08-26-2019, 04:58 PM

12,443 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Lainey the owner, has done a very good job with that store (megunticook mkt)
:
:
I am often visiting for a long weekend and will eat out one night but looking for less expensive alternatives for the other nights... will either cook or get take-away food. The Megunticook Market has a good variety of creative options that they alter daily, quality and taste are both good and the price splits the difference between eating out and cooking for yourself, baked goods are very good too. I am in there looking for something for dinner, and haven't tried the sandwiches yet, but see lots of locals heading back to the sandwich counter if I come in around lunchtime, and if a hungry local carpenter is picking them, they must be pretty good and a decent value too.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:43 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
I feel certain the aforementioned choices have excellent food. There is a Subway in Rockport, but I would choose a local (non national chain) business for subs.

You could probably pick up some fried chicken at Cracker Barrel in Portland and take it with you.... if you gotta have fried chicken, that might be a good choice for you.

Mexican? Take a field trip to Milbridge. I googled and found one Mexican place in or near Rockland with a 3.7 rating--not so great imo. There's a Mexican food truck (the latest craze) in Brunswick (Taco the Town with a 4.7 rating). Pick up some food on your way up the coast. https://www.facebook.com/tacothetownME/

Old 09-03-2019, 09:05 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Check out Brady's in Boothbay Harbor. Wonderful food and people, with plenty of non-seafood items on the menu.
https://www.facebook.com/Bradyspubandgrub

Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
I second the road trip to Milbridge to Vazquez. Best I've ever had in the US of A.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:31 PM

9 posts, read 6,248 times
Thanks for the ideas...we are trying to avoid chains so will try the local places.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:11 PM

319 posts, read 346,571 times
You aren't going to find any really good Mexican food here in Maine (although I have not been to the place in Millbridge, maybe that one is good). The Mexican food trucks are ok - not amazing but not bad. There is one in Damariscotta and one in Brunswick. We like El Rayo in Scarborough but not would say it is something to go out of the way for.

Fried chicken - we like Chester's from the gas stations that offer it. It's the best we have found.

Chinese, no. Save that for a big city.

Like others have said, the General Stores in the smaller towns around the Midcoast area often have the best food. Some offer amazingly good fresh foods. Try them - they are about the best thing going in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine