Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,258,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
As someone who has unfortunate Extensive experience with mortal cancers, and specifically lung cancer, I have never heard of this theory. I can also tell you that lung cancers are among the very slowest developing cancers, until they reach a critical point at which time they nearly race through the afflicted's system. They are brutal, and torturous, and painful, and Very, Very hard to detect early. Perhaps the hardest of any type. If you are a smoker, or former smoker for any length of time (even if you quit 20 years ago), you are well advised to consult with oncologists at a specialized clinic or hospital with regard to the latest screening techniques ... there are some new advances that seem impressive. Too late for my family losses 12 years ago.

All that said, if your uncle and father-in-law died of lung cancer roughly a year after quitting smoking, the quitting had absolutely nothing to do with their disease and its progression. They would have had those tumors developing for a good number of years before they became detectable.

If you smoke, or did in the past, I am not exaggerating — nor trying to strike fear — you could be stricken Many Many years after being smoke free. Same goes for those trapped in proximity with significant amounts of second-hand smoke. Go schedule a consultation and continue with regular exams. If you happen to be stricken, and it IS detected early, lung cancer is often operable, successfully. Once it gets breaks out of its 'incubation' and is distributed through your lymph system, you are dealing with one of the two highest mortality cancers and it is nearly impossible to survive.

Consult. Stay on top of the latest developments. Do it often. It's the ONLY way to compensate for your past habit.

Good luck and best wishes to all of you.
Maybe you know your stuff, but I just want to point out that a majority of lung cancers are simply detected too late. Most people do not screen against lung cancer, or even get tested for it. Lung cancer can be detected at an early stage, but you have to specifically ask for a screening, which unfortunately is not a 'normal' thing to do because it is kind of an 'akward' thing to test for.

A few years ago I had a pretty good insurance plan through work and figured that since I didn't live the most healthy lifestyle I would take advantage of it and have a few things checked out. The physician that I saw was absolutely intrigued by what I wanted to get tested and screened for-things that men twice my age didn't get tested for yet. He just rolled his eyes at me.

For the record, I absolutely hate second hand smoke, but if someone wants to smoke that is their business. All that I ask is that you keep it away from me or to a minimum, unless you would like me to p**s on your clothes because I like to drink beer and well, when you drink a lot of beer you tend to p*e a lot. Fair trade, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauty4ashes View Post
I totally understand what you're saying... I am ALL for LESS government, not more. And people should be able to parent their children how they see fit.
But we're not really talking about parenting here. We're talking about safety and health.
Instant death from second hand smoke is not the issue. Parenting is not the issue.
This is just common sense. (The opposite of smoking. )
Car seats are cumbersome. But kids up to 8 years old are strapped into them everyday because a law was passed. And people are fined if they are caught not using them. This law is not about parenting. It's just a precaution to protect small people who cannot protect themselves.

I don't see how this law violates anyone's rights in any way. Limits and boundaries are necessary. And smoking is not on the bill of rights.
No but a RIGHT to privacy and pursuit of HAPPINESS is! No matter how well intended, ANY law which does not address the root problem is nothing but invasive, nanny state, feel good legislation. And yes we ARE talking about parenting because with all the information available about the hazzards of smoking today, intelligent well informed parents would not expose thier kids to smoke in the first place!
Car crashes kill kids. That's why there are car seats. I was once an innocent child riding in my father's car while my mother smoked. That was her business .... We were her kids not the States'. Through ignorance or just not having the correct information nearly EVERY mother in the 50's smoked around their kids ALL THE TIME.... it was their business. It is not the State's business. Sure the state can tell you to get shots if you want to send your kids to public schools. They can tell you to wear seatbelts in a car. They can arrest you for endangering a child by taking drugs in their presence. They can remove a child if you neglect them. But they should not be telling people how to run their families, whether to smoke around their kids or not, whether they should eat at McDonalds, watch South Park, listen to Hip Hop and Rap, participate in potentially hazardous sports like skiing and soccer. Where do you want to cut it off?? Most likely when the State decides to go after something YOU like to do whether YOU perceive it as hazardous or not. The next logical step for this is telling people they cannot smoke in their own homes around their own children. Are you for that too! Are you ready for the State to tell parents what they can and cannot feed their children? Are you ready for the State to tell parents what they can let their kids listen to for music? People really need to butt out (no pun intended )and mind their own business more! Especially the State Legislature! As I said before if the State wants to do something about smoking then do away with it completely. Then AND ONLY THEN do they have the moral high ground to stop you from smoking in any situation they see fit.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:28 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,909,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Maybe you know your stuff, but I just want to point out that a majority of lung cancers are simply detected too late. Most people do not screen against lung cancer, or even get tested for it. Lung cancer can be detected at an early stage, but you have to specifically ask for a screening, ...
In this case, unfortunately, I do know my stuff. I would gladly return to another hundred tours of duty in Vietnam (I know my stuff there, too) than go through what I have with lung cancer. Also unfortunately, I know that I will hold the hands of more friends as they die from this most brutal form of the disease.

The majority of lung cancers are indeed detected too late — primarily because of what I described in the previous post. It is a very slow developing cancer which lies in relatively latent and mostly undetectable state for a Long time. Mesothelioma, a non-smoking-caused form of lung cancer, can strike a senior adult 50 years after exposure to asbestos as a child. Smoking cancers are nearly as bad. If a person does not screen for it, by the time it manifests it is typically too late. That reality is why it is the nation's number one killer cancer. And even if a person Does screen for it, it is often undetected until too late. Ask any oncologist if what I write is true. I have had specific experience, repeatedly. My wife was experiencing some pain and other health difficulties for a year before detection. Her family had a history of cancer. She suspected it. She had lung x-rays and was misdiagnosed twice by doctors before they biopsied. Way too late. I finished raising my 4 children on my own. My brother's doctors prescribed lifts in one shoe to try and compensate for his "back pain" for over a year before his cancer was detected. Just a couple months prior to his diagnosis, his doctors gave him a complete exam and declared him exceptionally healthy for his age. He ribbed me about it as he was five years my senior. That was twelve years ago now. I have educated myself with some depth on the subject — for my childrens' benefit since there are lung cancers on both sides of their lineage.

There are new improved sceening techniques, as I wrote before. Find them. Take advantage of them. Then, if you are unfortunately one of the victims of lung cancer, you have the earliest detection possible and a scrapping chance to kick butt and recover.

Footnotes: I knew a (nasty) woman, a neighbor, who was a heavy smoker for life ... older than my wife and brother by 20 years. Her lung cancer was discovered early before it had metastasized ... a number of years before my wife's disease surfaced. This woman had surgery and one lung was removed. She came home and continued to smoke, heavily, out on her back porch for the next 15 years before dying of other unrelated causes.

I also can report that my closest friend, who never smoked, had 2/3 of one lung removed for cancer nearly 10 years ago now and has recovered, is pretty healthy and working full time as a carpenter still.

But the statistics don't lie: lung cancer is the number one killer cancer and among the hardest to detect early.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
All that I ask is that you keep it away from me or to a minimum, unless you would like me to p**s on your clothes because I like to drink beer and well, when you drink a lot of beer you tend to p*e a lot. Fair trade, eh?
Works for me!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:56 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
Everyone of the people on this forum over 30 has ridden in a car with a parent, grandparent, neighbor or other family member that smoked before they were 16 and not one person died as a result of it.
And may we now have a moment of silence for those who are not here with us because their parents smoked in the car.

It's not as simple as saying we survived so everyone else did too.

My mother smoked until three days before dying of cancer. She thought nobody knew she'd been hiding her smoking for 25+ years. We weren't that stupid. She smelled of smoke. Her car smelled of smoke in spite of putting the window down. Her breath smelled of smoke no matter how many Canada mints she ate.

My dad quit two years ago after smoking for 51 years. It wasn't easy.

I don't care if adults smoke as long as it's not around me or my family, and as long as they're not poisoning someone else's children. It's illegal to beat your kids. Why is it acceptable to expose them to toxic smoke that can kill them?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 AM

169 posts, read 551,048 times
now that we've allowed the federal government to snoop into what books we take out of the library i can hardly see how anyone could object to "the ignorant parent law designed to protect underage children from second hand smoke".

while i know smoking cuts accross all social classes, what are everyones thoughts about which class is most heavily affected??????...........is it mostly a curse on working class folks?

as my now departed daddy used to say (just quoting and not meaning to offend)
"fire on one end, fool on the other"

Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I understand completely Star!! I ashamedly am a "backslider". After having quit smoking for almost 5 years,.. I went back to it. Had to have 'em. I'm trying again now. I don't drink, can't remember the last time I touched the stuff but the dam smokes (sigh).
I'm trying to think of this "crud" as my cure for smoking. LOL
I haven't smoked since I got sick so maybe there's a silver lining to this eh?

Better the "crud" to cure you than having to be on oxygen (as my dad was when he quit). <g> Hope you are feeling better. K is in bed now and I am still taking it easy, though I do need to head out to the IGA to get some celery for in the chicken noodle soup I have in the crock pot.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
I have to go there too!! Bread, milk and basics have run low.

Ya know, odd thing,... My Mum smoked for at least 40 years. She quit after she had bypass surgery in her late 70's. Dad smoked kinda like me, off and on through his lifetime. Neither had lung cancer, and their issues were unrelated to smoking. My Grandmother never smoked in her life and died of emphysema.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
And may we now have a moment of silence for those who are not here with us because their parents smoked in the car.

It's not as simple as saying we survived so everyone else did too.

My mother smoked until three days before dying of cancer. She thought nobody knew she'd been hiding her smoking for 25+ years. We weren't that stupid. She smelled of smoke. Her car smelled of smoke in spite of putting the window down. Her breath smelled of smoke no matter how many Canada mints she ate.

My dad quit two years ago after smoking for 51 years. It wasn't easy.

I don't care if adults smoke as long as it's not around me or my family, and as long as they're not poisoning someone else's children. It's illegal to beat your kids. Why is it acceptable to expose them to toxic smoke that can kill them?
Because that toxic smoke is legally sanctioned by the government. When the goverment decides that everyone's life is worth saving and bans smoking outright and I mean completely shuts down the tobacco growers including exports,bans all tobacco sales in the US,admits that smoking causes cancer and other diseases, makes clean air a constitutional right, they have no business telling people what to do with regard to smoking. The sun causes skin cancer are we going to pass a law that parents MUST put sun screen on kids under 16 years old or face criminal penalties?
IT'S NOBODY'S BUSINESS BUT THE PARENTS! Are they idiots?? Sure! are they allowed to be idiots in America. yes. Is it YOUR business how anyone chooses to raise their children? NO.
Suppose Christians (just for example) decided that anyone raising their chidren in a non Christian home were condemning them to he** and passed legislation to ban parents from taking their kids to any other church besides a Christian one. Would you finally call that intrusive? Don't laugh ....I'm sure in the 50's the thought of non-smoking restaurants was laughable too.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
Our economy once depended heavily on tobacco. Tobacco was bartered and used as a form of currency. All the "glamorous people" used to smoke in the movies, even Lucy and Ricky smoked though they had twin beds! Times have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine