Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:57 PM

12,479 posts, read 9,570,120 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, the top-rated synthetic shakes (color retention, wind resistance, cracking resistance) found by Consumer Reports were the CertainTeed Cedar Impressions line.

They have a variety of configurations from individual shakes, each with their own subtle variations in color to panels of "straight edge perfection". The individual shakes probably look the best, but also cost the most to install. I am thinking on the double 7in staggered perfection panels myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 PM

846 posts, read 1,021,137 times
Thank you for the information

Old 06-21-2018, 09:27 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The individual shakes probably look the best, but also cost the most to install.
Actually, I have my vinyl shakes at the top of the house. No one can tell the difference. Its like putting prego on the floor. There is enough difference between pieces that people think its the real thing.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:29 AM

23,568 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
So I have decided to clad my home in architectural vinyl siding that resembles cedar shakes. I would prefer the real deal, but the reality of the situation is my ladder climbing days are rapidly coming to an end. One of my buddies who does this for a living in North Carolina is going to assist me which is awesome. He did tell me there is a sweet spot so to speak of weather where it is better to install it and asked me to inquire from the local populace as to if there were any better time to do so.
Thanks,
Pete
see the film "Blue Vinyl" and rethink the use of vinyl siding.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:06 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
You live in new Jersey. You don’t live off the coast of Maine. Lets imagine that you have to repaint your house for $10,000 every 5 years, and that by the 5 year it looks like crap.

Lets imagine that it is impossible to find a painter to even give you an estimate since they are all booked many years in advance. Meanwhile your house begins to deteriorate, you start to get water leaks, and it generally looks awful. The resell value plummets.

I’m sure that making vinyl causes all kind of problems, but in Maine we can only use latex paint which doesn’t last more than 5 years.

Here’s a place where they tell you never to use Latex PAINT ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR HOUSE: https://www.hunker.com/13413054/the-...of-latex-paint

What in the world do these people think we are supposed to use on our houses?????? Aluminum? Do you know how toxic making aluminum is?

Don’t use down in your clothing. Most down is pulled from the ducks in a violent way. Don’t use polyester either because it is a horrible plastic. Don’t eat any GMO food. Dis you know that the most ubiquitous grain is wheat? Its in everything. Do you know which grain is the most genetically modified and has been since it could be done? Yup, Wheat. All wheat is genetically modified. It goes on and on. Live out in the woods in a shack you built yourself and grow all your own food. How many of the 10 billion people on the planet can do that? not many.

Give me a break.

Last edited by slyfox2; 06-26-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
I have to make decisions that work for me based on a myriad of factors, some of which I included in my original post.I will allow you the same latitude when making decisions for yourself.
Thanks

Old 06-30-2018, 02:02 PM

599 posts, read 499,579 times
To the OP's original point. I am a retired builder who has nailed up many thousands of sq. feet of all kinds of vinyl siding products. There is no "optimal temperature" where everybody rushes out to install exterior vinyl siding products. When it gets too cold, and the stuff is shattering as you cut it, or hit it with a hammer, it's too cold. When it's too hot to work, you are dripping with sweat, and vinyl clapboard style sheets are so soft that it's like nailing overcooked spaghetti to the wall, you should be inside drinking a beer. During the 70-80 degrees between these extremes, any competent installer knows how to get it done right.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:53 AM

Thank you sir

Old 07-03-2018, 07:45 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Fo those intending to install vinyl siding themselves, take a look at the many videos available. Aside from making sure it stays level, the two most important things are not tailing the nails down tight and applying the siding from back to front as viewed from the road. You don't want to see the edges where they overlap.

If you nail the strips too tightly, the vinyl will buckle or ripple as it expands. It will creak and pop when it is extremely cold. It can even shatter when very cold.

Years ago,homeowners realized that aluminum siding and baseballs do not mix. You can'r fix the dents. If your rotary mower throws rocks and sticks, you can get holes in your vinyl. Don't throw away the small trimmed pieces left over when you do the job. You can use them to patch holes with caulk as the adhesive. They won't be visible. It works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine