Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:16 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times

Advertisements

It happened in the 80's and is happening again. Taxes are driving the price of beer and wine through the roof!
Our comedy show in Augusta also known as the State Legislature has decided to tax beer and wine to support Dirigo Health Care. YAY..... MORE TAXES!
It's time to brew your own beer. It's easy, fun,and the beer is really good!
Get a pre hopped malt kit, 5 gallon bucket, a pot and a glass 5 gallon water jug(carboy), a package of yeast,some empty bottles and a capper and you're in business. You can make a 5 gallon batch of beer for cheap money! If you like doing it you can get into all grain brews which is like making bread from scratch instead of throwing frozen dough in the oven.
Tell the Legislature to take a hike, make your own beer! Join a brewing club. Lets mobilize to bankrupt the Dirigo Health Care system and tell them NO MORE TAXES! Zymer jump in here anytime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 04:25 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Got me thinking. There aren't many homebrew equipment/supply stores around Bangor.

Maybe a combination store and brewing school? Those who want to learn can brew/age/bottle on premise?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:43 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
We have been getting our barley, etc from the Natural foods store in Bangor.

I have been shopping for a new 'reflux condenser column' and I wish there was a store who carried them locally. Any ideas Zymer?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I have been shopping for a new 'reflux condenser column' and I wish there was a store who carried them locally. Any ideas Zymer?
Not local, but I know of a store that might have one, if it's what I think you're looking for. (And it is local to my other house, so if it is what you need, it could easily be purchased and transported, if you didn't want to order it over the 'net.)

Old 04-16-2008, 05:37 PM

FB, is this what you want?
Attached Thumbnails
Time For Another Homebrewing Revolution!-column.jpg  

Old 04-16-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:

A little home made EVERCLEAR Forest?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Got me thinking. There aren't many homebrew equipment/supply stores around Bangor.

Maybe a combination store and brewing school? Those who want to learn can brew/age/bottle on premise?
There used to be some nice brewing supply stores in Portland I personally haven't home brewed for quite some time so I don't know what is still around. There was the Whip and Spoon which I know is gone that ran classes and had a good supply section. There is a lot of overhead in a well stocked homebrew supply store! If a homebrew supplier could get hooked up with a brewery to get a discount on grain and hops it would save a fortune over the prices the home brew warehouses charge for small quantities.
They say U Brew's are popular in Canada. CG confirm?
These are places where you use the breweries equipment for a fee . They're usually around 15-50 gallon brewlength houses.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
FB, is this what you want?
A small portion of that device is a condensor.

I just need to replace a condensor, with a slightly larger model.

My previous condensor is too small for our needs.

I have looked at a couple on-line sites that market these, though I do prefer to be able to handle and feel such equipment before spending so much $.

Therefore I wish that we had some local outlet.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
A little home made EVERCLEAR Forest?
Perhaps.

Or off-road vehicle fuels.

Or fuel for our power generator.

Or white distilled vinegar.

Or ....

Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
A small portion of that device is a condensor.

I just need to replace a condensor, with a slightly larger model.

My previous condensor is too small for our needs.

I have looked at a couple on-line sites that market these, though I do prefer to be able to handle and feel such equipment before spending so much $.

Therefore I wish that we had some local outlet.
Yeah, I know what you mean about wanting to see and touch it first.

I don't know if they have different sizes available. That particular one, the coulumn is a bit over 3', and the kettle is 29.5 quarts. Stainless steel construction. I don't know if they sell just parts. The tag is $400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine