Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:36 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_MD View Post
I was not suggesting that the OP owed anybody any explanations and simply gave suggestions as to the manner in which he could give his neighbors just enough assurance to back off. If he doesn't actually have a phone, he doesn't have to tell them he does, was just coming up with some quick talking points to give the neighbors no excuse to make more fear-based assumptions and call the police. I think a lot of assumptions have been made about what they should have done when they first moved in vs what their motivations are now. My point was to get them to stop calling the authorities because the police etc cannot just ignore calls, they have to at least do a drive by and perhaps more based on how well they can assess the situation. They can't just blow off a report or 911 call because the last several times nothing ended up being wrong. Hope it ultimately works out.
The thing is, these jerks are from away. If there is one thing that living way up here does, it weeds out the wimps. You HAVE to be tough to survive here. That's the way it has always been. These people don't realize that.
They are importing their own way of doing things on people who are just fine and don't need it. (It would be one thing if the OP was lying in the driveway, not moving......)
Not appreciated.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:39 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The thing is, these jerks are from away. If there is one thing that living way up here does, it weeds out the wimps. You HAVE to be tough to survive here. That's the way it has always been. These people don't realize that.
They are importing their own way of doing things on people who are just fine and don't need it. (It would be one thing if the OP was lying in the driveway, not moving......)
Not appreciated.
If someone mentions this to them politely most likely everyone will be happier sooner. Otherwise they'll keep doing what they're used to, and wonder why everyone is cold to them.

Agreed they should have initiated this learning themselves, but given they haven't, helping them out is the next best thing.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:52 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
I assure you they can and do walk in, if the door is unlocked.
They certainly will--after they've knocked on the doors and called your name multiple times.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:05 PM

367 posts, read 421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They certainly will--after they've knocked on the doors and called your name multiple times.
Yes...but being in headphones or in the bathroom person won't hear them. It happens.

The person subjected to these calls gets their sense of privacy stolen, basically (even if it didn't come to anyone walking in)

Last edited by Usrname; 12-09-2018 at 07:18 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 03:34 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
All v good info. Ham radio is GREAT!
Bad news.
It's full of people talking.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:13 AM

23,563 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Some individuals choose a lifestyle perceived by others to be unconventional.

Risk is in the eye of the beholder.

I paddle rivers solo in the winter. I am aware of the possible dangers and yet I choose to follow this path.

One guy does things deemed unsafe by conventional standards. That is his choice and must be respected unless it endangers others.

Tolerate the undesirable official visits, they are now aware of your situation and will eventually stop, though will retain a concern for your safety and keep you in mind. Your age becomes a factor in their concern. The older you are the more concern generated.

Your neighbors will eventually quit calling the cops, et al as it becomes a case of crying wolf.

Redirect your energy from anger to other positive efforts important to you.

And never, ever take advice from anyone on the internet!!!!!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:06 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,857,841 times
Why don't you just go over and talk to them about it? You don't have to bring cookies, just be honest.

I would be pissed in your situation so I understand your sentiment, but stewing and steaming about it on the internet it is juvenile and accomplishes nothing.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:36 AM

367 posts, read 421,204 times
Oh I'm damn sure they won't bother the OP again -- not via wellness check calls -- the cops had made it very clear already they know who's the culprit here. They don't take kindly to those who love to waste their time.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:53 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,882,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karesuando1988 View Post
I don't feel like giving their nosy ways any leverage, is the thing.

The father in that family works for Border Patrol. He has a handgun and ability to use it as part of his employment.

This *ssholes are making me feel like every move I make is watched. I don't want to know them, at all, after their intrusive BS. Headlights on me in the dark?!

The understanding I had with the old neighbors who had that house before were, they could invite me to holiday stuff and picking up hay, but I probably NOT would show for holiday meals, and definitely wouldn't linger for pizza/soda after picking up hay. Social things make me uncomfortable.
I understand your not wanting to be bothered . I live on the north end of Pittsburg NH, a short spit to the Canadian border . I have 2 1/2 sections of land that has a hunting fishing lodge .

Well the long and short of it is sometimes my nearest neighbor, [ two miles through the woods] a retired logger and I meet half way in the woods and have a small campfire and talk about what pisses us off about things local and worldly .The past 5 weeks we have been on snow machines but with 4=5 feet on the ground it will be snowshoes next week. We hash out or grievances .Bull 5hit a little and leave with the world and our relationship in better shape than we met 2 hours earlier . Meet on neutral ground and talk .You may like them.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:27 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
I disagree completely with two of the last three posts. If somebody from away moves up here and starts to act like a jerk, the people who already live here are under no obligation to try to make them "see the light". Yes, if the newcomer is lucky, somebody will set them straight. But there is no obligation to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine